PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan Audio Chord Wizard - 07/24/22 05:36 PM
Spent some serious time with this feature over the past days. Have to admit I needed to go to the video Demo (see insert).

This app is a beast, so powerful, so promising, but at the same time so difficult to accomplish the goal of creating a full backing chart from a audio .mp3 file. I thought I could just wing it, but too many details. The video tutorial was really helpful. But at this time, while I can't say it can't be done. I can say I can't do it - well at least with ACW alone.

It really takes a high level of skill to really understand a challenging song. In this case the project was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ0pXUb5jVU

The song is played rubato with a mixture of 2/4 and 4/4 bars. Of course ACW is no help with this detail.
The chords were easy to locate on the web. However, I was not happy with the chords the ACW pulled up. I think the vocals confuse both bar assignments and chord ID. I spent a day trying to do it with the ACW and my ear before I went and got the sheet music. Humbling to realize how poor my ears are.

I am not done yet, it likely will just take a lot more time.

Just sharing. grin

Attached picture acw video tutorial.JPG
Posted By: DrDan Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 07/24/22 05:45 PM
Or, I guess I don't have to reinvent the wheel in this case... crazy

http://www.geocities.ws/jayceewicked/#for%20good
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 07/24/22 07:13 PM
I listened to several parts of the song. I would imagine that this particular style would be very challenging for ACW, which essentially attempts to track a fixed tempo while the presentation actually incorporates a huge amount of variance rhythmically.

At the same time ACW is attempting to work out chords when the dominance in the song is really a single voice.

Don't blame your ears, I think this song really is an outlier. And hey, even the pianist is reading from the sheet music grin
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 07/24/22 07:24 PM
for me ive found sometimes acw works ok others not.
depends on the song or piece and tempo..

the biggest obstacle i face is the time to enter all the bar markers precisely. which i find ever harder if the tempo of a song is fast. its easier if its a slow tempo.
which is why i put in a wish awhile back to have an option in acw to slow the tempo of any song so i can enter bar markers cos i can then more easily listen for drum beats.

om
Posted By: MarioD Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 07/24/22 07:58 PM
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
................ And hey, even the pianist is reading from the sheet music grin

WOW! Pianist can read music! I'm impressed laugh laugh laugh laugh

Ducking and running for cover!
Posted By: DrDan Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 07/24/22 08:26 PM
The sheet music instructs the pianist "Colla voce - Follow the solo voice" - an indication that the vocal part sings in a free manner and the other instruments should follow. When the vocals are in the mix it is near impossible (at least for me) to indentity where the count is. So setting the bar markers by ear or by transient, in ACW was not possible. However, when I isolated only the piano and mute the vocals it is easy to hear the 4/4, but I don't know a way to hear the 2/2 bars in the 4/4. Only the sheet music can tell me that.

Attached picture For Good Sheet.JPG
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 07/25/22 01:16 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Of course we can smile (well as long as it's only one note at a time and looks like this):

Attached picture 2022-07-25_14-14-33.jpg
Posted By: MarioD Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 07/25/22 09:46 AM

Of course we can smile (well as long as it's only one note at a time and looks like this):

LOL

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Posted By: DrDan Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 07/25/22 11:03 AM

If you are a guitar player, you just need one more picture to be a piano guy... grin

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Audio Chord Wizard - 07/25/22 03:22 PM
I would try learning the Audio Chord Wizard or ACW, using songs that I already knew the key data. For example export audio files of Band-in-a-Box, or BiaB, demo songs then run those files through the ACW.

How do the ACW results compare with a demo song chord sheet? The main thing you can change that greatly influences the ACW results is bar 1 alignment. Try moving it around and see how the position changes the results.

If you have an audio file of a song that modulates, has tempo changes or multiple time signatures try dividing the audio file into smaller multiple files.
© PG Music Forums