PG Music Home
Posted By: swingbabymix Can BIAB analyze chord progressions? - 08/03/22 01:40 AM
Can BIAB analyze chord progressions?
I like this song, but I can't confirm the chord progression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs-Ka956FZg

I use other software to analyze the song is B minor
But I feel like it's E minor?
But also like B major. I'm confused
Posted By: Brille Re: Can BIAB analyze chord progressions? - 08/03/22 06:03 AM
Hello Swingbabymix,
Honestly, I don't try to figure out something like that with automatic chord analysis. It's much easier to type in Google "chords of Slidin' Derulo Kodak" and you'll immediately get pages showing the chord progression, in this case the main chords are Em, A , F#m, B7. You can try to interpret the chords as steps of a B scale, but I would not see it that way. For me, it is more a repeated shift of a II-V chord progression (not resolving to I) of the D major scale by a whole tone upwards, which is a very common figure at the end of jazz songs, for example (II-V-III-VI-II-V-I).
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Can BIAB analyze chord progressions? - 08/03/22 06:05 AM
Yes, it can.

Please view the videos on using the Audio Chord Wizard.

Posted By: rayc Re: Can BIAB analyze chord progressions? - 08/03/22 06:38 AM
Part of the problem with typing a chord request into a search engine is the variety of answers...and that it's quite possible none are accurate.
I grabbed the 1st result from a Duck Duck Go search and the chords are listed as
Em A B Em7.

Audio Chord wizard isn't going to be 100% either BUT at least there's some control over the result in that it can be tweaked to suit.

It is an horrid video...I didn't get far into it or the song.
Originally Posted By: Brille
Hello Swingbabymix,
Honestly, I don't try to figure out something like that with automatic chord analysis. It's much easier to type in Google "chords of Slidin' Derulo Kodak" and you'll immediately get pages showing the chord progression, in this case the main chords are Em, A , F#m, B7. You can try to interpret the chords as steps of a B scale, but I would not see it that way. For me, it is more a repeated shift of a II-V chord progression (not resolving to I) of the D major scale by a whole tone upwards, which is a very common figure at the end of jazz pieces, for example (II-V-III-VI-II-V-I).

Thanks for the analysis.

Here is another explanation I see

Em7 - A - Bsus4 - B - Em7- A -F#

iv7 - bVII - I

B major

Thanks for all the replies above
Originally Posted By: rayc

+1
Posted By: MarioD Re: Can BIAB analyze chord progressions? - 08/03/22 09:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
Originally Posted By: rayc

+1

Another +1

This is not something that I would listen too or play but others like it so it is for them and not me. Everybody is different.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Can BIAB analyze chord progressions? - 08/03/22 10:10 AM
There are other ways to get chord charts which I didn't go into. I just answered the original question.
Good luck with the song. With a bit of effort I think you can get something works for you.
Posted By: Brille Re: Can BIAB analyze chord progressions? - 08/03/22 10:52 AM
Audiotrack,
You're absolutely right, the question was "Is there an automatic chord analysis in Band in a Box?", and your answer with the reference to the ACW is exactly right :-).
In fact the ACW is rather unsuitable for this kind of music, I tried it with the song in question and the ACW result has indeed hardly anything to do with the actual chords. That's why I referred to the google search.
However, the ACW actually works surprisingly well at times with music where chords can be heard clearly and distinctly.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Can BIAB analyze chord progressions? - 08/03/22 11:38 AM
Brille, Many thanks.
Actually, I think everyone who contributed was right in their own way. They all added value to the underlying requirement. I agree that ACW is possibly not ideal for this song (although I didn't actually try it). I also agree that other ways to find the chord layout would potentially deliver a better outcome. So the multiple suggestions are all worthy of consideration.

I hope SBM posts his result once the song is completed.
sbm.

i was taught in music class ages ago ...
'the bass normally gives the chord progression away'.
this has stood me in good stead over many years playing along with my fav songs...and figuring out chords.

another technique , if your stuck on a certain chord is to arpeggiate in your mind. while looping the section your stuck on.

as well as above and the acw there is also other software on the net you can load a song into and it tells you the chords. eg riff something ?

hth//ymmv

om
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Can BIAB analyze chord progressions? - 08/03/22 12:06 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
...as well as above and the acw there is also other software on the net you can load a song into and it tells you the chords. eg riff something ?

ChordAI is getting good reviews at present:
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
...as well as above and the acw there is also other software on the net you can load a song into and it tells you the chords. eg riff something ?

ChordAI is getting good reviews at present:

It looks good, but it seems that there is no WINDWOS version
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Can BIAB analyze chord progressions? - 08/03/22 10:39 PM
It does appears that it is not currently available for Windows. I hope that would change. Perhaps they are considering a Windows version?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Can BIAB analyze chord progressions? - 08/04/22 12:04 AM
I wrote to ChordAI re: possibility of a Windows version.
This is the reply:

Quote:

Thank you for your email. Windows version is indeed our top-1 request from users.
Unfortunately there is no windows version planned for now.
Maybe in the future but without guarantee. We prefer focusing on iOS / MacOS / Android with our current limited resources.
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
I wrote to ChordAI re: possibility of a Windows version.
This is the reply:

Looking forward to future products supporting WINDOWS
There are emulators on Windows, Mac and Linux for both iOS and Android that may offer an option if it's a 'must'.

I've never used any, so can't comment of how well, or even if, they would support ChordAI.
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Can BIAB analyze chord progressions? - 08/05/22 06:06 PM
As I do not know the song, the first thing I would do is google "Chords and Lyrics to Jason Derulo - Slidin'"

That will normally return information about the song in several keys. It also will sometimes return videos on how to play the song. It does not matter if you play an instrument or not. The how to play the song video will give you some idea of the chord progression. An example...https://youtu.be/XTCQIQvISt0

Yes, BIAB can analyze chord progressions. But...

It is unlikely that BIAB will provide much useful chord information for this style of song. There are many things that make this song sound the way it does and the chord progression is not a very important part of the overall production idea.

Leaving out the impact of the visuals, this like many modern songs depends on rhythmic information rather than melody or harmony.

Billy
Posted By: JBran Re: Can BIAB analyze chord progressions? - 08/05/22 07:41 PM

There is an iOS app that is available free from Yamaha . It’s called the Yamaha Chord Tracker. The app is designed to analyze music and download it to the PSR S series keyboards but you can use the chord analysis function with out their keyboard.
It is very accurate.
It can be set to basic or advanced chords.
It shows the fingering for guitar or keyboard .
It’s works with music in the iTunes library or Drop Box

The only draw back is you get rusty when you have to do it by ear.

I hope this helps those of interest.
© PG Music Forums