PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan Does BIAB have any pipes? - 08/07/22 09:11 PM
Uileann Pipes, ... or Northumbrian smallpipes?

My guess is No pipes but I was once wrong so I have to be careful going forward. grin

Dan
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Does BIAB have any pipes? - 08/08/22 12:37 AM
I could only find a MIDI Style from 2003 'SOLDIER' that uses MIDI Bagpipes - a difficult instrument to emulate with MIDI ( crazy )
Posted By: VintageGibson Re: Does BIAB have any pipes? - 08/08/22 05:30 AM
There was a thread on bagpipes that I contributed to a few years ago, a search may resurrect it.
I created the pipes in MIDI using the Bassoon from Coyote Forte Dxi.
You need continuous drone notes using 1st & 5th of your scale and if I recall correctly another 5th one octave up. On the melody, add "trills" or grace notes to taste.
This worked in a mix for a live show, but might need more work for a solo.

Vintage
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Does BIAB have any pipes? - 08/08/22 06:43 AM
Originally Posted By: VintageGibson
There was a thread on bagpipes that I contributed to a few years ago, a search may resurrect it.

This is the original post on the subject
Actually, I believe that certain pipe sounds, esp. Uillean Pipes could work really well in Irish jig music, if they could be produced as a RealTrack for backing purposes.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Does BIAB have any pipes? - 08/08/22 06:50 AM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Uileann Pipes, ... or Northumbrian smallpipes?

My guess is No pipes but I was once wrong so I have to be careful going forward. grin

Dan

Time to go over to the Styles and RealTracks wishlist?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Does BIAB have any pipes? - 08/08/22 09:19 AM
Thanks for the confirmation. The question was from my "other forum" and was answered by "another" BIAB veteran.

Dan
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Does BIAB have any pipes? - 08/08/22 09:32 AM
THere was a song I did a long time ago that had pan pipes in it. I don't recall the title and it wasn't readily apparent in my list so..... I can't post it to let you hear it. If however, I do manage to find it, I will post it.

I do recall trying to use that same pipe in another song rather unsuccessfully. And yes, I'm absolutely sure it was created in BB.

EDIT:

Here it is: Season's End

The piano is played by Janet W, with whom I was collaborating on a number of instrumental songs at the time.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Does BIAB have any pipes? - 08/08/22 10:06 AM
Thanks for the confirmation. The question was from my "other forum" and was answered by "another" BIAB veteran.

And the answer was? (Or is that going to remain a well kept secret? cry )
Posted By: DrDan Re: Does BIAB have any pipes? - 08/08/22 10:13 AM
The answer given was, "Sadly No". But the real mystery will remain. Who is the PGMusic Veteran who has a very unique distinction from every other veteran in our forum? And, what is that Distinction? That I will take with me to my grave. grin
Posted By: MarioD Re: Does BIAB have any pipes? - 08/08/22 10:17 AM
There is an Uillean Pipes VSTi :

https://xtant-audio.com/product/dicky-deegans-uilleann-pipes/

To my ears it sounds realistic but I am not familiar with this instrument. Bottom line is that if you have a MIDI controller you can get Uillean Pipes into a song.

I know this does not answer the RT request but it may be a work-around for some.
Posted By: VintageGibson Re: Does BIAB have any pipes? - 08/08/22 09:16 PM
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Originally Posted By: VintageGibson

This is the original post on the subject
Actually, I believe that certain pipe sounds, esp. Uillean Pipes could work really well in Irish jig music, if they could be produced as a RealTrack for backing purposes.

Yes, and Irish reels. For me they would be more useful as atmospheric background instruments in slow to mid tempo songs.

Vintage
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Does BIAB have any pipes? - 08/08/22 10:44 PM
The answer given was, "Sadly No". But the real mystery will remain. Who is the PGMusic Veteran who has a very unique distinction from every other veteran in our forum? And, what is that Distinction? That I will take with me to my grave. grin

Nope. The REAL mystery is what is your "other" forum? smile
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Does BIAB have any pipes? - 08/09/22 05:53 AM
Off topic really, but if you don't know Afro Celt Sound System, their mix of African and Celtic sounds and rhythms are interesting. Many songs feature Uillean pipes.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYlFJ8nQemU1IQiITZzjbbA
© PG Music Forums