PG Music Home
Posted By: konaboy All I Want To Do Is Delete A Track - 01/27/23 09:33 PM
Hi all,

In all my years of using BIAB I have never succeeding in simply clearing/deleting a track.

I want to just clear any data, and realtracks from the track, so that it is a completely empty slot, like any other empty track.

Then I can start adding RealTracks that I want, starting with an clean slate.

Strangely, Track Actions -> Erase Track does not seem to do anything useful.

Select RealTracks -> Choose No RealTracks also annoyingly does not do anything.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: All I Want To Do Is Delete A Track - 01/27/23 09:49 PM
Right click the instrument name in the mixer or across the top of the main window, see near the bottom of of the sub menu Track Actions>Erase Track.

Bob
Posted By: konaboy Re: All I Want To Do Is Delete A Track - 01/27/23 09:56 PM
Thanks Bob, as I mentioned, when I load a style and then do that operation on a real track, it asks me to confirm my choice, then absolutely nothing happens.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: All I Want To Do Is Delete A Track - 01/27/23 10:36 PM
Originally Posted By: konaboy
Thanks Bob, as I mentioned, when I load a style and then do that operation on a real track, it asks me to confirm my choice, then absolutely nothing happens.

I suspect it erases the content of the selected track, but does not 'remove' the track. Try selecting erase, then freeze the track, then generate and see if the track is empty.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: All I Want To Do Is Delete A Track - 01/27/23 10:38 PM
Erase Track works I just tested it but, you can only hit Play after erasing a track. Biab is Style based and it's designed to create style tracks. If you chose a style that includes say, Guitar 2 and you don't want Guitar 2 and you erase it but then hit Generate it will generate a new Guitar 2 part fooling you into thinking it didn't erase it.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: All I Want To Do Is Delete A Track - 01/27/23 10:38 PM
Further tip: When freezing the 'erased' track, respond no if asked to generate it first.
Posted By: konaboy Re: All I Want To Do Is Delete A Track - 01/27/23 11:09 PM
hmmm. the erase track action is just plain weird, just search the forum and you'll find dozens of puzzled users. it doesn't work as one would expect.

i guess I'll just have to make do with muting the tracks I don't need but it's a lot of clutter in the mixer.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: All I Want To Do Is Delete A Track - 01/27/23 11:50 PM
Originally Posted By: konaboy
hmmm. the erase track action is just plain weird, just search the forum and you'll find dozens of puzzled users. it doesn't work as one would expect.

i guess I'll just have to make do with muting the tracks I don't need but it's a lot of clutter in the mixer.

You can hide the tracks that you don't want to view:

Attached picture HidingMixerTracks.jpg
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: All I Want To Do Is Delete A Track - 01/27/23 11:55 PM
Welcome to the world of digital audio especially Biab! It's full of things like this but then so are all of the DAW's out there and remember nothing does what Biab can do that's why we're all here. Just takes some time to get used to it is all. One thing I'll sometimes do is not pick a style at all, just start with a new project with just bass and drums to try out a feel then you can pick and choose any RT's or midi style tracks you want then you're not trapp, er constrained by what the Style wants to do.

Bob
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: All I Want To Do Is Delete A Track - 01/28/23 12:52 AM
PG Music makes blank styles that ensures you succeed in clearing/deleting a track. If you load a RealTrack and want to erase it, open Track Settings\erase track and it will prompt to erase the RealTrack followed by erase midi data and the track will be gone. Generate the style and nothing will generate on the erased track.

Description: PG Music 'Blank' Styles
Attached picture blank.gif
Posted By: konaboy Re: All I Want To Do Is Delete A Track - 01/28/23 06:14 AM
thanks all for the helpful advice!

I'm wondering if the failure of the Erase action is because I've loaded a preset Realtrack style. Maybe you're not allowed to delete a track. Although replacing the track with another Realtrack works just fine. I just can't clear it.

Yes, I'll look into creating my own empty style, based on the blank templates. That's probably how I want to work, since my goal is to use minimal one or two track styles.
Posted By: Cerio Re: All I Want To Do Is Delete A Track - 11/11/23 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by konaboy

It is not weird, it just doesn't work as 99,9% of users would expect.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: All I Want To Do Is Delete A Track - 11/12/23 03:41 PM
"hmmm. the erase track action is just plain weird"
I agree. It should be standard 3 click operation. Right click, Erase, Confirm = track gone.
P.S. "Erase" should include both choices in single menu RT/MIDI, both checked by default.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: All I Want To Do Is Delete A Track - 11/12/23 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Cerio
It is not weird, it just doesn't work as 99,9% of users would expect.
crazy grin grin
© PG Music Forums