PG Music Home
Posted By: Jon Thomas different substyles for different tracks? - 01/28/23 05:35 AM
Hi all,
I was wondering ... is it possible to have one (or more) track playing a different substyle from the others? Let me explain with one example. I have the general structure of a song in terms of substyles used (A-A-B-B-A-A-B-B etc), and these substyles work ok for all the tracks, but there's one track (in my case a drum track, but it could be anything) that I wish would play all "A" substyles, even in the "B" parts. Is there a way to do this? If not, this could be part of the "wishlist" for future versions. It seems a very useful feature and probably a pretty simple one to implement, maybe in the F5 (bar settings) window.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Jon
I think if you freeze all the tracks except the one you don't like then change the part markers, regenerate and the track you don't like will change. The tracks that are frozen will stay as they were. Then freeze the regenerated track and save the file. By now all your tracks will be frozen and won't regenerate but should be the styles and substyles you want.

A more knowledgeable BIAB user might have a different/better idea.
Thank you Bob, that's a pretty good workaround, I tried it and it works for me. Thanks!
More generally, it's not 100% ideal, because it will prevent the user from regenerating the frozen track, but it's certainly useful, and it also requires changing the A-B structure of the song at least twice, but .. better than nothing.
I imagine (hope) that in future BIAB versions, in the F5 menu there will be something like a "switch to A" and "switch to B" option for each bar / track, just like for the volume automation options (mute etc).
Certainly Bob's method is the one I would have chosen. Yes, it's a workaround (sort-of), but I don't know of another way except for perhaps using the Audio editor. I think freezing is the preferred method.
© PG Music Forums