PG Music Home
Announcing... Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest - 4 prizes of $150

We recently introduced Xtra Styles PAK 5 for Band-in-a-Box® - these are new fully mixed styles in four categories: Jazz, Country, Rock/Pop, and MIDI. Now you could win a prize for submitting a song that you made using Xtra Styles PAK 5! We have one prize for each category. The winners will receive a $150 USD coupon for a future Band-in-a-Box® purchase.

Participating can be as easy as typing in chords to a song, choosing an Xtra style, pressing play, then saving as an audio file and uploading to SoundCloud.

Please read the contest rules below. The contest is open for submission until midnight September 30, 2018.

Contest Rules

• You must own Band-in-a-Box® 2018 along with one or more of the Xtra Styles PAK 5 packages (Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, MIDI)
  • The song you submit must be your own original composition. This could be simply typing in chords to your song and pressing play, but you may also add additional instruments, solo, and/or melody.
  • Public domain songs will also be accepted.
  • Multiple entries are permitted.
  • Submit your song to the "Xtra Styles 5 Contest" forum, before the deadline.

To submit a song:

1. Make a song using an Xtra Style. Your song can be entirely Band-in-a-Box® tracks, or you can add anything you want to it (vocals, additional instruments, etc.)

2. Save the song as an audio file and upload to SoundCloud (or somewhere else, as long as it can be downloaded/played from a url).

3. Post a new message in this forum, making sure to include: (1) a link to your song, (2) the name of the style you used (e.g. GUMBOPOP), and (3) the category (e.g. MIDI). Songs posted that do not list these 3 criteria will not be considered for this contest.

Please start a new thread for your song, rather than replying to an existing thread. It is a good idea to include the title of your song in your post title. Note: If you're not sure of the category, check out the list found here.

We will review the songs based on a combination of criteria, including:
  • creativity / originality.
  • good compositions / songwriting.
  • good use of Band-in-a-Box® or RealBand.
  • haven't won other recent contests (not a requirement).
  • other contributions on the PG Music forum (not a requirement).
  • overall quality.

Good luck to everyone who enters – we are really looking forward to hearing your submissions!
Hey Andrew,

Question, for purposes of qualifying entries, may contestants use whatever plugins, VSTIs (for the MIDI tracks), and any audio effects we please?

Thanks!
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09

Question, for purposes of qualifying entries, may contestants use whatever plugins, VSTIs (for the MIDI tracks), and any audio effects we please?

Thanks!

Yes, yes, yes you can! Be as creative as you want... just make sure you that when you follow the 3-steps to post your entry, you:
(1) a link to your song
(2) state the name of the style you used (e.g. GUMBOPOP)
(3) list the category (e.g. MIDI).

....and if you use any plugins, etc., list those too! (unless it's your 'secret weapon')
Is this right here the forum thread where we will be a-postin' our hit songs to?

This one right here???

Are we ta post a new thread in this one right here??

If so, I must warn you in advance:

God let me borrow Gregg and Duane for a few sessions on Xtra Styles 5 and that's about all I am gonna say on it at the moment.

How do you know if you have them? 2018 Styles,Bonus category filter?
Originally Posted By: Tommyc
How do you know if you have them?
Easy. The Xtra Paks do not come with ANY other purchases, bonuses or Paks.

So - If you didn't specifically buy them, you don't have them.
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Is this right here the forum thread where we will be a-postin' our hit songs to?

This one right here???

Are we ta post a new thread in this one right here??

Yes, just create a new post in this forum smile
Alright! I got my Xtra Styls PAK 5. Let's get creative.
Follow up question: with regards to the requirement that "[t]he song you submit must be your own original composition," can we enter a song with lyrics from one of the "your take on the same song" threads (with an entirely original chord progression and arrangement, of course)?
This has been raised a number of times before.

If lyrics were made freely available for people to use, like I did recently, and you used them to create something, that's fine. Also, public domain songs are free for use, too.
Thanks Noel, it just so happens that I was thinking of making a dub version of Deciduous Love :-)

On that note, I remember way back when you posted a bunch of additional/alternative lyrics which I can't seem to find, and I'm wondering if you'd be so kind as to link me to that particular post (if it's not too much trouble).

P.S. I'm also very eager to do a Hebrew language version of the great Joann Cooper's Paradox of You. I'm having trouble getting to a satisfactory translation, but I haven't given up on it yet! I've also had an insanely busy year with work, and things are just now starting to ease up, so I'm gearing myself up to actually recording and submitting a track or two... :-)
Here you go... I think that this the thread you were meaning.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=476589#Post476589

I'd really love to hear what you do with the lyrics. Please feel totally free to change anything you want to fit your composition better.

Regards,
Noel
[quote=Andrew - The contest is open for submission until midnight September 30, 2018.

Contest Rules

[/quote]
midnight September 30, 2018. what time zone eastern pacific etc
Originally Posted By: pghboemike
what time zone eastern pacific etc

Pacific
Posted By: Will Josef Friday Night At The Monastery - 09/19/18 11:19 PM
Here is my first contribution to the contest (in the pop category):

https://soundcloud.com/user-656274325/friday-night-at-the-monastery

I am using the style: _REVNANT.STY

Realtracks:
1826 Bass
1837 Piano
Realdrums: CloudRap
and
2019 (Sax - Mark Douthit)

And also 3 vocal tracks/loops

Will
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: Friday Night At The Monastery - 09/20/18 02:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Here is my first contribution to the contest (in the pop category):

https://soundcloud.com/user-656274325/friday-night-at-the-monastery

I am using the style: _REVNANT.STY

Realtracks:
1826 Bass
1837 Piano
Realdrums: CloudRap
and
2019 (Sax - Mark Douthit)

And also 3 vocal tracks/loops

Will

Thanks Will! Please re-post this as it's own 'subject' within this forum.

Good luck!
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Friday Night At The Monastery - 09/20/18 08:24 PM
So sorry for posting the wrong place, Callie. I'm still trying to get used to everything around here.
Will
© PG Music Forums