PG Music Home
Posted By: Al Lewis Running Finale at the same time as BIAB - 08/23/19 01:11 PM
Hi,

When I run Finale and BIAB at the same time, the music output stutters and other odd problems. Is there any trick to running both software at the same time (in the Midi/Audio setups etc?

Thanks

Alastair
Hello Alastair,

Welcome to the forum and to Band-in-a-Box!

I suspect the two programs are attempting to share resources, audio or memory. Two steps you can take are split the audio driver that is used by each program and change the audio latency setting.

Band-in-a-Box can use one of three available audio drivers: WAS, ASIO or MME. WAS and MME are part of the Windows operating system while ASIO typically is audio device specific and supplied by the audio device manufacturer.

In Band-in-a-Box press Ctrl + E to open the "Preferences" window then click on the "Audio" button to open audio preferences. Make sure Band-in-a-Box and Finale are using different audio drivers.

Audio latency is the time, in milliseconds, it takes for the computer to process audio. The length of time it takes from the time the computer receives audio to the time you hear it.

Raising the audio latency number gives the computer more time to process the audio. What number works best generally is system specific so what works for me likely won't work for you. I would adjust the number higher than it presently is. As long as you're listening the number doesn't matter. The only time it matters is when you're recording audio while also listening to playback of the other tracks.

Description: Band-in-a-Box Audio Settings. Audio driver in green box. Audio latency in red box.
Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: Al Lewis Re: Running Finale at the same time as BIAB - 08/24/19 11:21 AM
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your detailed instructions - the audio driver for recording seems to have been the problem.

All the best,

Alastair
Al,

That's great news. I'm glad my suggestion was helpful.

If I may I'd like to make an additional suggestion. While everything is working okay open the "Options" menu and select "Save Preference File ...". This opens a dialog that saves all your preferences. Then after an update, or if the program acts up, it will be easy to refresh the preference settings.
© PG Music Forums