PG Music Home
Hi all,

While I play my midi keyboard, or if I record midi thru my midi keyboard - I can only hear 4 notes max. Once I play the 5th note - one of the other notes stopes playing.

This is really annoying...

How do I fix this??

I'm using BIAB 2016 on windows.

Thanks

Ariel
Welcome to the forum.

That is called polyphony.

I don’t think it’s a BIAB setting.

Please tell us what brand and model MIDI keyboard you have.

Please also tell us how the keyboard is connected. MIDI or USB? What interface do you have?
Thanks for the reply!

I'm using M-Audio evolution MK-461C 61-Key USB MIDI Controller.
Connects via USB... wink

I've done some more playing around, and if I use:
1. Right-click on the "Thru" channel -> "Select MIDI Patch" -> and then select one of the "favorite Patches": then I can hear all notes I play.

But if I use:
2. Right-click on the "Thru" channel -> "Select Hi-Q MIDI Synth Patch": I can hear no more than 4 notes simultaneously.

I tried switching between "CoyoteWT" and "SampleTank 2.x" and both have the same results.

Is there some kind of setting I can try to change?

Thanks,

Ariel.
That's really good diagnostic work there. I did not know that BIAB had a four-note limit on polyphony when using Hi-Q patches.

This involves several add-on products I do not use, so I can't help further. It also involves BIAB 2016, and I only have BIAB 2021 and am not sure if anything in this area changed.

I suggest you click on the Support button up at the top of this page. Call PG Music Support, or do a Live Chat with them. There is a green Live Help button toward the upper right of your browser.

I have already reported this to the developers.

Tip: this forum is for giving tips about BIAB, not asking questions, so it's less likely others who might know the answer will check here and see it. I suggest next time that you post your questions in the 'regular' main BIAB product forum where it will get more attention.

Originally Posted By: Ariel L.
Hi all,

While I play my midi keyboard, or if I record midi thru my midi keyboard - I can only hear 4 notes max. Once I play the 5th note - one of the other notes stopes playing.
Ariel

I have never noticed this. Granted, I don't use my Keyboard with BIAB much. But if this is true, it is hard to believe it has never been mentioned here before. Will have to find some time to check this out.
Right, Dan, I never noticed it, but I'm not a keyboard player (don't even normally have one connected) and never tried it. I have reported this to the developers but yes, go ahead and see if you can duplicate the problem.

To Ariel, the original poster, you might try one thing: Whenever BIAB does not act the way you know it should, do Options, Return to Factory Settings, Most. I am not saying this will help in this case, because I don't yet know if it was designed to do what you are experiencing. But it can't hurt to try. You will be given an opportunity to Save your Preferences first.

SampleTank has a polyphony setting which defaults to 4.

Attached picture SampleTank GUI global polyphony.jpg
PG Music also said this:

As far as I can tell there is no such limitation in BIAB, past or present. Most likely that limitation is coming from SampleTank. I was able to get 37 notes of polyphony using Sforzando by leaning on all 37 keys on my MIDI controller, and was still able to hear the first note I pressed.

So Blake, can that default of 4 be overridden?
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
PG Music also said this:

As far as I can tell there is no such limitation in BIAB, past or present. Most likely that limitation is coming from SampleTank. I was able to get 37 notes of polyphony using Sforzando by leaning on all 37 keys on my MIDI controller, and was still able to hear the first note I pressed.

So Blake, can that default of 4 be overridden?

As far as I can tell, that default can't be overridden. SampleTank is not our software, so we cannot make any changes to it.
OK, thanks.

Ariel, it looks like you have your answer.
Well...

Turns out that if I don't run BIAB as admin, I get this 4 note polyphony limitation.
BUT if I start BIAB as admin - the polyphony limitation changes to 64!!

Thank you all!

Without your feedback, I wouldn't know where and what to look for!
Again, terrific work diagnosing the problem.
Originally Posted By: Ariel L.
Well...

Turns out that if I don't run BIAB as admin, I get this 4 note polyphony limitation.
BUT if I start BIAB as admin - the polyphony limitation changes to 64!!

Thank you all!

Without your feedback, I wouldn't know where and what to look for!

Thanks for letting us know! I'll add this to our knowledgebase here. Quite strange that this was the fix though!

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Again, terrific work diagnosing the problem.

Agreed!
© PG Music Forums