Posted By: dmc ENTERING RESTS USING TILDE KEY - 09/04/22 07:08 AM
BIAB 2019 WINDOWS HANDBOOK PAGE 226 DESCRIBES ENTERING RESTS USING BACK QUOTE
TILDE KEY. HAS ANY UK MEMBER USING WINDOWS 7 10 OR 11 MANAGED TO USE THIS
METHOD. I CAN ONLY ENTER RESTS BY CLICKING ON REST BUTTON WHICH CAN LEAD TO
MISTAKES DRAGGING THE CURSOR BACK AND FORWARD TO REST BUTTON WHEN ENTERING
A MELODY
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: ENTERING RESTS USING TILDE KEY - 09/04/22 11:36 AM
Hello dmc and welcome to the forum.

Your post will receive more views, and thus a better chance of receiving a response, if you post your question in the +++ Band-in-a-Box for Windows +++ forum section.

Also, POSTING IN ALL CAPS, is considered SHOUTING in forum speak so you may want to turn off the caps lock.
I went to page 226 of the 2019 manual here and could not find where it mentions the tilde key (~) for rests. On page 225 it does talk about what having a ~ means when it is shown in front of a RealTrack name in the Mixer. https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/misc/manual/bandinabox_win_2019_manual.pdf

You can enter in a rest by typing any chord name and then type a period after it: "C."
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: ENTERING RESTS USING TILDE KEY - 09/06/22 11:41 PM
Using the tilde for rests is something Peter Gannon taught me many years (decades?) ago. If you are in Editable Notation Mode, you use the left-click of a mouse to enter a note. But if you hold down the tilde and left-click BELOW or ABOVE a note, it erases the note.

It's a great time saver. It doesn't 'enter' a rest, but it converts a note to a rest. Is that what you mean?

ps in BIAB for Windows version 2022, this is on page 192:

Entering Rests
Insert a rest by holding the back-quote key (tilde key without pressing Shift) then clicking on the Notation window. Another
way to enter a rest is to click on the Rest checkbox and then point and click where you want the rest to appear. This
automatically shortens the duration of the previous note.

And I think the confusion in this description (insert or enter a rest) might be because you would not enter a rest when there was already a rest.

Having said all this, I will admit that this method using the tilde can stop working under some circumstances. I try not to mix this method with clicking on the Rest checkbox. Likewise, clicking on Mono sometimes helps.

© PG Music Forums