PG Music Home
Posted By: Island Soul Help with External Hards - 10/13/20 11:32 AM
I have a mid 2014 MacBook Pro that has starting causing all my external hards to become unable to repair including my 2020 BIAB audiophile edition that just happen a few minutes ago. This really scares me because I don't want to loose any of my files I've backed up and I don't want to have to buy a brand new Mac because of this. Any apple regard professionals know why this is happening and how to fix it?
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Help with External Hards - 10/15/20 05:09 PM
Not nearly enough information. I rarely check this board since it doesn't fit the category of a Frequently Asked Question.

Probably best to move it over to the Mac section.

I can tell you that the chance of any hard drive made between mid 2009–2012 still being good is remote to nonexistent. Everybody had major QC issues—I know why but it's too long to explain. I'm an experienced tech and test every HDD I pull. Early 2009 and earlier, often good. 2013 and later, often the same but 2014 is quite old. 2009-2012, out of hundreds, I haven't pulled one that passed all levels of SMART.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Help with External Hards - 10/16/20 06:14 PM
If you're running your hard drive through a USB hub, try plugging it directly into the computer. USB hubs are notorious for causing hard drive problems.
© PG Music Forums