PG Music Home
Posted By: DebMurphy Very beginner question about MIDI - 04/10/20 07:25 AM
Is there a very beginner's video explaining how to use MIDI with BIAB? I have been ignoring MIDI completely but now have become curious.

Just general is fine - I am not ready to create my own backups yet.

Thanks!

...Deb
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Very beginner question about MIDI - 04/10/20 02:41 PM
+++ PART ONE +++ here you go. Very good explanation. +++ PART TWO +++ +++ PART THREE +++

You can watch all the videos in about 20 minutes. Great overview.
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Very beginner question about MIDI - 04/10/20 02:43 PM
Thank you! I was playing with it this morning so I have a better understanding.

These two videos will help a lot!

...Deb
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Very beginner question about MIDI - 04/10/20 02:57 PM
Deb, I edited my post to add part 3.
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Very beginner question about MIDI - 04/10/20 07:23 PM
I spotted part 3 when I was looking at the 1st 2. Watched it also.

I do have a better understanding now when folks are talking about MIDI in the forum. I even messed around with it a bit. I can also see where if you buy some of the 3rd party items it makes BIAB almost endless.

Thanks again!

...Deb
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Very beginner question about MIDI - 04/10/20 10:47 PM
I thought using a television remote control to demonstrate that midi is commands was very smart.
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Very beginner question about MIDI - 04/11/20 06:56 AM
I thought so also. At that point I had an ah-ha moment.

I downloaded a demo version of PreSonus Studio One this morning. (I am a long time user of their hardware so it is a natural fit.)

Next step is try some simple stuff and see how this works out.

Thanks bunches!

...Deb
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Very beginner question about MIDI - 04/11/20 02:57 PM
I don't know if what I'm about to tell you is true with the demo version of PreSonus One but the free version will not accept or use VSTs. There is a $99 addition that adds VST functionality.
Posted By: TheMaartian Re: Very beginner question about MIDI - 04/11/20 03:12 PM
FYI:

The free version (Studio One Prime) will NOT accept the VST add-on. You'd need Studio One Artist for that (currently on sale, as is Studio One Pro).

At this time, Studio One Artist + VST add-on is about $170. Studio One Pro is on sale for $280.

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One/compare-versions

Note that the latest BiaB 2020 build fixes an issue with the BiaB VST in Studio One.
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Very beginner question about MIDI - 04/11/20 05:17 PM
Thanks, I am not there yet for the MIDI with Pro. Today, I was creating a generic song in BIAB then taking it into Pro (Demo version) and editing from there. No MIDI.

I just now went into Pro and found the VST3 for BIAB as well as several synths - I clicked on several and they opened right up. Not sure about the next step so it could be I can not get further than that.

I do like what I see so I am probably going to buy.

Thanks all!

...Deb

BTW, I am happy that I can see how this is "supposed" to work once I get the licensed version.
© PG Music Forums