PG Music Home
Posted By: fiddler2007 VST plugin DAW export levels too low ... - 01/16/19 11:02 AM
I posted this before, but someone edited it out at PG ..?

For me the exported audio levels from the VST are about 12dB too low; RTs are 16bit, not 24bit, so IMO it's virtual that levels for 16bit audio are optimal; usually -3dB below peak. The RTs themselves are well recorded as for levels.

Now what you see clearly with the exported audio in PG's own VST demos, that these export levels are far too low. See picture. I hope that a normalize or manual leveling function is added soon to the VST to make exporting from the VST into a DAW really useful. I will have to use BIAB itself still for transfers, as it has these important features. Please correct me if i am wrong LoL.

Attached picture BIAB plugin drag levels.jpg
Hi Fiddler

Mmmm that seems to match up with difference between domestic line level and studio pro line level.
It a bane to me with Yamaha CVPs and Arrangers they also export wav at -12db on 16bit waves.
Many mixers have a line input switch for this.
Mike
Kind of, but that's not the case here. 3dB up is about twice as loud physically, and more away from the noise floor. Young ones with a healthy hearing have a headroom of over 120 dB sometimes, between silence and top level. So every dB counts IMO with only 16bit digital audio, less a problem with 24bit.

In the old schooldays of audio schooling, when digital audio (16bit) was coming around, the 'official' audio for TV mastering (DAT recorder masters, Sony PCM then) were taught as -12dB to be standard max level. Dropped soon, everybody was pushing the limits, especially the commercial for radio and TV guys; you gotta get as loud as you can ....

Still now, only i like to master at - 3dB, so you can do some post production sweetening. Looking at the graphics on Soundcloud you can see a who's who. Some productions are completely flattened out at top level, probably only a mere -0.5 dB headroom. Usually these 'music' files are quite unbearable to listen too.

Unless one likes pink noise kind of stuff with a four to the floor 120- 130 Bpm boom boom bass drum added.
© PG Music Forums