PG Music Home
I've been getting back to playing with the DAW vst lately and have run across a rather serious problem which started with build 612 and later builds. If I use a style with one or more midi tracks, the midi tracks will not generate either one at a time or as part of the master track. The generation goes to about 90% completion and then locks up the vst. Sometimes a rather large file(multi-gigabyte) is created if I wait long enough. Task manager is needed to shut down. This occurs both stand-alone and vst's added in the DAW. Examining the SavedTracks directory show a BBInstrumentName.TRK files for each midi track, a BBInput.txt file and a VBA.BIN file. No .wav, or .midi file. The window task manager shows that a bbw4.exe is the process hanging and must be ended to get out of the lock-up. Midi files generated as expected with a midi and a .wav file with build 611, although there were tempo or sync problems with the tracks when played within the vst DAW. Once dragged into my daw (Reaper) they were in sync.

My system is a follows:
Windows 7, Biab UltraPack 2019. Reaper Daw, Halion Sonic/Halion 6 vst synths,
yamaha/steinberg ur22 interface.

Biab and even RealBand are working fairly well with the above now although there are
a number of relatively minor issues with the on screen interface with need to be addressed. (especially with two monitors.)

With the VST DAW styles containing all Real Tracks generate fine as do Multi Riffs, it's just the problems with midi tracks within styles causing problems.

Any of you experts have any ideas??

A related question is: Build 611 created a .wav file from the midi track. Where did the audio come from? If I drag/drop a midi track within the main BiaB progrem it creates audio from whatever vsti instrument I am using. Same with generating an audio file from a midi track in RealBand.
Quote:
With the VST DAW styles containing all Real Tracks generate fine as do Multi Riffs, it's just the problems with midi tracks within styles causing problems

Until recently my opinion was that midi did not work with the VSTi and was a work in progress. However, I know a guy who knows a guy who tells me a new version of the VSTi is on the drawing board which adds a lot of midi love. For example, there will be an option to eliminate the rendering of midi.
Dan,

It's interesting that in the release notes for build 614 there is this:

"Added: Much faster MIDI renders: "No MIDI Renders" option in Custom Generate menu. If this is selected, any MIDI tracks will be left as MIDI and not rendered to wave which takes time."

I'm interested in seeing if anyone else is experiencing this or if it is somehow unique to my particular setup or workflow. Build 614 is quite fast and overall many problems that I had with earlier releases have been solved. Midi rendering did work, more or less, as I mentioned, in Build 611 but has been broken since then. At least I would like to be able to drag a midi track into Reaper as midi. The main BiaB program can do this.

Dave
I can concur that you are right. I have had the same experience. PGM is working hard to fix this and most of it should be addressed in the next build which will be released soon.

RobH,

Good to hear this. I've had BiaB since at least 2006 version, but I have been concerned that there were so many "obvious" bugs in these releases this year. I look forward to more progress. Thanks.

Dave
Originally Posted By: drkirk
Dan,

It's interesting that in the release notes for build 614 there is this:

"Added: Much faster MIDI renders: "No MIDI Renders" option in Custom Generate menu. If this is selected, any MIDI tracks will be left as MIDI and not rendered to wave which takes time."

I'm interested in seeing if anyone else is experiencing this or if it is somehow unique to my particular setup or workflow. Build 614 is quite fast and overall many problems that I had with earlier releases have been solved. Midi rendering did work, more or less, as I mentioned, in Build 611 but has been broken since then. At least I would like to be able to drag a midi track into Reaper as midi. The main BiaB program can do this.

Dave

Dave, as far as MIDI rendering to wavs individual MIDI tracks do not render BUT the a master track is rendered. Why, I have no idea. So you will still have to delete that master track wav from your system.

I have found that if I drag each individual MIDI track to my DAW, Studio One Pro, it will stay MIDI. BUT if I drag the master track I get the master wav. So if you are using the master track to move all of the MIDI at once, like you can in BiaB, then you will be disappointed.
© PG Music Forums