PG Music Home
Posted By: ThorstenV Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 07/16/21 09:59 AM
Hello -

I've got a huge problem using B.i.a.b. as a plugin in my Studio One:

S***, why can't I add a picture which is on my computer?!? mad

I'm sorry; would have liked to display the screenshot I just took after trying to open a B.i.a.b.-file within the plugin, but obviously that is not possible... cry

So I have to f.... describe it instead. Okay then: there's a little pop-up window saying
Quote:
Run Band-in-a-box (-22)
The Song selected could not be loaded.
Try renaming the song file or saving
it again before opening the song.

Yes, I used the plugin before. Wasn't too enthusiastic then because it was incredibly slow (is that normal??), but wanted to give it another try. I guess I maybe just have to return to the "old ways" (rendering the wanted tracks within B.i.a.b., then importing the rendered tracks in Studio One)... Unless somebody's got an idea what I did wrong...?

Attached picture Screenshot_1.jpg
Posted By: ThorstenV Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 07/16/21 10:01 AM
Oh, I take back everything I said about the picture! It just didn't show in the preview...
Posted By: DrDan Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 07/16/21 10:24 AM
Looks like you have V3.4.6. Update to current version and let us know what happens.

-------------------------
DAW Plugin update 3.7.23.

https://dl11.pgmusic.com/support/patch/bb2021_win_update_build838.exe

Posted By: MarioD Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 07/16/21 11:14 AM
Your song title is Untitled Song and that is generally what the BiaB initial song title is when you first open BiaB and only a C chord is shown: note that it is not a saved song. In the VSTi did you click on file, selected your song, then clicked on generate? That is the method I use and I have no problems using the BiaB VSTi in the current Studio One Pro 5.

If you have done the above a more detailed description of your method might help.
Posted By: ThorstenV Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 07/16/21 01:13 PM
Quote:
In the VSTi did you click on file, selected your song, then clicked on generate?

Yes, yes, no - nothing to generate when the song can't be loaded...

Downloading the Update right now; will install it later this evening and hope it will solve the problem.
Posted By: ThorstenV Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 07/16/21 07:59 PM
Didn't work. Same message pops up. Nothing changed at all. This s*** plugin just doesn't work for me. Complete useless option.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 07/16/21 08:13 PM
Try make a copy of the SGU to a simple name in a simple location C:\Temp
There were issues opening SGU with odd characters in the name.
Also you can copy chords directly from Biab to the Plugin.

Attached picture Biab-Copy-Chords-Plugin.gif
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 07/16/21 08:18 PM
This is very weird.

Does this happen on every song?

Have you tried returning BiaB to factory settings?

Are you using the VST 3 or VST2 version of the plug-in?
Note I am using the VST3 version.

If you can post a song that is giving you problems I can take a look at it here. You can post it on the free version of Dropbox or if you wish I can give you my email address via a PM so you can send it to me directly.
Can you close Studio One then right click on the Studio One shortcut and choose "Run As Administrator"? See if that helps.
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 07/17/21 06:59 AM
I have both BIAB and Studio One - latest versions of both. Two days ago, I created a song I want to work with. Named and saved it.

I decided to try bringing my song into Studio One after reading this thread. The song went in great - no problem.

I'd be happy to try your song if you'd like.

...Deb

Description: My song
Attached picture SteamyDay.JPG
Posted By: donojazz Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 07/17/21 11:23 PM
I have been having the same problem. I tried to load some saved mgu songs when in VST mixer. These songs will open in BIAB and are stored on drive. However, they will not load into the VST when activated in Studio One I am running BIAB 2021 and Studio One 4 off of a portable hard drive. I'm planning to upgrade studio one to ver 5 shortly then I will move everything to my C: drive.

I'll keep playing with it to see if anything changes. I need to double check vst version

jim
Posted By: donojazz Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 07/18/21 03:19 PM
Not sure what changed, but it is working now. I can load songs and change styles. And, I am running it off the portable drive.
Posted By: ThorstenV Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 07/20/21 08:54 AM
Thanks a lot to all contributors! Great place, this forum; never disappoints. So thanks again!

Originally Posted By: Pipeline
There were issues opening SGU with odd characters in the name.
Also you can copy chords directly from Biab to the Plugin.

This might actually be the solution! Because there is in the title of that song of mine a German "Umlaut"; you know, these little dots above letters like "u" and "o" what only a few languages have and what American Heavy Metal bands love. ^^ So, if this Umlaut counts as "odd character", I've got my solution...

Did not yet check it out though, since I, as previously announced, used the "old ways" (exporting the tracks etc.) which went suprisingly quick (way quicker than in earlier versions!) and I was working a lot on that stuff the last couple of days (which is also why I'm answering only now). So I will keep that in mind and try it again with a song without "odd characters" soon! wink
Thanks Thorsten, I've tested a few songs that have an umlaut in the title and they open as expected for me so I don't believe that is the issue. You can try removing the umlaut from the file name and see if it fixes the issue, or you can email me a copy of your song (aguy@pgmusic.com) and I can take a closer look.
Hi Thorsten, I had originally tested on Mac which was working as expected but now that I've tested on Windows, I can see that the umlaut character is preventing the song from opening. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I'll make sure this gets fixed.
Posted By: ThorstenV Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 07/22/21 07:24 AM
Thanks for your kind reply!

Funny that umlaut works on Mac but not on Windows...

I will keep that in mind until you guys will have fixed the problem! ^^
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 08/03/21 07:03 PM
I also had some issue with the BIAB VST in last Studio 5.XX download but reloaded things and everything works now. I normally name things by what ever the song name is going to be which helps to prevent problems that some software programs don't like. No accent marks even if I name it in French.

I don't use the VST much because it is to small for me to see well and I don't know how to resize it or even if that can be done.

It is normal for windows to reject certain things like a dash line for example but allow and underscore. Go figure...win 10 is it's own confusing world.

Cheers,

Billy
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 08/03/21 09:49 PM
Billy, there is a place in the lower, right corner to resize the plugin.

Move your mouse cursor over the three, diagonal lines and the cursor arrow will change to a diagonal double arrow.

Left click and drag to resize.

You can drag diagonally to proportionally resize the window.

You can drag left or right to change the window width.

You can drag up or down to change the window height.

Description: Standalone Plugin Resize area highlighted
Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg

Description: Corner enlarged to show detail.
Attached picture Clipboard02.jpg
Originally Posted By: Planobilly
It is normal for windows to reject certain things like a dash line for example but allow and underscore. Go figure...win 10 is it's own confusing world.

If you mean the vertical bar symbol " | " this is because the command prompt uses it to "pipe" information - basically, you can route the output from one executable to another using | which many programs might do even if not running via the command prompt.

Same thing with characters like > which redirects output from an executable to a file, and we all know others like * : \ / ? ".
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 09/24/21 11:00 AM
DSM:

After reading your screenshot, I feel that the waveform sound is very small.
Did you not check normalize renders ?
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 09/24/21 12:12 PM
Originally Posted By: swingbabymix
DSM:

Normalize? No. I tend to use a limiter instead.

...Deb
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 09/24/21 01:01 PM
DSM:

You use a limiter to make the sound louder.

Which limiter?
DSM:

Deb's waveforms look good to me. In the digital age with 24-bit and higher audio, it's better to have the waveforms a little lower than to have them clip, since there's no fixing that!
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 09/24/21 10:29 PM
Simon - PG Music

But it sounds much quieter than demo demo
What plug-in does each track use to make the sound better?
Give me some advice, thank you
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 09/25/21 07:36 AM
Thanks Simon, I tend to keep them lower after working sound in my church. We have room issues, lots of room issues, and if I need to fix a video we shot it is a lot easier to add a bit of gain than try to fix clipping.

Off topic but we just had a sound study done. I learned a lot about sound and architecture which is a lot different then trying to get people to just hear. The room has a vaulted ceiling (only about an inch) that is causing the issue. The shortened version is that the ceiling is bouncing the sound all over the place in there.

As for the limiter, SwingBabyMix: I use the limiter that is part of the effects in Studio One. Just drop it on the stem then use their -3 db limiting default and a bit of gain.

Finish off in Studio One Project to make sure everything is about right for me. Lots of videos out there on how to use Project.

I never got a handle on normalization. I should sit down and learn it.

This workflow works for me.

...Deb
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 09/25/21 10:49 AM
DSM:

This is it?
Hang each track. I will try

Attached picture 2021-09-25_214636.jpg
Attached picture 2021-09-25_214649.jpg
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 09/25/21 01:57 PM
Yes,that is it. Try some of the other defaults also. You may find something you like.

...Deb
Simon - PG Music

I don't know what exact plugins were used, but the demos were likely run through an EQ and a Limiter.
Posted By: swingbabymix Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 10/05/21 11:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
Simon - PG Music

I don't know what exact plugins were used, but the demos were likely run through an EQ and a Limiter.

When will the latest version of BB VST be released? grin
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Bi.a.B. as plugin in Studio One 5.3 - 10/06/21 04:12 AM
..When will the latest version of BB VST be released? grin

I think Adar is very busy on the ver 4 and maybe other great things ?
so I don't want to push for some bug fixes, but you never know.
When will the latest version of BB VST be released? grin

We don't have any release date for the next update to the VST plugin - however, keep an eye out for the main BIAB updates even if that update doesn't have a new plugin. The plugin relies on the Band-in-a-Box app, so improvements to the main app can sometimes mean improvements to the plugin itself even without a new plugin version.
© PG Music Forums