PG Music Home
Posted By: Andyf1204 Existing songs won't open in DAW/Logic Pro - 08/04/20 03:53 AM
Hi all, first post so feel free to let me know if I've done something wrong here posting wise.

I've searched the forums and as far as I can see can't find an answer to this issue. When I try to open an existing song using the DAW plugin, created in Windows with BiaB 2018, now using iMac with Logic Pro, I get an error message.

Run Band -in-a-Box (-22)

The song selected could not be loaded.
Try renaming the song file or saving it
again before opening the song.

The songs will open in BiaB full version but not via the plugin, I don't know whether it's a cross grade incompatibility issue or some preference I haven't ticked. I can't try it on my Windows laptop as being 2018 it doesn't have the DAW there.

Thanks in advance,

Andy
The Windows plugin can only has to run on the same computer where the main Band-in-a-Box program resides. That's because the plugin silently runs the main Band-in-a-Box program as a silent, background task.

My guess is the Mac plugin also requires the main Band-in-a-Box program.
Thanks Jim,
I do have BiaB installed on the Mac, latest version, that's why I was wondering if there might be a compatibility issue between the original songs done on 2018 on Windows and trying to open them in the DAW in Apple 2020, although, as I think I said, the songs will open in the main version. That's what got me flummoxed, you'd think the two versions (on Mac) would work in tandem.

I've emailed chat but the time difference between Australia and the States means playing email tennis between the time zones.

Andy
If they open in the main BBMac can you try and save them to an appended name.SGU then open in the Mac Plugin.
Thank you for the feedback Andy. Have you tried renaming, or moving the song to another location before opening? Can you upload the song you are trying to open? It would be great if I could take a look myself to determine what what the issue is. You can also email it to me at aguy@pgmusic.com.
To quote a pro sound engineer I once worked with, "sometimes it's a single button that makes the difference between genius and idiot."

I wouldn't say it was a single button in this case, more a single digit. I moved to my MacBook Pro to see how I went there and had no issues at all, so I started looking at the differences between laptop and desktop, long story short, that final digit in the update/operating system. Updated the iMac and away we went, all systems go. It pays to check ALL updates across all aspects of a given task, Logic Pro, Band in a Box, audio interfaces, oh and of course the actual operating system on your computer.

I shall slink off with my tail between my legs whilst thanking those who offered advice as to how I might fix the problem.

Cheers, stay safe and stay well.

Andy
That's the issue with Mac every update or upgrade something don't work anymore.
I had a Mac once and every app still worked on it upgrade after upgrade, 32 and 64 bit apps, even PPC apps, but I woke up and it was all just a dream frown
Just one more thing I've discovered which may help others, or maybe I should have been aware of this?

I couldn't open any songs from an external HD, originally used on Windows but I downloaded software to be able to use it on my Mac (Tuxera disc manager) they will open from a USB stick, at least the couple of songs I've tried to open, and will open if they are moved to the laptop or computer. It really is a process of elimination by the looks of things.

I have a Mac external HD that I will drop all BiaB songs onto and see if that works or not.

Hopefully this may save others some time and frustration or maybe it's just compatibility issues between operating systems and no-one else swaps from one to the other as I do, either way, for what it's worth I seem to be making headway and slowly solving the original problem.

Andy
© PG Music Forums