PG Music Home
Bought BIAB 2022 yesterday with great excitement. I easily created a 72 measure version of an original song in BIAB. Then I opened Logic Pro 10.7.5. Put BIAB plugin in a instrument track & loaded my song into BIAB. Clicked Generate & the plugin said it was generating the real tracks--which it never actually did. I end up in a time wasting loop clicking the generate button, watching the meter move, seeing a prompt that I can now drag my tracks into DAW but when I try to do that THERE ARE NO GENERATED TRACKS TO DRAG. Very frustrating situation.

I watched the you tube video's on how to do this. I am not a Logic neophyte. Why isn't the plugin generating tracks to drag when it says it is generating them???
I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble using the plugin, but I'll do my best to help you resolve these issues. I would first suggest that before loading your song into the plugin, you rebuild your list of styles and RealTracks in the plugin by opening the StylePicker and pressing the REBUILD button. If rebuilding in the StylePicker does not resolve your issue, you could also send me your song file directly (aguy@pgmusic.com) so that I may take a closer look at what is going on. If you have a screen recording program like OBS and can send me a short recording of your process, that would be very helpful as well. I appreciate your feedback!
I will be happy to send the song file. I don't have video capabilities that you described but I can take pics & do screen caps. I am leaving in a few minutes & will be out for the evening. I will get the rebuilding done this evening when I return & let you know how it went.

Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate it!!!
Song file was emailed. Thanks again!
I'm having trouble getting the DAW plugin to load the audio tracks of a style....it will only load the MIDI files of a style.
I did the rebuild thing yesterday. No change. The plugin does not generate tracks within Logic or Studio One.
Hi Brett, have you tried using the Standalone version of the plugin? It is located in bb/BBPlugin/Files/Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin Standalone.exe. It operates in the exact same way as the other types of the plugin but does not require a DAW which could help isolate the issue you're experiencing. If you could please send me some screenshots of the plugin at various stages of use then it would also be very helpful in helping me determine what the problem could be. If you would like, you could also install a free screen recording program like OBS and send me a short video of your process with the plugin. Thank you!
I'm on a m1 Mac Mini running MacOS 13.0.1 & I see no such folder nor such an app.
Originally Posted By: SerStickman
I'm on a m1 Mac Mini running MacOS 13.0.1 & I see no such folder nor such an app.

For Mac the standalone plugin is under the Band-in-a-Box/BBPlugin/Files folder. If you have installed to your internal computer, then the Band-in-a-Box folder is in the Applications of your computer. If you had installed to an external hard drive, then go to the drive first, then it will have its own Applications folder.
Ok. I found the stand alone version of BIAB. I fired up Studio One. Loaded a song. Clicked on "Generate" & watched the blue bar do it's thing till I got the prompt saying tracks has been generated. I click ok & get the same nonsensical prompt telling me I need to generate the tracks (again) so they can be heard.

Puts me in the same loop to nowhere as following the video directions did.
Same exact issue. Installed BIAB a few days ago on Mac (13.0.1)--also ran the updater today when I ran into this problem.

Daw Plugin 2022 v4.8.7 fails to generate--tried both stand alone and in DAW. Hitting "generate" the track bar goes for a bit then stops with nothing generated. Get the "Generation is complete!" dialogue but no tracks are available.

It does generate files for each of the instruments in the bbplugin/savedtracks/yyyy-mm-dd, hh-mm-ss/ directories--but right now it seems that is just wasted disk space.
The files are useable--guess BIAB just isn't particularly useable for Mac users.

PG Music needs to update all their tutorials and videos to show how to find the generated files and drag and drop them into a daw.
Originally Posted By: jellobiafra01
The files are useable--guess BIAB just isn't particularly useable for Mac users.

PG Music needs to update all their tutorials and videos to show how to find the generated files and drag and drop them into a daw.

So--this was posted in response to some snarky comment by one of the fine "journeyman" users here. Apparently a proud windows 11 user. They've since deleted their extremely usefuless comment.

Anyway--as background I decided to try out BIAB based on comments from a TrueFire forum. Even did it despite the major criticism that Mac users are second class citizens in the BIAB world. As a software developer who has worked on desktop and cloud applications I understand that the oddities and overwhelming number of variations in end-user systems makes regression and feature testing a major drain in the dev cycle.

BIAB's major functionality seems quite impressive--and because of that I'd forgive some of the endemic issues like option dialogues that have features cut off in boxes that can't be resized. BUT having the DAW integration nearly completely borken is pretty much a show stopper. I would've hazard a guess that the issue was permissions related which was why I looked for output files in the first place. But since those are created it seems likely it could be something very different.

Adar -- if you still want screen captures I can send some. And as a side note the DAW app looks for the log file using an incorrect name (or it isn't actually logging). The log file that does exist isn't particularly verbose.
Quote:
Daw Plugin 2022 v4.8.7 fails to generate--tried both stand alone and in DAW. Hitting "generate" the track bar goes for a bit then stops with nothing generated. Get the "Generation is complete!" dialogue but no tracks are available.

It does generate files for each of the instruments in the bbplugin/savedtracks/yyyy-mm-dd, hh-mm-ss/ directories--but right now it seems that is just wasted disk space.

Will the tracks in the SaveTracks folder manually load into the Plugin tracks by click the + > Select File.. ?
Originally Posted By: musocity
[quote]Will the tracks in the SaveTracks folder manually load into the Plugin tracks by click the + > Select File.. ?

The SavedTracks files are .wav or .mid files and yes they can be loaded individually into the DAW plugin. Not sure how helpful that is though. The little green box that would be used for dragging into a DAW does not become usable.

May be slightly related opening full "songs" directly from the "Songs" or "RealTrack - Demos" folder does open those. But again--generation fails unless everything is a midi instrument.

Did also notice under the "Generate" button there is a blinking blue dot in the "Custom..." drop down. Opening the drop down doesn't give any indication of anything needing attention.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Loading them into the Plugin allows previewing in situ with other tracks that may be in the DAW without loading them into the DAW.
I don't know if the main compatibility issues are with the Plugin it's self or the bbw4 app running in the background that it communicates with.
It would be good to see the generate code contained within the Plugin it's self this way you will get the tracks generated much quicker as they will be playing back direct from the source m4a or aiff files with no loading into ram then rendering down to wav.
This will allow the Mac version to be released at the same time as the Win as the Plugin is compiled at the same time cross-platform.
I have exact the same Problem:

Mac mini M1 & Mac Book Pro
both Ventura 13.1

Band In A Box 2022 for Mac
Presonus Studio One 5.5.2

The plugin creates the files and they are working when i move them into Studio One with Finder. But the plugin is unable to handle the files.
There is an updated DAW Plugin (4.8.14) that supports macOS Ventura. The patch is still in pre-release testing, but will be posted on the site soon. You can download it right now from here:
https://dl11.pgmusic.com/support/mpatch/bb2022_mac_update_build609_dawplugin_4.8.14.pkg

This patch is the same as the shipping build 609, it's just the plugin build that is updated.
Thankfully, the new update fixed the plugin issue.

Now we just need this excellent program upgraded to run on Apple silicone without using Rosetta!
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
There is an updated DAW Plugin (4.8.14) that supports macOS Ventura. The patch is still in pre-release testing, but will be posted on the site soon. You can download it right now from here:
https://dl11.pgmusic.com/support/mpatch/bb2022_mac_update_build609_dawplugin_4.8.14.pkg

This patch is the same as the shipping build 609, it's just the plugin build that is updated.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH - HOORAH -

after months of giving myself a hernia over this you guys have finally acknowledged and fixed the issue -

I did create another post about this very issue>

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH - HOORAH -
Originally Posted By: SerStickman
Thankfully, the new update fixed the plugin issue.

Now we just need this excellent program upgraded to run on Apple silicone without using Rosetta!

Careful now.
Comments like this will bring the entire PG Music corp (including PG himself) out to tell us how we don't need such a thing.

Meanwhile I read how AAPL is harnessing the multi-core (CPU and GPU) capabilities of its M chips for much faster processing in audio and video software. Some of what they are doing is quite impressive.

Imagine if one of our favorite software providers would see fit to embark on such a mission.
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music

Is there a patch to fix this same problem in BIAB Mac when not using the plugin?

I run a full instances of biab 2022 #609 and Logic Pro X. I am told I am up to date.

The phenomenon of generating a track, dragging it to a .wav file then finding and empty track is an ongoing problem with separate BIAB and LOGIC instances, Not using the plugin. A noticeable percentage of the time I get an empty .wav file

If only there was a way to know up front whether the generation was successful.
Better yet, if only it was fixed.

Thanks.
Quote:
Is there a patch to fix this same problem in BIAB Mac when not using the plugin?

There isn't an equivalent in the main Band-in-a-Box program, and in my testing both generation and rendering are working on Ventura. Can you provide more details about the problem?
Andrew.

I'm running Logic Pro 10.7.4
Mac OS Big Sur 11.7.2
BIAB MAC Ver 2022 (609)

FYI I also noticed the same phenomenon in BIAB Mac 2021.

I do not run the plug-in for Logic. I run separate Logic and BIAB instances on my MBP.
My normal workflow is to build a BIAB arrangement. using a small set of biab real tracks. Once I am happy i add additional real tracks (never know when you need an accordion) and export these tracks en masse to .wav files using the biab .wav selection.

Sometimes when I load these first set of tracks into my logic project, I find one or more of the tracks is an empty wav file. This behavior is not specific to the utility tracks.

As I work through my mixing/mastering in Logic I may decide to replace or augment a track.
From my open biab arrangement, I select various instruments & generate them on utility tracks. I then select the new track and drag it to the file Export area (under MASTER on the menu bar). BIAB seems to be "going through the motions" of generating the track. Once I get the green light on .wav selection I drag the file to my daw.

I have worked in this manner hundreds of time. Mostly it works just fine. Mostly. At times however I am rewarded with an empty wav file. I can't tell you whether it fails 10% or 30% of the time, I'm guessing closer to 10%, but enough to be annoying.

Let me know if I can provide you any additional information.

Thank you.
© PG Music Forums