PG Music Home
Posted By: Wizop Change Keys - 08/19/08 05:41 PM
The transpose function on the Performance stuff is a little lame. Sure it'll work if what you want to do is compensate for whether you are playing the Jazz Sax stuff with an alto instead of a tenor, but what if you really want to change the key? You've got stuff written in E for the sax which is a key that only guitar players love. E flat horn players really hate it when they have to add three more sharps to a key signature that has too many to deal with already. I digress though. Say your tune is written with 5 sharps and I want to practice it in an easier key, I can use your transpose function to change the sound but the display doesn't change. I'd like to be able to tell it to play in C or F or G and have the program give me the appropriate music.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Change Keys - 09/01/09 01:05 PM
That's easy. There is a key sig in the middle of the screen. You didn't say what instrument you are playing. Just the key is displayed in the box, and it's a pull down box. I play the Bb horn and the G horn, and I know what I'm going to get without thinking about it, I just look at the range and pick a key. Actually most don't bother me, but if I'm going to switch from piano to horn in the middle something like F and G works as long as I don't have to whack off too many high C's. So if you are playing an Eflat horn it's +3 or -9. I'm not looking at the keyboard but if you have the song in E on an Eflat horn pull down the little menu and transpose to Ab. That should give you C on the Eb horn no? I then print out my part transposed, the wife's C part for flute, and another for the keyboard and Bob's yer uncle.
© PG Music Forums