PG Music Home
Posted By: Paul Haynes "Like" button on the Forum? - 12/25/13 12:04 PM
Don't know if this is possible but having a "like" button for each user post would be helpful like they have on facebook.
Posted By: CountryTrash Re: "Like" button on the Forum? - 12/29/13 09:56 AM
While (if) they do it also add a "Do NOT like" or BS button. THAT is also needed in FB... I could use that a lot over there!!!
Posted By: CountryTrash Re: "Like" button on the Forum? - 12/29/13 09:59 AM
Also PLEASE do not let it count as a post... That would really boost the post-count/status of some users who are "getting credit" for posts that does not add value at all! (In MY opinion....)
Posted By: RichMac Re: "Like" button on the Forum? - 04/15/14 06:51 AM
I 'Like' the idea. Sometimes i don't have a comment to make but would still like to be able to express my appreciation of the posting.
Posted By: Trygve Larsen Re: "Like" button on the Forum? - 03/26/16 05:59 AM
+1 !
Posted By: MarioD Re: "Like" button on the Forum? - 01/31/17 11:16 AM
A BIG +1 IF is doesn't count as a post.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: "Like" button on the Forum? - 02/01/17 04:51 PM
I mentioned recently but will again...I was a moderator on a board (all of the forums) for several years. It was a very active board and at some point we introduced a like button. The likes went sky high and the responses to posts plummeted. I think that it discourages discourse and moves conversations into the facebook mode.

Just my ole phart 2 centavos worth.

Bud
Posted By: jford Re: "Like" button on the Forum? - 02/01/17 06:30 PM

See, I liked this post.

smile

Actually, I agree with Janice and Bud. I'd rather have the discourse.
Posted By: rharv Re: "Like" button on the Forum? - 02/06/17 10:56 PM
J&B and jford have been on the interwebs for a long while now.
I value/agree with their opinion here (I'd probably just ignore the like count anyway like I do elsewhere)
However, just 'cause I don't see the value doesn't mean others wouldn't view differently.
It does seem to have a few +1's ..

Is the reason for the 'Post Count' exception (mentioned by a couple people) suggested so the post doesn't appear 'new' just because someone 'liked' it when we next log in?
If so, yeah, that would be confusing.

Curious as to why this seems a potential contention point ..
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: "Like" button on the Forum? - 02/07/17 12:38 PM
I'm ok either way but I tend to give more weight to the opinion of someone who actually ran a board, tried it, and recommends against doing it.

PG Music does not count our posts in testing, but they do register as new. I suppose that means they can set up any combination they want for a Like button.
Posted By: John-Luke Re: "Like" button on the Forum? - 02/09/17 04:55 PM
Originally Posted By: jford

Actually, I agree with Janice and Bud. I'd rather have the discourse.

I'd rather have the discourse, too.
The 'Like' (or Dislike) are too superficial and not used advisedly on Facebook.

The PG forums are mainly there to share information to help somebody. That is a technical/musical matter that require often additional information, investigation, etc...

It's more complicated than saying I Like wine or I Like beer.
Posted By: MikeK Re: "Like" button on the Forum? - 02/25/17 02:27 PM
Yup, keep it as is smile
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: "Like" button on the Forum? - 02/26/17 11:32 PM
I'd prefer the forum not have a thumb up (like) feature.

It wasn't mentioned in the initial post but I do not desire for the forum to have a thumb down (dislike), thumb sideways (neither like or dislike). This is a forum, not a polling station.

Now if the forum had an area set up for polls I could see how the thumbs would be useful.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: "Like" button on the Forum? - 02/27/17 03:49 AM
It's been a very long time, but I think the old forum software here (until summer of 2000) had the ability to create a poll.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: "Like" button on the Forum? - 02/27/17 02:14 PM
The forum software package PG Music currently uses, UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software Version 7.5.7, supports polling on a per-forum basis. I found out by clicking on the software provider link at the bottom of each forum web page.

I wasn't advocating for PG Music to implement polls. I was just pointing out that I understand using "what I think" indicators more under poll conditions than in a forum.

The use of "what I think" indicators in the forum would not make much difference to me if PG Music decides to implement the feature or not.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: "Like" button on the Forum? - 02/27/17 03:58 PM
I think I've figured out a workaround, use the thumb-up or thumb-down posting icons at the top of the full editor reply screen.

Attached picture Posting Icons.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: "Like" button on the Forum? - 02/27/17 06:41 PM
Right. I've had that for several years, a smiley face. It appears on all my posts, right after my username. You'll see I'm the only one in this thread who uses it.

I suppose someone zealous could make the effort to change it for every post...

EDIT: my advice above, about the smiley face, was wrong. Thanks to Jim for telling me. I confused the indicator that someone is online, with the Posting Icon that appears to the left of the subject line.
© PG Music Forums