PG Music Home
Posted By: Bjornp Soundsmith - 05/30/14 11:53 PM
Hi there.
I recently discovered this program “Soudsmith” that was announced from your web site.
Therefore I wonder if it in the future is possible to import the files from Songsmith directly into BB. I have the 2014 version.
PS: I have tried to import midi files from the program, but there is indifference between the accords from Songsmith and what comes up in BB.
I have experienced that original program files do function better.
I live in hope.
Best wishes from
Bjornp
:)
Posted By: jford Re: Soundsmith - 12/31/14 04:29 PM
Hi, Bjorn -

I think SongSmith was more of an experiment by Microsoft into what could be done, and then didn't go very far after that (I have a copy of it). Yes, it uses BIAB styles to generate accompaniment, but to the best of my knowledge, the two file formats are not interchangeable.

I tried it a few times, but the results were less than satisfying.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Soundsmith - 01/03/15 04:10 PM
This is a blast from the past. It was introduced in 2009. I'm surprised to find Microsoft still offers it.

For anyone not familiar, you can read more here: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/songsmith/
Posted By: RnAM Re: Soundsmith - 02/14/15 10:15 PM
Hi Bjornp,

The only thing that is completely compatible between the 2 programs are the styles. Somewhat limited though, all Songsmith styles will work in Biab, not all Biab styles will work in Songsmith.

Question to all forum users:

You may have noticed that the styles in Songsmith sound pretty good compared to regular midi files. The format used here is Sfz's. I've made some attempts to convert these into SF2 (soundfont format). Then could load them into BiaB as a soundfont file. But all my attempts failed.
Does anyone know a proper way to do this?

Rob
Posted By: MarioD Re: Soundsmith - 02/15/15 12:42 AM
Why convert them to SF2s? You might want to look into some free Sfz players like this:

http://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/

You could use this a VSTi plug-in in biaB.
© PG Music Forums