PG Music Home
Posted By: OldDuffer Old floppy programs - help - 05/26/09 01:36 PM
Running Windows XP Pro.

I decided that I would like to install some old programs that were supplied on floppys.

Blue Grass Band
Jazz Pianist
New Age Pianist
New Orleans Pianist
Pianist
Ragtime Pianist

These install and run OK but there is no text displayed in Trivia, Bio etc. Can this be overcome.

Jazz Guitarist works though.
Posted By: toucher Re: Old floppy programs - help - 06/07/09 02:38 PM
I'd like to help you out, but I just don't know.
Posted By: jford Re: Old floppy programs - help - 07/13/09 03:47 PM
I'm not sure how you installed the programs, but given that they are old floppy versions based on the old 8.3 file system, it could just be something as simple as the folder depth is too deep for that old program.

I would try installing the programs (well, start with one and see if it works) into folder close to the root folder and only use 8 or less characters in the folder name (no spaces).

Try re-installing to, for example:

C:\Apps\BGBand <-- Blue Grass Band
C:\Apps\JzPiano <-- Jazz Pianist
C:\Apps\NAPiano <-- New Age Pianist
C:\Apps\NOPiano <-- New Orleans Pianist
C:\Apps\Pianist <-- Pianist
C:\Apps\RPiano <-- Ragtime Pianist

If you installed it to, say, "C:\Program Files\PG Music Pianist Series\New Orleans Pianist", that old program might just not be able to handle that, even when it converts the long names internally to the 8.3 equivalence.

The other thing to try is to run in one of the compatibility modes. Right click on the executable file, select Properties, then select the Compatibility tab and choose an appropriate compatibility mode.

Just a thought. It's probably worth the few minutes it takes to test it out.
© PG Music Forums