PG Music Home
Posted By: Jim Fogle Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 09/02/17 03:35 PM
Band-in-a-Box and RealBand manuals presently are provided electronically as pdf files. While pdf files are generally are okay for display on a computer screen they do not adapt to all resolutions well. Similarly pdf files are terrible when viewed on alternate displays such as a tablet, e-reader or smartphone. EPUB was created specifically to resolve the issue of viewing documents on various displays. EPUB is the most widely supported vendor-independent XML-based (as opposed to PDF) e-book format; that is, it is supported by the largest number of hardware readers. More information about the ePUB standard is available +++ HERE +++

This wishlist request is for PG Music to provide user manuals electronically as ePUB files in addition to the current, pdf, file format.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 09/02/17 04:05 PM
Interesting info; thanks Jim.
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 09/28/17 05:01 AM
+1
Posted By: doctormidi Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 09/28/17 02:41 PM
+1 for me, also!
Posted By: jford Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 09/28/17 03:40 PM
I actually tried to convert the PDF file to ePub format, but it fails on something in the file. I'll look at it more closely as I have time. Clearly, PGMusic should do this, but I just thought I'd give it a shot so I can have it on my Kindle. I use Calibre (free) to convert various document formats to ePub or Mobi formats.

If I get a clean conversion in the near future, I'll post a copy for folks to take a look at.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 09/28/17 04:53 PM
In reading a little about this, I noticed Kindle is one of the few devices not supported. Maybe that has changed since the articles I read.

There is no way to save a Microsoft Word file to ePub but there are workarounds using a third-party utility.

I did not look yet at other programs that could save a PDF as an ePub but there appear to be some.

John, perhaps the problem you ran into is similar to Music XML, which I understand to be a similar concept to ePub. There may be syntax requirements that haven't yet been standardized. In Music XML, a single misplaced or missing character, or missing or misspelled tag, can cause the importing program to reject the file (sometimes with no warning message).
Posted By: jford Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 09/28/17 05:53 PM
For Kindle, you have to convert to MOBI format. I've helped another Music Vendor convert their documentation accordingly (Diamond Cut Software). The problem is that my source material for BIAB was the PDF file, rather than the source Word File. The Diamond Cut folks provided me with the Word document, which made the conversion much easier.

Actually, you can load a PDF and view on Kindle, but then you don't get adjustable text sizes and it becomes very difficult to read. I didn't spend a lot of time with it yesterday, but will probably pursue it further. I tried to convert the PDF back to Word, but it died about 50% through. I'll try some other means to see if I can do it.

Barnes and Noble Nook requires the EPUB format. The Calibre application supports both formats (and others).
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 09/28/17 07:37 PM
Calibre was mention in several how-to articles about using Word.

You would think Word would just add it as a supported file type.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 10/22/17 02:06 AM
If it's an open standard and is gaining popularity with devices especially suitable for reading electronic format material. +1
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 01/10/18 08:35 PM
Bump primarily to allow more people the opportunity to support the idea of having electronic manuals available in the ePub format.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 02/25/18 05:06 PM
Support.

+1
Posted By: MarioD Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 02/25/18 10:18 PM
Good idea

+1
Posted By: doctormidi Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 02/27/18 06:02 AM
Support.

+1
Posted By: Teunis Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 02/27/18 07:49 AM
Get it done correctly so that text size works and graphics are viewable.

+1
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 12/21/19 02:00 PM
Bump
Posted By: Masi Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 12/30/19 01:12 PM
That would be fine!

Masi
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 12/30/19 03:25 PM
Here are the reasons I believe this request to be worthwhile:

(1) EPUB is built on the Open Web Platform. HTML, XML, CSS, JavaScript and SVG can be used for content authoring. The PG Music webmaster and documentation group use these tools every day so they will not need much time to become familiar with using them in this context.

(2) Using the Open Web Platform means all formatting technology needed to display a document on screens of all sizes and resolutions is readily available to PG Music.

(3) As a web based document EPUB allows the use of GIF (single and multiple images), JPEG (images), PNG (images), SVG (content documents), MP3 (audio), MP4 (audio), Javascript and many other applications. Expanding the documentation through the use of these applications opens the door to the use of content based tool tips, multiple GIF images with audio demonstrating new features.

(4) PG Music documentation will become an offline resource users can view on any digital device, any time they want to.
Posted By: jford Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 12/30/19 04:39 PM
I'm all plus one for this. I'll have to try again now that I have newer versions of Word to see if I can convert the PDF and see what kind of result I get.

With a Kindle, as long as the file is in MOBI format, you can email the file to your Kindle account on Amazon (look online at your Amazon account to find the email address) and it will appear in your downloadable library. It will then display text in scalable fonts; however, be aware it will only use fonts available to Kindle (so you might see some weirdness).

That being said, the Word file I converted for Diamond Cut Productions for their DCArt (Audio Restoration Tools) is now offered as an option on their web site for the user documentation (in both MOBI and EPUB formats).

It should not be that difficult to do the same with PGMusic documentation. And Calibre is free!
Posted By: Teunis Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 12/30/19 06:49 PM
I have the Manual PDF on an iPad which is ok.

I have found generally using Calibre on PDFs is not all that successful and often end up with a document that is almost unusable, say on a Kindle.

I do find however, now that the manuals are online, they are a really great tool. The online manual is easily searched. It can be scaled (on an iPad) very simply. I doubt the manual would be much chop on a Kindle or similar eReader.

My thoughts after a bit of a think.

Tony
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 01/02/20 04:52 PM
The online manuals are a blessing. I'm VERY grateful PG Music has made both Windows and Mac manuals available online.

However, many e-readers and some tablets are offline only devices. I know this is true for both my e-reader and my wife's tablet. I use a USB memory stick to load E-books, updates, music files and videos to these devices.

Interesting side note, I download books using my account with the local library. Those files have a return time just like there is when I check out a physical book. When the return date occurs the file automatically deletes. I can extend my check out date if I extend prior to the return date and the book has no calls from other users.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 03/02/23 06:08 PM
2023 and manuals still are not available in ePub.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 02/04/24 06:30 PM
2024 Bump
Posted By: musocity Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 02/27/24 12:05 PM
https://convertio.co/pdf-epub/
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format - 02/27/24 02:28 PM
Musocity, Nice idea but the conversion tool does not provide access to all available ePUB features. Similar to trying to use Band-in-a-Box SGU and MGU files in the plugin or RealBand and discovering not all song parameters transfer.
© PG Music Forums