PG Music Home
Posted By: Jim Fogle Plugin Message Log [Resolved] - 07/04/20 09:04 PM
Both Band-in-a-Box for Windows and RealBand log a copy of the green and yellow pop-up messages to a file named "FlashMessageLog.txt". Each program has its own text file. Band-in-a-Box stores its text file at bb\Data\Logs while RealBand stores its text file at RealBand\Data.

My suggestion is for the Band-in-a-Box plugin to log a copy of the green and yellow pop-up messages it displays in a "FlashMessageLog.txt" created specific for the plugin.

Since the text file would be plugin specific a great file storage location is bb\BBPlugin\Files.
Posted By: Adar - PG Music Re: Plugin Message Log - 07/09/20 05:56 PM
Thanks Jim, I'll look into it.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Plugin Message Log - 07/09/20 06:53 PM
This was also mentioned from a different perspective in the Plugin beta forum, where there is a suggestion to have a Help menu that could show the log as one of its selections.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Plugin Message Log - 07/10/20 08:44 PM
Thank you Adar. I"m looking forward to seeing the log file in a future release.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Plugin Message Log - 04/14/21 07:26 PM
I received word from the Development team about this - there already is a log file created in your bb\Data folder that would be called bbw4_64exe_FlashMessageLog.txt (or bbw4_32exe_FlashMessageLog.txt for 32-bit plugins). I've requested to see if they can add in a shortcut button somewhere in the plugin.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Plugin Message Log - 04/14/21 10:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
I received word from the Development team about this - there already is a log file created in your bb\Data folder that would be called bbw4_64exe_FlashMessageLog.txt (or bbw4_32exe_FlashMessageLog.txt for 32-bit plugins). I've requested to see if they can add in a shortcut button somewhere in the plugin.

Simon, Thank you for following up with my request.

Your answer does not match up with my request. The text files you reference are log files that records the green and yellow messages displayed within Band-in-a-Box. I am aware of these files. Those logs can be viewed by going to Help > Utilities > Display log text of green/yellow messages. Never mind. I now see your post references bbw4 messages. I apologize for my mistake.

I'm requesting a log file that records green and yellow messages displayed in the plugin.

I don't know how many people understand bbw4 is a helper file for the plugin. As the log files are currently named makes it difficult for users to associate with the plugin. It would be nice if the log files could be renamed to something like "plugin32log.txt" and "plugin64log.txt".

Finally, I sincerely believe the most logical place to store the log files are in the storage area PG Music has designated as the public plugin storage location. That would be at \bb\BBPlugin or \bb\BBPlugin\Files.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Plugin Message Log [Resolved] - 07/15/21 10:58 PM
An "Open Plugin Log" button has been added to the Plugin Preferences Rendering page.

Way to go PG Music! Thanks for listening to community feedback.

Description: Render page with "Open Plugin Log" button highlighted
Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
© PG Music Forums