PG Music Home
See https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=87830&Number=633624#Post633624
This should work how you suggest in all browsers now.

You will most likely need to press Ctrl+F5 to force refresh the page before you will see the new dialog.
Thanks Andrew. It works now. I can now go out to another browser tab to get either the link or the text description without loosing the current popup.

If I have already typed the description before I click the link button what I have trained myself to do is this. 1/ click the link button just before the text I want for the link. 2/ go get the link and put it in the popup. 3/ click okay to go to the description popup. 4/ enter "XX" or anything short. 5/ Click Okay. 6/ Copy and paste the text I want into where the XX appears in the HTML code then remove the XX. This is almost as fast as Gmail (maybe all email programs) where I can first highlight the text, press ctrl+K, get both text boxes in one screen with the text popup already filled out.

Is the second part of my wish too difficult? Specifically having the PG-Music Forum Post number appear as a link that one can click on to execute a java-script function to have it and the full URL copied into the clipboard. I think a good user instructional approach would be to show a popup that has a text box showing the full URL as well as a button labeled "Copy link/URL to the clipboard". This would save a fair bit of work. It might be worth adding a small help text such as "This URL can be used in another post link to direct users to this post. To create such as link click the link button and follow the instructions.

As an aside. In Google Chrome I had to press ctrl+F5 to get the new popup. For anyone with the time and interest this is an excellent web page on browser hard & normal reload.

John,

Click on the text document icon immediately to the left of a post heading and the browser bar will be populated with a direct link for the post. For example, +++ THIS +++ is a direct link to your post immediately above this post by me.
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
John,

Click on the text document icon immediately to the left of a post heading and the browser bar will be populated with a direct link for the post. For example, +++ THIS +++ is a direct link to your post immediately above this post by me.

Thanks Jim.

I did not realize that. So one could right click on it and copy the address as well.

John
Correct. Right click offers other choices as well including "send as e-mail" When I see a memorable post I e-mail the post to myself.
I should try the email a post idea.

Why does your show a hand rather than text?
Posted By: Jim Fogle The Subject Of MY Post - 01/08/21 03:27 PM
When you use the "Switch to Full Reply Screen" button at the bottom of Quick Reply the window changes to another window (labeled Posting form.) that includes many more reply options.

Just under the Posting form banner is the Subject banner, then the Posting Icon: banner and the Post: banner.

Notice I used the Subject: banner line to change the subject line for this post.

The Posting banner is where you select the icon on the left side of your post. For this one I selected a BIG grin like grin
Posted By: bowlesj Re: The Subject Of MY Post - 01/08/21 04:22 PM
Quote:
The Posting banner is where you select the icon on the left side of your post.

Thanks Jim. Interesting. I guess we notice what we go looking for smile
Posted By: bowlesj Re: The Subject Of MY Post - 01/10/21 09:45 AM
I think it might still be worth considering adding the new feature which I mention in this post. Specifically having the post number show as a link to click on which initially provides an instructional confirmation popup with a (bypass this popup in the future check box). If the user answers yes the URL of that post is copied to the clipboard. Once the checkbox is checked the URL would be copied to the clipboard immediately without any popup.

This would have a few benefits. 1/ Users would be more likely to notice the feature by seeing the post number is also a link (less likely for a second wish list request). 2/ The initial popup could mention how to use the URL in the clipboard by using it in the link button. 3/ It would be faster. 4/ Add these up and a higher percentage of posts would be of improved quality (more easy to read links to other posts).
© PG Music Forums