PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier Newbie Question - 08/13/10 12:07 AM
I bought PT several years ago and kind of gave up on it because it seemed so complex. I went to live chat to ask if there was a simple tutorial that explained how to use it - the responder said no - check the forums.
I am just interested in recording a track at a time. I have had some success, but not much. I did some research on MIDI, DAW, and all of the other jargon that is there. Not sure what it all means.
I intend to record guitar, bass, and vocal tracks, Eventually I plan to get a synthesizer for keyboards, horns, etc. I do have a Line 6 POD UX1 for effects. Other than that, I am lost.
Any suggestions on how to move into this program slowly?

THanks!
Posted By: rharv Re: Newbie Question - 08/13/10 12:41 AM
Give us an idea what you DO know so we know where to start..

Can you presently record a track in PTPA?
What did you use to record it?

If you can record a track of (say) guitar, hook up the bass the same way, highlite a different track and record it the same way.

When it comes time to record vocals, hook up a mic (with a preamp probably, like a mixer) and record that onto a different track.

Let us know where you hit the stumbling block. Then we can give better answers
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Newbie Question - 08/13/10 07:46 PM
Here is some stuff might help a bit! http://rsthigpen.com/free/
Posted By: Bernier Re: Newbie Question - 08/14/10 10:54 PM
Here is a typical example of what I am running into. I use a Line6 TonePort UX1 POD device. I plug my guitar and mic into that device. When I start Power Tracks, it pops up a window that asks about MIDI drivers. For input it gives me one choice, "Line6 TomePort UX1", which I choose. For output it has 3 choices; Microsoft MIDI mapper, Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, and Line6 TonePort UX1. No matter which one I choose, I can no longer hear any output. It doesn't matter if I plug my headphones into the "Phones" (I assume monitoring) jack on the Line6 device, or the "Analog Outs" on the Line6 device, or directly into my PC. No output that I can hear. You can see how this simple beginning step can be frustrating. Help is appreciated!! Bernier
Posted By: rharv Re: Newbie Question - 08/14/10 11:06 PM

In the Options -preferences - audio section you need to select which device you want to hear the audio from (output side) and which device to record audio from (input side).

Then comes MIDI - much different than audio, and not sure if you are even using it or not;
The MS wavetable synth choice should give you sound for MIDI from the computer speakers.
In the Options -preferences -midi devices area you can see if you have a DXi synth installed, which it sounds like you may not.
Do you have a DXi or VSTi to use for a syth? I'm wondering if you missed intalling it, or may need to get one.
This will help simplify things for you, as your MIDI sounds would then play back from the same device as the audio does.
Posted By: babarton Re: Newbie Question - 08/15/10 01:33 AM
Bernier,

I've got a Line 6 Pod studio UX2, which I believe is their updated version of the Tone Port devices, and I believe you can do what you're asking. First off, realise that midi drivers will have NO bearing on your ability to hear your recorded guitar - which is AUDIO. So what Rharv is saying is correct - you need to select your AUDIO devices, and it doesn't matter what you select as midi drivers (unless you're using midi, which from what you're describing, it doesn't sound like you are).

Are you able to hear system sounds thru your UX1 (all those annoying windows beeps, etc)? We should be able to get you going with this.

In Power Tracks, under the Options menu, select Preferences. There should be an "audio" tab, select that. Can you tell me what audio driver you have selected there?

Bruce
Posted By: Bernier Re: Newbie Question - 08/15/10 07:39 PM
Hi Bruce - thanks for the help. No, I cannot hear anything through the UX1. The audio driver "type" selected is MME - the only other choice is ASIO. The audio driver choices are; input - Microsoft Sound Mapper and Microphone (Realtek Hi def) output; Microsoft Sound Mapper and Speakers (Realtek Hi def). I never even knew these choices were available, which further supports my contention that this program is very difficult to understand a navigate for the newbie...

I also noticed notation options in this windows - what are they and how do I use them? It would be great to be able to print chrod charts out in staff notation for my songs!

Thanks again!! - Bernie
Posted By: Bernier Re: Newbie Question - 08/15/10 08:30 PM
I think I may have found the problem, although I have not tried it yet. There is software called "Gearbox" which I did not have installed yet. It looks like that pretty much controls everything input and output wise. I'll find out tonight - thanks! Bernie
Posted By: babarton Re: Newbie Question - 08/15/10 11:28 PM
Bernie

If that's all that's listed in your audio options, then you definitely do not have the software drivers for the UX1 installed. My UX2 runs through Pod Farm 2 software, but I'm sure you need some similar software driver. Let me know if you can't get it to work, and I'll dig further (it would be worth a look at the Line 6 site - do you have the "Line 6 Monkey" - that software updates all your Line 6 software, drivers, etc.)

And, yes, Power Tracks can print music...

Bruce
Posted By: rharv Re: Newbie Question - 08/17/10 02:22 AM
I agree, if it's not in the audio drivers list, it's probably not installed.. unless you only have ASIO drivers, did you check under ASIO drivers? The UX drivers may just 'pop up' there!
Posted By: SimonP Re: Newbie Question - 09/13/10 02:49 PM
Hi Bernier,
Some info that may help.
There are lots of video help files on PT on this site.
If you go to products and select PT and have a good look around you will find lots of video tutorials on the current version and archived tutorials of prior versions.

They give quite good feeling for the product but leave a few holes!.

You could help me by explaining what the Line 6 POD UX1 is and how it is used?

Cheers
Posted By: Bernier Re: Newbie Question - 09/13/10 11:46 PM
The Line 6 POD UX1 is modeling hardware/software. I can go on line and choose many combinations of guitars and amps and have my output sound like that. I am even able to pick a particular artist or song and I get the same sound out of my guitar. Very happy with it!
Posted By: mglinert Re: Newbie Question - 09/17/10 09:18 AM
Bernier,
If you are new to using both Midi and Audio sequencing programmes then my suggestion would be to take it one step at a time. Step One
- disconnect your line 6 and use nothing more than the standard config. of your pc (inboard souncard and PC speakers)
- using a mic (into mic in) or any old sound source (an MP3 player, say), into ‘line in’ try to record one track of audio in PT. Make sure to 'tell' PT that you are recording an audio and not a MIDI track.
- play that track back. Can you hear it?
Posted By: Bernier Re: Newbie Question - 09/17/10 07:33 PM
Yes - I fixed my problems. THanks so much for all the help!
© PG Music Forums