PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier Recording Question - 02/20/11 10:07 PM
OK, so I have one track recorded from my synth in piano. I go to the next track to record something different and switch patches to a different instrument. My original track switches to the new patch. How can I make the first track stay with the patch I recorded it with?

THanks - lots 2 learn!
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording Question - 02/20/11 10:49 PM
Change the MIDI channel for the second track.

Either change the MIDI send channel on the synth before recording, or use 'Edit-rechannel' after the fact (making sure the whoe track is selected of course).

Synths respond to each of the sixteen MIDI channels separately. However if two tracks are set to the same MIDI channel, the synth will do what it is told; change the sound for that MIDI channel to whatever the latest command was. Even if the message came from different tracks. That is the difference between 'channels' and 'tracks'. You could, in theory, have the first part of a song play a sax on channel 4, then later have the trumpet use channel 4 (from a different track). This makes the 16 available channels flexible, but requires that you pay attention to the MIDI channels used.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Recording Question - 02/20/11 11:20 PM
I right clicked on track 2 and there is a dialog box containing Channel: I switched that to channel 2 and closed. I noticed in the info area at the beginning of the track it said MIDI output - channel 2. I can't seem to find anywhere in the track where I can change the midi input.

I also tried selecting the whole track 2 and did edit/rechannel. It has choices of old low (which was set to 1) and old high (which was set to 16). Both low and high boxes in the new channel were set to one. Is this where I can make the changes you suggested?>

Thanks as always - Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording Question - 02/21/11 04:00 AM
Yes, you should be able to just set the new high and low to cannel 2, leaving the old numbers at 1 and 16. Then everything on the highlited track should be forced to 2.

What happened after you tried the right-click option, did you play it and see if the patches were different now? That should have worked also, but I like hardwriting the stuff, like the edit option discussed.

Go ahead and try these types of things and see what happens; you can always undo, or just reopen the file as long as you haven't resaved it after messing something up.
Have fun
Posted By: Bernier Re: Recording Question - 02/27/11 09:21 PM
No luck - no matter how I try to set different tracks to different channels, whatever patch I dial up on my synth/keyboad applies to all the midi tracks recorded (or live).

I double clicked on the header of the track, and selected "select entire track". The I went to Edit/Rechannel and put the new settings both to channel 2. (leaving the old low at 1 and the old high at 16). No luck. I am wondering if somehow the Juno keyboard/synth is overriding the PT software.

I did make some discoveries though. In order to record a guitar track on top of my midi keyboard tracks, I turn off the keyboard synth (which I am not sure I have to do), then plug my POD device in and use the POD drivers for both input and output.

Please help me fix this!! Thanks again as always - Bernie
Posted By: Bernier Re: Recording Question - 02/27/11 09:22 PM
No luck - no matter how I try to set different tracks to different channels, whatever patch I dial up on my synth/keyboard applies to all the midi tracks recorded (or live).

I double clicked on the header of the track, and selected "select entire track". The I went to Edit/Rechannel and put the new settings both to channel 2. (leaving the old low at 1 and the old high at 16). No luck. I am wondering if somehow the Juno keyboard/synth is overriding the PT software.

I did make some discoveries though. In order to record a guitar track on top of my midi keyboard tracks, I turn off the keyboard synth (which I am not sure I have to do), then plug my POD device in and use the POD drivers for both input and output.

Please help me fix this!! Thanks again as always - Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording Question - 02/27/11 10:42 PM
Sounds like the synth itself is not in multitimpral mode
May need to be set to 'performance' mode or such..
Posted By: Bernier Re: Recording Question - 03/02/11 12:41 AM
Tried performance mode - actually was able to record a different instrument on a new track. However, I am limited to choices of patches in performance mode and cannot get the patch I want.

This cannot be this difficult! I have tried different combinations of drivers, no luck. I have contacted the forum where I got my Roland Juno syth from - the said I probably was in "Omni on" mode which is causing the issue, but I have no idea what that is.

Someone has got to be able to help! Different instruments from the synth on different tracks - how hard can it be??

HELPPPPP!!!
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording Question - 03/02/11 02:49 AM
Which Juno do you have? I have a couple here, maybe I can find something in the manual if its one I don't have.

Omni ON, Performance mode, there are a few things to check. Synth may be set to receive on just one channel ...

It is not hard once you know which button to push, but I'll need a model number.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Recording Question - 03/02/11 11:43 PM
Roland Juno Di-60 - thanks - Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording Question - 03/03/11 03:07 AM
I checked the Roland Site and I can't get to the manual; download fails at launch. It has to be something with multitimbral use or a mode it has to be set in. Trying sending the GM reset message. Maybe it needs to be changed to GM mode.
Can you find GM mode in the manual?
Posted By: Bernier Re: Recording Question - 03/05/11 06:33 PM
I found a way to change midi channels on my Juno keyboard thru menu/setup on the juno.
I change it to channel 2, change the track I want to reocrd on in PT to channel 2. Using Juno drivers, both in and out, on PT as midi drivers. Change patch on Juno - records fine.

Playback - Same midi drivers - Juno in, Juno out. During playback, I do not hear any other midi tracks - only the last track I recorded, and the audio gutiar track, which only plays out of the PC speaker. The midi track plays the correct patch.

Playback - change the midi out driver to MS midi mapper - all tracks play back on pc speaker including the newest one, but it reverts back to piano (which is what the other midi tracks are).

Now what?
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording Question - 03/05/11 07:07 PM
Your synth is still not set up to be in multitimbral mode. See if you can set it to GM mode or something similar, maybe performance mode ... not sure what they'll call it on that model. On my recent Juno-G its performance mode if I want to assign patches. Or it can also run in GM mode if I just want standard GM soundset.

I couldn't get to your model's manual online a few days ago, I'll try again later today.
In you manual should be instructions on how to set it up to play multiple sounds from MIDI.
It appears to still be playing one sound at a time.

Either that or you are not assigning patches to the tracks.
Did you right-click the track and select a patch for it? Did you right click the track and select channel 2 for MIDI?

What is the patch number you want for channel 2?
Channel 1 is piano, so go to event list for the track on channel 1 and 'insert' a program change on MIDI chammel 1 at the beginning of the song to program 1 (basic piano). This is called hard writing the change.
Then go to the track with channel 2 on it, go to event list and 'insert' a program change on MIDI channel 2 for program 33, and see if you get two sounds from the synth when you play it then. This should force the patch changes.
If not it is not in multitimbral mode.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Recording Question - 03/05/11 08:48 PM
I did as you said and it worked fine. I did get 2 different instruments. I understand now what you mean by "hard writing" a track. It appears that it locks in that instrument based on the first event.

However, I choose my patches for tracks from the Juno synthesizer, rather than the limited patches in the program change in PT. The patch I want to use from the Juno is 92 (bells)

I do have a "performance mode" button. As I stated earlier, I cannot choose the patch I want to use. There is a limited selection in performance mode.

I'll keep working at it.

Thanks again for the continued assistance.

Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording Question - 03/05/11 09:08 PM
Make the program change 92, forget about what the GM list says that program name is, the number is what counts. If you send a message to the Juno to change to 92, it will change to 92, not caring about the patch name. However, if that sound is in a different bank, then you'll be learning about how to change banks next.

Here's something you can try if you feel up to it.

Go here -
http://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm

download the patchmap for the Juno-D

Rename your file in the PT folder from "patches.ini" to "patches.old"
Then name the new downloaded patch map to "patches.ini"
PT should rebuild the patch map next time you start PT and give you a message about rebuilding the patches.bin file.
and you can see if the new patch list is closer to what you have in the Di.
It may be close and just need a few names changed, or it may be way off still. But it'll show you that you can access many more than the 128 numbers in your current GM list.

If a problem occurs, close PT and rename the files back to what they were. If anything real bad happens, the originial file is available.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Recording Question - 03/05/11 10:40 PM
If I understand correctly then patch lists are pretty much universal - what is in PT should be close to what is in my synth, correct?

I did what you intructed above. It must have rebuilt in a flash because when I opened PT I saw a quick flash but could not read it.

It appears that I should choose my patches in PT rather than on the synth, correct? If I do, it should record in the patch number assuming I have it on a separate track and midi channel than the other tracks.

I noticed when I opened the patch file in PT I had other choices - general midi, ROLAND GS,and others. Is there any meaning to this?
Posted By: silvertones Re: Recording Question - 03/05/11 11:05 PM
I can't get the manual either however I owned a Roland JV880 which is fairly old so may be similar. Most Roland stuff is.The JV was an 8 part multitimberal unit. What this meant was that in performance mode there were 8 different parts that could be played. You could also save a performance setup into memory. When you called up this performance all 8 instruments were pre defined for you. I think this is were you are getting confused about the limited number of instruments available in performance.Call up a blank performance or edit an existing one.Set each of the parts one at a time to receive on different midi channels. Say 1 through 8 with drums on 10.Now when you record from your keyboard it's midi out channel is probably set to channel 1 so thus the track you record will play back on channel 1.After you're done recording you need to reset the recorded track to one of the 8 receive channels & set a patch in PT on that track.If you don't all the tracks will be sending on the channel that was used to record.If your unit is 8 part like mine you'll be limited to 6 tracks.When done you should have 8 tracks in Power Tracks that have midi channels 1 through 8 assigned for out with 8 different patches.This data will cause the 8 different parts to play those tracks with the correct patch.
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording Question - 03/05/11 11:17 PM
Recent Junos recognize more than 8 MIDI channels; you can use all 16.

No the patch map is not universal (unless in GM mode, see below), the numbering system is though. If you want patch #86 then send program change #86 on the correct MIDI channel and the synth will play it. The name doesn't matter - it's the number that matters. That's why I like to hard write the program changes as described above.

If you are using the GM soundset, then the answer would be yes. The numbers and names are designed to match in GM mode. That is the beauty of GM or GS modes; they are universal.
But for your aynth in performance mode you should be able to use any sound availble on the synth, not just the GM soundset. Gm is a certain set of sounds, and your synth has many more sounds to offer.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Recording Question - 03/05/11 11:31 PM
So say I want piano on one track and bass on another.
1. set Juno to piano and record on track 1, channel 1 in PT
2. Go into PT and set the patch to piano
3. Select track 2
3. Go into performance mode on the Juino and edit/new patch to bass (whatever number that is) setting to modo channel 2
4. In performance mode, play bass and record on track 2, channel 2.
5. Go into PT and change patch on channel 2 to bass

Is this correct?

Thanks
Posted By: silvertones Re: Recording Question - 03/06/11 12:25 PM
Quote:

So say I want piano on one track and bass on another.
1. set Juno to piano and record on track 1, channel 1 in PT
2. Go into PT and set the patch to piano
3. Select track 2
3. Go into performance mode on the Juino and edit/new patch to bass (whatever number that is) setting to modo channel 2
4. In performance mode, play bass and record on track 2, channel 2.

Is this correct?

Thanks

I think you have it grasped somewhat.Make sure that the receive channel on the Juno for each part has been set to the appropriate channel of the track.Make sure after the track has been recorded that the channel number matches, EXample. If in the juno part one is set to channel 2 and you record the bass track make sure that in Power Tracks that that bass track is also set to output on channel 2 and that you have assigned a bass patch as well.
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording Question - 03/06/11 05:12 PM
Quote:

In PT I set the patch number to the bass sound I want from the synth. Not by name, by number.

The names are only close if you are in GM mode. I suspect you have a performance mode and a GM mode. Using the actual patch number is more reliable. Names could vary. If you are using the word 'bass' in the PT patchlist, it may/may not correspond to the same number and sound in your synth. I would use the patch number from the Juno, and hard write it as before for the most reliable method.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Recording Question - 03/07/11 12:20 AM
I went into my Juno and went into performance mode. I was not sure how to edit any of the pre-programed info. I was told I can program 16 midi channels with different instruments. I dialed up to 63: SEQ TEMPLATE and somehow ended up in 563: SEQ TEMPLATE. From there I assigned part 1 to piano and pressed the write button. It said it was saved. Part 2 I assigned to Bass. I assigned part 3 to patch 75 on the Keyboard function of my Juno - a patch called "Music Bells" . I then went back to my DAW and assigned channel 3 to patch 75 and chose the Roland Patch list. 75 is piccallo! I have already went to the Juno web site and downloaded the patch list to my DAW and imported it to patches.ini. However, the patches on my Juno device do not match those that come up on my DAW, even if I choose the Roland patch list. I did get my DAW to record different instruments on different channels. The problem is, if I don't have my Juno plugged in a choose it's midi drivers everything in my DAW reverts to piano.
So, if I keep my Juno plugged in and use the Juno drivers for both in and out, I can record different instruments on different channels. Next step - how can I save all of the parts together to a .wav file, keeping the intruments sounds I want, without everything reverting to piano?

Thanks as usual! Bernie
Posted By: silvertones Re: Recording Question - 03/07/11 12:56 PM
Quote:

Quote:

In PT I set the patch number to the bass sound I want from the synth. Not by name, by number.

The names are only close if you are in GM mode. I suspect you have a performance mode and a GM mode. Using the actual patch number is more reliable. Names could vary. If you are using the word 'bass' in the PT patchlist, it may/may not correspond to the same number and sound in your synth. I would use the patch number from the Juno, and hard write it as before for the most reliable method.

Yea I should of said to a bass patch whatever number that happens to be.He really should be using the appropriate patch map for the Juno to avoid this confusion.
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording Question - 03/07/11 03:54 PM
Quote:

Next step - how can I save all of the parts together to a .wav file, keeping the intruments sounds I want, without everything reverting to piano?

When using an external synth, you'll have to record the instruments as they play the seq file.

Run an audio cable from the synth to the line in of the soundcard, and record it.
Then you can mute the MIDI.
Many of us like to record each instrument to its own audio track first (for more control), but you can record them all at once if you like.
Then use the 'Audio - merge audio and DXi to stereo wave file' command.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Recording Question - 03/07/11 04:48 PM
Also take some time to REALLY UNDERSTAND how the performance mode is setup and how to set it to what you need. This is key.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Recording Question - 03/07/11 11:44 PM
My understanding now then, is that I am either in "performance" mode or "GM" mode. The issue I have had is that in performance mode I can get separate instrument sounds (patches) to record. If I leave performance mode, everything plays back as piano.

Also, the Roland patch map I downloaded does not have the same sounds as those that show up on my Roland keyboard. As I mentioned earlier, patch 75 on my keyboad is totally different than assigning a track in PT to the same patch number.

As always, help is appreciated.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Recording Question - 03/12/11 09:17 PM
I found a possible solution to my problem. Please let me know if I'm on the right track...
I loaded up my song on PT with different instruments on different tracks. I set my keyboard/synth to performance mode. I plugged a cable into the outputs on the back of the keyboard/synth, and plugged that into the mic input of my PC. I then loaded a different audio program on my PC to record. I set it to record and it recorded all the instruments that I wanted. It appears that the sound is being processed by the keyboard/synth, running it through the midi patches selecyted on the synth (not PT) and outputting it from the synth to the audio out on the synth, then into record on my PC. The only issuer now is my one audio track is not being output - only the midi tracks.

Help appreciated!

Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording Question - 03/12/11 10:28 PM
Quote:

I then loaded a different audio program on my PC

No reason to do this. Just select the correct audio driver in PT Options Preferences Audio Drivers button.
If it was the 'Mic In' connection, set PT to that. It's not a good choice, but if it works for now ...

Look on the input side and select the soundcard with the 'mic in' as the port being used, make sure it's the only one highlited, then click 'Move selected device to top' button.

Now it is the default recording device.
Leaving things set up exactly as described by you in your post above, as far as MIDI cables and Audio cables, go to a new blank track in PT, right-click and set Type to audio-stereo.

Now hit record, and you should get a new track of audio from your synth.
Now yer rollin'.
You can also mute/unmute MIDI tracks and record each different patch from the synth to its own audio track for even more control.
I think you are really close to being really happy.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Recording Question - 03/12/11 11:32 PM
If I am playing s song from PT through my keyboard/synth how can PT also record that output at the same time it is playing it?

That being said, I went to PT Options Preferences Audio Drivers button, and when the drivers window came up I selected Microphone and move selected to top, which it did not do. It just stayed on Microsoft Sound Mapper.

If I do get this to work, when I record will the audio track(guitar) record with the midi tracks?

Also, I was thinking maybe there is some way I can covert my POD guitar input to midi so it recoprds as midi. I tried converting audio track to midi - didn't work well.

I was looking at some of the other PT features and one I found was to be able to change the key by semitones. This would help as I have a very limited vocal range. However, I'd want to move all of the tracks by the same semitones to get them in my range after I've recorded them - is that possible?
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording Question - 03/13/11 02:30 PM
Do you have a line in as opposed to the mic in? It would sound better.

Yes, you can record your keyboard as it plays, it is receiving MIDI from PT, generating the sound, and the idea is to record that sound.

Do you have a different selection than soundmapper? It may be better to select the one named for the actual soundcard instead of the OS.

Whichever you select to try, just make sure it is the only one highlited so it will be the default input.

"Move selcted to top" is only for the output, I forgot that.
Posted By: Bernier Getting Closer.... - 03/13/11 11:52 PM
So I've figured out that each time I use a different midi driver, that is what produces the sound. So, I use performance mode on my Juno keyboard/synth, choose the custom program w/patches I've made, and all is well. Now, I am trying to add my guitar part. I did not use the POD device at all - plugged my guitar directly into the ext input on my Juno keyboard. I can hear it while my headphones are plugged into the Juno. I have noticed that I can record an audio track using my guitar and POD device directly to PT, but cannot play all the trakcs back together using the JUNO keyboard/synth output drivers (I am assuming it is because the guitar recording is audio, not midi). So, I thought if I cold pass those guitar notes thru the Juno into PT in midi to record. How can I do that (if I can)?

Also, interestingly, I filled a drum track with midi drums with PT. I noticed that whichever midi drivers I am using, the drums remain the same (which is good!).

Help appreciated on the guitar.

Thanks! Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re: Getting Closer.... - 03/14/11 11:47 AM
You can't pass the guitar thru in MIDI.
The guitar is audio so you'll have to record it as audio.

You are trying to use the Juno as a mixer at this point, which it is not.
But it does sound like you need one at this point..
A small mixer would make your life much easier.

OR
record the synth parts to an audio track, then record your guitar to an audio track.
As it is right now I don't see how you can hear the synth and record the guitar without a mixer...
Posted By: Bernier Re: Getting Closer.... - 03/14/11 10:59 PM
How would the mixer be configured (what plugs into what)?

THanks
Posted By: rharv Re: Getting Closer.... - 03/15/11 02:16 AM
I would use subgroup send (aux send) to send the signal to the soundcard, then you can pick which track to send to get recorded easily.

Keyboard line out to mixer
Pod line out to mixer
Computer line out to mixer

Then use the subgroup or aux send to send signal from the mixer to the computer
Aux send (or subgroup out) from mixer to Line In on computer.

That way you can 'hear' the keyboard, Pod and computer thru the mixer via the main out of mixer going to amp/speakers. And the other out (subgroup or aux) will send the signal you want to the computer to get recorded.

The MIDI connections would stay the same; the mixer only deals with the audio (actual sound) signals.

MIDI out of computer to keyboard MIDI in.
MIDI in of computer to keyboard MIDI out.

Audio out (stereo out L & R) of keyboard to mixer channels 1 & 2
Audio out of Pod to Mixer channels 3 & 4
Audio out of computer to mixer channels 5 & 6

Aux (or subgroup) out of mixer to line in on computer.

Main out of mixer going to amp/speakers

That would be the connections needed.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Getting Closer.... - 03/16/11 12:22 AM
Sans mixer right now, the only way I can do what I want is to play my song on PT with my performance patches loaded and runnig thru keyboard/synth drivers. Then plug a cable from my synth headphone jack out to the mic input of my PC (no line input), then launch a different program to record it into .mp3 format. However, now I'm getting an annoying hum in the recorded music - probably some kind of AC interference.

The next step is to import the recorded .mp3 into PT (which would render it as audio tracks) then add the guitar part I want to add, and save the whole mess as an audio file.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks -
Posted By: rharv Re: Getting Closer.... - 03/16/11 02:29 AM
If you can add the guitar you want in PT, you can record the synth parts in PT too!
Since it's a guitar effect I won't go into detail, but by turning all effects off, plugging the synth into the Line Level inputs you could record it the same way.
There may be a switch for changing the inputs from guitar level (very small) to line level (very large comparitively). You'll want to be careful here so not to hurt ant components. Turn the keyboard down and bring up slowly if in doubt.

**Consult the manual for hooking up line level signals, it should be mentioned in there. There are many versions of PODs. Some probably have the line level inputs on rear, some may have a switch; too many to check without knowing the model.

But yes, you could do it your way and lose the fidelity of the mp3 conversion. I'd try the above first. Also, the hum could be the computer soundcard from the power source pcking up hum. Try it for a few minutes on battery and see if the hum disappears. If so, a ground hum elimination device would work (raydio shark), or simply lifting the ground on the power plug by using a two prong adapter while recording.
Not sure if there is any risk to that aspect. Offer not valid in every state. see disclaimer for details.
<really_small_print_disclaimer> ...</really_small_print_dislaimer>
Posted By: Bernier Re: Getting Closer.... - 03/19/11 05:47 PM
I have no line in on my laptop. What I tried is plugging my POD device (for guitar) into the PC via USB, plugging a cable form the phones output on my synth into the line input on the back of my POD device, while keeping the synth plugged in to the PC also to make sure I get the correct patches. I then loaded my recording software (different from PT) and played the track back on PT, hoping it would route thru the synth, into the POD, and into the PC/recording software. I triewd different combos of midi drivers in PT. No luck.Maybe I have to activate the line level for the POD in the POD software - not sure.
Posted By: rharv Re: Getting Closer.... - 03/20/11 04:07 PM
Sounds like you are close.

Plug in the USB POD connection before launching PT
Go to prefs- audio-drivers button and select the POD as the audio input device (it should be in the list) and make sure it is the ony thing connected.

Then leave the synth hooked up as you said, and open the VU meters in PT.
Play the synth and watch the VU meters as you slowly trun up the volume of the synth. If you see signal in the VU on the input side, you can record.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Getting Closer.... - 03/20/11 11:13 PM
When I go to the options/prefs window and click on the audio tab, I am only shown audio driver type and audio file type (among other settings) - there is no where to choose the audio input choices.
Posted By: rharv Re: Getting Closer.... - 03/21/11 12:22 PM
Go to prefs- audio-drivers button and
Posted By: Bernier Re: Getting Closer.... - 04/01/11 02:19 AM
Worked! Got the whole thing to record thru my POD device by using the line in. Took some experimenting. I understand now that using the Juno as midi and the POD as a re-route device in let me keep my Juno sounds and record back thru the POD device. Next step is to add the guitar part in PT and reropute the whole thing back, hoping it retains my midi Juno sounds and the guitar. I'll report back. Thanks for all the help. I am starting to get a better understanding of midi drivers/devices and audio inputs/outputs. Makes one think he has to be as much an engineer as a musician!

Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re: Getting Closer.... - 04/01/11 12:02 PM
Welcome to the world of digital recording
Posted By: Bernier Re: Getting Closer.... - 04/02/11 02:44 PM
Now I have my midi tracks. I added an audio track. How can I get all the tracks to play back to record? Depending on the drivers chosen, I can hear either just the midi or just the audio.

Thanks - Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re: Getting Closer.... - 04/02/11 02:58 PM
This where a mixer comes in handy so you can hear more than one soundsource at the same time.
That's a whole 'nother routing lesson.

For now, without a mixer, your best bet is to record the Juno to audio so you can use the input for other things while hearing all the tracks.
I'd keep the midi tracks afterwards, just mute them. This allows you to go back and experiment with different sounds later.

To simplify - play the midi to the synth and record the audio from the synth to an audio track for now so you can hear the synth sounds while recording the rest of the audio.
Posted By: rharv Re: Getting Closer.... - 04/02/11 08:05 PM
Pro Tip -

In one of the tabs under Options Preferences there is a box to check that says 'always record audio too when recording to a midi track' or something close to that.

If you check that box, then when you record the MDI for your keyboard the program will also record the audio of the performance, and put it on the next available track.

Might save time in the long run if you play it well enough and don't need a lot of editing (which would mean rerecording the edited midi anyway).

/*The more you know! */
Posted By: Bernier Re: Getting Closer.... - 04/02/11 11:34 PM
I have that checked, but do not get an audio channel along with the midi - Bernie
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Getting Closer.... - 04/03/11 03:29 PM
Do you have the audio connected or just the midi?
Posted By: Bernier Re: Getting Closer.... - 04/03/11 10:26 PM
both - midi for the keyboard/synth and audio for the pod device
Posted By: rharv Re: Getting Closer.... - 04/03/11 10:56 PM
Is the track you are recording to a MIDI track?

Is the POD selected as the input device?

This feature has always worked well here, using various soundcards.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Getting Closer.... - 04/03/11 11:14 PM
I swear you are a genius! I did not have my POD device plugged in so naturally no audio input. Once I did, it did tell me that audio data was recorded and put in on a separate track. As a test I deleted the midi track, unplugged my Juno device and listened to the audio track. It kept the patch I recorded in! Now I can work with the audio data in the original midi patch sounds and add my guitar and vocals.

Thanks so much!!!

Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re: Getting Closer.... - 04/04/11 12:34 AM
Quote:

I swear you are a genius!

Bernie

See that!? I been tellin' you guys!
How come nobody ever believes me??

/glad ya found it
© PG Music Forums