PG Music Home
Posted By: ROG Problem with input monitoring. - 01/17/12 12:12 AM
Hi there.

I've been using PT for years, but for the first time I've just tried recording with effects using the input monitor. If I check the input monitor box in audio prefs everything is ok, but as soon as I check the box for allow input effects recording, all the tracks playback distorted. I'm using asio drivers and I've made sure that I'm recording line in, not the mix or stereo output. Even if I load a song which was recorded previously, as soon as the boxes are checked the distortion starts. Un-checking the box returns playback to normal.

Am I missing something obvious here? Anyone got any ideas, or had the same problem?

ROG.
Posted By: rharv Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 01/18/12 12:15 AM
What soundcard?
What bitrate are you using?
Have you experimented with bitrate or buffer size?
What input driver?
Posted By: ROG Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 01/18/12 09:35 AM
Hi rharv,

On this machine we're running XP professional with PT 2010 and using the on-board Realtek audio. The drivers are ASIO4All 2.8. File type is 16 bit at 44.1k.

I've tried all buffer sizes from min to max with no change. Strangely, the same thing happens on two other machines which we've tried.

Basically, if you start with a blank template, the first track records ok, but when you try to lay down further tracks, the recorded ones play back really distorted making it impossible to record the new one. Weird or what? Any ideas? What happens on your machine?
I don't use this facility much, but it would be nice to know how it works! Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

ROG.
Posted By: LynB Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 01/18/12 03:49 PM
I had the same problem - I unchecked the two boxes top right of the Audio Panel and the problem went away.
Posted By: ROG Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 01/18/12 04:13 PM
Hi Lyn,

Thanks for the info - it's nice to know it's not just me. If anyone else reads this and can check it out on their machine, please post the results. It could be that we've found a bug! I've made tech support aware of the problem, so we'll see what happens.

ROG.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 01/19/12 10:53 PM
Are you doing it this way? Step 9&10 is what throws people.
1. switch to ASIO in the prefs audio
2. check,"enable IM monitoring"&"Allow IM effects recording.
3. click drivers tab
4. select the drivers you have
5. set buffers by clicking on "Asio control panel"
6. OK, OK OK until you're back to the main RB track view
7. Make the track RED that you'll record to & rt click to set it to an audio track.
8. Click FX tab
9. Tricky part here- click on the "track" drop down.
10. scroll to the bottom and choose "Input monitor insert"
11. click on the "plugin"drop down
12. choose your effects in 1-4 slots
13. Good luck
Posted By: ROG Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 01/19/12 11:27 PM

Hi John,

Yeah, that's the way we're going about it, except that we're on PT 2010 and you appear to be on RB. Still got the problem on three machines that we know of, plus LynB's post. It does start to look like a bug. No explanation from tech support yet. I'll keep you all up-dated. Thanks.

ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 01/21/12 12:03 AM
Hi all,

Rob at tech support has just got back to me to say that this is a problem, but it only happens with ASIO4ALL drivers. Development are going to look into it further.

In the meantime, I suppose you can always record whilst listening to the effect and then render the track by going to EDIT - AUDIO EFFECTS - DIRECT X AUDIO PLUGINS. This works even with real-time VST effects such as amp simulation and loops the audio whilst you audition the settings. In some ways this is almost better, because you can, for example, play using overdrive and reverb, but only render the overdrive and leave the reverb until the final mix.

Thanks for the input everyone. Hope this is useful.

ROG.
Posted By: LynB Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 01/22/12 10:14 AM
This problem iss not confined to ASIO4All.
Posted By: ROG Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 01/22/12 10:55 AM
Hi LynB,

I'm just passing on what tech support said. Rob could only get the problem to appear with ASIO4All so he assumed it was something to do with it being a wrapper and not a generic driver. I was looking to change my input path, so it's good to know that this might not make any difference, thanks. What system are you using?

ROG.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 01/23/12 10:53 PM
I can say that on my system using native ASIO drivers & PT 12 all is fine.
Posted By: MoBuc Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 03/17/12 04:22 AM
Quote:

This problem iss not confined to ASIO4All.

I agree. I've used EMU 1212m & Tascam US1800 ASIO drivers & got the same buzz/distortions.

I too, am using PT2010. I did NOT have this problem in PT12 (Although both have other issues; e.g. terrible 'memory leaks' in XP SP3!).

My irritating but, play-thru effective 'buzz' work-around was

• to keep an "empty" track nearby (within an easy mouse click)
  • After I play thru, and my Buzz starts, I Solo the empty track & press play then stop & un-solo.
  • The Buzz stops & I can play/record again- until the play-thru ends. Then, I may need to redo the above.

In computer programming, this may indicate a Code Bug w/Win+ASIO. Some action is left UN-terminated (looped, etc), causing some Hardware to remain actively sending signals thru ASIO.

I'm curious, if PT2012 solved this issue.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 03/17/12 05:13 AM
Do you have RB? If so check it out and see it is also has the same problem. On my system PT is a little bit easier on the CPU than RB, but RB is still solid. I am on XP3 with M-Audio ASIO, and Tascam US 800 ASIO, neither have a buzz or distortion.
Posted By: ROG Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 03/17/12 10:01 AM
MoBuc.

Yeah, it's still the same on PT2012.

ROG.
Posted By: MoBuc Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 03/17/12 04:37 PM
Quote:

Do you have RB? ...

No. Not confident about venturing into it. I now, use my PTW for:

• some of the features that don't exists in another Sequencer that I have;
  • TC Halicon & a few other nice Plug-gins or tools;
  • Initial Quick & Dirty Drum ideas (MIDI & Real Drums);
  • And to export or render needed tracks saved in the .SEQ format.

It is relegated to a 'Tool' for me now. Sorry Pg. I ain't rich but I do need to get the job done.
Posted By: MoBuc Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 03/17/12 04:43 PM
Quote:

MoBuc.

ROG.

Thanks for the Heads-Up. I was gonna upgrade. I think, I'll continue as I am & monitor patches or PTW2013, or whatever.

Pity, I was attracted by many of the new features, cause they exists in my new primary DAW. Thus, a tiny learning curve.
Posted By: kje Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 04/06/12 12:31 AM
I have the same problem with distortion when "Allow IM effects recording (ASIO only)" is checked. This is annoying. By the way, BIAB should have direct input monitoring!
Posted By: rharv Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 04/06/12 01:18 AM
MoBuc, please take a few minutes and report this to support (even point them to this thread). You too ROG and kje. Between the three of you they will probably be able to narrow it down quite a bit.
Posted By: ROG Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 04/06/12 08:43 AM
Reported this to support back in January and they're still working on it. To be fair to them, there are so many variables at work here, it must be a nightmare trying to sort it.

In the meantime, I posted a work-around earlier in this thread which involves an extra process, but also has advantages.

Looking forward to seeing what build 2 contains.

ROG.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 04/06/12 01:02 PM
RB does not have this issue.On my system anyway. Just saying.
Posted By: MoBuc Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 06/05/13 03:55 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
MoBuc.

ROG.

OK...I'm back (patient guy that I am crazy ) We now have version 2013 of PTW Pro. Anyone know if PTW v2013 Solved this problem?
Posted By: ROG Re: Problem with input monitoring. - 06/05/13 06:28 PM
Hi MoBuc.

I'm now on PT2013 and I've still got the same problem. It appears that it only happens on a certain hardware configurations, but that's not much consolation if you have the one which doesn't work!

ROG.
© PG Music Forums