PG Music Home
Posted By: panworks "what you hear" not available - 10/21/15 11:07 AM
Trying to record a wave file in power tracks and noticed the input vu was not registering - nothing being recorded. checked audio record settings and noticed "What you hear" says currently unavailable. (I have audigy 5 rx sound card win 7) It has always worked before. Do I need to reinstall the sound card software or am I missing something here?
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: "what you hear" not available - 10/21/15 12:32 PM
I have RealBand, not PowerTracks but I also use a Creative soundcard and use the "What U Hear" feature a lot. When you said the what u hear feature is not available, what told you that? Where did you look? Are you using the Creative mixer or Windows sound control center?

I would open the Creative mixer control by double clicking on the small speaker icon at the bottom right side of your screen then click on the "Record" tab and make sure the "What U Hear" feature has not been muted. Some audio programs mute the "What U Hear" feature to prevent accidental audio feedback loops.
Posted By: panworks Re: "what you hear" not available - 10/21/15 01:04 PM
When I click the record tab that is where, under the icon for What-you-hear, it says currently not available I checked to make sure it wasn't muted. and by the way the mic also says currently unavailable so I only have line in. I updated creative drivers. I wonder if a recent windows update caused this?
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: "what you hear" not available - 10/21/15 01:38 PM
Probably. The default condition for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 is for those hardware features to be disabled so it makes sense they are disabled after a driver upgrade. Fortunately you should be able to go into the Windows sound center and turn them back on.

You will need to go into the control panel settings ( or equivalent for your version of Windows ) and open the sound control settings.

Place your mouse in a clear area of the settings window and right click to open a sub menu.

In the sub menu enable the "display all devices" and "connect all devices" selections.

You should be able to go to the Creative mixer and verify "What U Hear" is available. If not, it's time to rollback the driver update and try again.
Posted By: panworks Re: "what you hear" not available - 10/21/15 01:56 PM
no go. in windows 7 control panel the sound manager brings you to the same choices - recording devices . When you right click it gives you a choice of "show disabled devices" and "show disconnected devices" and that's it. Googling around I see this is a pretty common problem with no obvious solution.
Posted By: solidrock Re: "what you hear" not available - 10/21/15 07:28 PM
Yes a mother of a board I had, the onboard audio didn't have "Stereo Out" in the Record. So I just used Virtual Audio Cable and/or Banana VoiceMeeter Pro, they are Free or Donation.

Posted By: panworks Re: "what you hear" not available - 10/25/15 11:09 PM
So the virtual audio cable replaces windows lame audio mic, line in,what you here and midi control options for playback and recording?
Posted By: solidrock Re: "what you hear" not available - 10/26/15 12:30 AM
Originally Posted By: panworks
Trying to record a wave file in power tracks and noticed the input vu was not registering - nothing being recorded.

What is the source of the sound you want to record is it what is playing in another program or is it coming from Line in or a midi you want to render to wav ?
Posted By: panworks Re: "what you hear" not available - 10/26/15 08:56 AM
I discovered the problem when I tried to record a wave file being played by windows media player. But mic was also "currently unavailable" and other times I open powertracks and there is no response to my midi input either.
Posted By: solidrock Re: "what you hear" not available - 10/26/15 06:38 PM
Can you just drag the wave file into PT or is it a stream ?

So you enable any disabled devices in the Win Recording tab ?

If you have no sound midi input sound check the Midi Devices, check an input is selected (blue) and an output (blue)

Check the Audio Settings.

If you can't get the Stereo Mix Record then use the VB Cable/ VoiceMeeter way.
© PG Music Forums