PG Music Home
Posted By: Bill Az TC-Helicon making vocal erratic - 10/08/17 10:45 PM
I've used PT for 12 yrs. Mostly singing along with midi music using sound fonts. My old Win 2000 PC works fine with Sound Blaster Live mp3 card. TC Helicon vocal stability and added harmony works really well.

I'm now starting to use my newer Win Vista PC with newly purchased PT 2017. Everything seems to work well except for TC Helicon. Vocal quality is good but, when I apply the TC Helicon vocal pitch correction the voice sounds like some weird cartoon voice. I've been using the tc helicon for many years with no problem,[/i][i][u][/u] I've tried the built in audio as well as my external S Blaster Audigy 2NX. No change.

Any thoughts, Thx, Bill
Posted By: MountainSide Re: TC-Helicon making vocal erratic - 10/09/17 11:07 AM
Bill, which TC Helicon unit are you using? If its one of the VoiceLive Touch units or newer, I may be able to help. Usually its a setting buried deep in the multiple screens of the units. You might want to take a look at a program that makes programming these things much easier. Take a look at: https://www.voiceliveeditor.com/

This guys program makes working with these units so much easier. Best $20 you can spend if you have one of these things.

Jeff
Posted By: Bill Az Re: TC-Helicon making vocal erratic - 10/09/17 03:48 PM
Jeff, I'm using TC Helicon that is part of Power Tracks 2017. I've always had great success with TC H in my old win 2000 pc (Power Tracks version 10b from 2005) and my old, old XP laptop. My 2k and vista pcs are desktops.

I upgraded because of the many improvements in 12 yrs. of PT and I wanted to move up to my somewhat newer Vista PC with much faster processor and more memory. (These pcs are dedication music creation pcs) I have a modern pc with win 10 for all my other computer tasks.

I am attempting to use the TC Helicon the same way I always have.

Bill
Posted By: rharv Re: TC-Helicon making vocal erratic - 10/09/17 08:24 PM
My memory notes from using it:

Make sure the MIDI is in the correct range. MIDI notes an octave high or low can really mess with it.

Use the Male/Female slider to help the voice fit te range and intended sound.

This assumes you are using a MIDI track to create the harmony (not just the chords).
If you are using the chords, it was always hit/miss for me, which is why I started using MIDI tracks instead, for each harmony.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: TC-Helicon making vocal erratic - 10/10/17 08:16 AM
Sorry Bill, my mistake. I thought you were using an external hardware based TC unit. My recommendations will not help in your situation, but I see that Rharv has posted some interesting replys.

Jeff
Posted By: Bill Az Re: TC-Helicon making vocal erratic - 10/10/17 09:49 AM
Jeff, Rharv, I just solved the problem. Lately I had been doing a lot of adding guitar work to previously done songs. I just started adding my vocals recently. When using the old PT 10c version from 2005 the TC Helicon was defaulted to rather nice parameters. I just discovered with my new PT 2017 the TC H adjustments were 100 % off. I'm singing along with midi tracks and of course the midi melody is the track I use the TC H to do pitch correct.

In the TC Hel window the timing and pitch are both defaulted to 100%. My old version of PT it was defaulted to 0%. As you can imagine, it made the voice sound like it was from outer space. It never occurred to me to see the forest through the trees. I was so used to the old version.

Why would PG Music default such an important adjustment to such weird parameters?

I do like the many improvements in 2017. Much more logical layout and easy to save song to wav file. Is there a way to permanently hold the TC Hel parameters to specific setting?
© PG Music Forums