PG Music Home
Posted By: Bill Az convert Sound Fonts to VST - 11/25/17 12:14 PM
Is it possible to convert an existing SF bank to a VST Instrument bank like Coyote WT that comes with PTracks?

If not, are there any free, better VST banks worth downloading safely?

Thx, Bill
Posted By: Noel96 Re: convert Sound Fonts to VST - 11/26/17 02:07 AM
Bill,

Have a look at this post in the Band In A Box (Windows) forum.

Mike Head recently created a VST using his Yamaha XG sounds.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=395043#Post395043

See if if this works for you.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Bill Az Re: convert Sound Fonts to VST - 11/27/17 10:03 AM
Thanks Noel, I did try it, but honestly, CoyotteWT sounds are better.
Posted By: rharv Re: convert Sound Fonts to VST - 11/28/17 09:17 PM
Yes, there are VSTi soundfont players that can load/play an SF2 soundfont.

The included sForzando VSTi can also 'import' an SF2 file, but you may be looking for multitimbral features (like all GM patches at once) so there are better options.

You don't convert the soundfont to VST, you instead find a VSTi that can load soundfonts.

Back in the XP days there was a way to convert a soundfont to a Windows file and have the Windows synth (and thus CoyoteWT) use it, as WT uses the default Windows sound set .. it just does it faster and more intuitive.

I haven't tried that in years though, and doubt is an option for newer systems.

ps .. there are better options, usually. The time/fuss is worth something.
Posted By: Bill Az Re: convert Sound Fonts to VST - 11/29/17 09:00 PM
Rharv, I'm getting the impression that SF are on their way out and the VST is the in thing. I've been using my Sound blaster Live mp3 since 2002 with Sf. I then added PTPA in 2005 and it was the greatest.
However this was with my old, old pc and Win 2000. Everything worked very well.

I'm now using my old XP PC with the SB Live, but realize that PTPA 2017 that I upgraded to does not have the old conventional support for SF,. OnlySF support through something like Synthfont (which is great). I guess the VST sound type of bank is the in thing.

I can see the advantage of VST because they don't require a special type of sound card like the the old SF needed. I guess PT and Coyotte WL will work on any pc that has a built in sound card. The Coyotte WL that was included with PT 2017 is pretty decent, but I was trying to use various
individual instruments I've downloaded over the years and intersperse them with a basic SF bank to kind of customize it.
Posted By: rharv Re: convert Sound Fonts to VST - 11/29/17 10:38 PM
I get it; I was sad to see my SF2 sounds go also, but realized it was taking more and more effort to keep them working as time went by.

As you see, there are VSTi's that handle SF files (like Synthfont), and there are others also.
But to be honest, soundfonts have been fading fast for a while now.
Posted By: Bill Az Re: convert Sound Fonts to VST - 11/30/17 10:25 AM
Thanks Rharv, You've confirmed my conclusion.

Bill
© PG Music Forums