PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier Speakers - 12/06/17 08:57 PM
Not sure if this is the right lace, but everyone here has always led me in the right direction...
I have a set of mid 1980's speakers - Infinity Reference Studio monitors. The 12" woofers have a foam ring around them which has deteriorated. I contacted Infinity for replacements which they say are no longer available. They referred me to several web sites which they said could repair them. I would rather replace them since they are quite old. Infinity stated that replacements might not give me the quality of the originals.
Any suggestions for replacements?
Thanks as always - Bernie
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Speakers - 12/06/17 10:24 PM
Bernie,

I would get the speakers repaired. I would trust Infinity's guidance when they suggest you will not enjoy the replacement speakers. That guidance is likely based on customer feedback.

Replacing speaker cones use to be very common just like changing tubes (valves) in a radio or television. Unfortunately the practice is not as common as it use to be but the remaining technicians are extremely talented and regularly have access to materials not commonly available. They also get all the work they can handle from sound production companies and customers that continue to use them time after time.

The right speaker technician will have you reliving the eighties. I would vet each technician asking general questions about the materials they use, packing and shipping details and how familiar are they with your speakers.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Speakers - 01/05/18 02:44 PM
Speakers repaired and replaced, Thanks!
I read somewhere in a audio blog that work should always be listened to with studio monitors.
When listening to my song, it sounds great in the headphones but sounds like it inside a tin can through the monitors!
However, the same song by the original artists songs sounds the same as mine through the monitors. Any advice?
© PG Music Forums