PG Music Home
Posted By: midi mouse How to Shift Notation to Left? - 12/09/17 09:11 PM
When I load a midi file into PT2015, it inserts an unwanted 1/8 note rest at the start of bar one. As a result, the notation for the entire song is shifted to the right (delayed) by 1/8 beat. The notes of each measure don't start on the downbeat. I'd be grateful, please, for any advice on how to get rid of the unwanted initial 1/8 rest in the notation. Many thanks.
Posted By: rharv Re: How to Shift Notation to Left? - 12/09/17 11:04 PM
Edit-Cut-Close Gap?
Posted By: midi mouse Re: How to Shift Notation to Left? - 12/10/17 12:34 AM
Update: I just found a way to fix the problem. In Piano Roll view, right click on the note area and "select all notes". Then hover cursor to the left of any note and you will see the left-right movement arrows. Then, while holding down "Shift", use the left mouse button to drag the ensemble of notes to the left.
Posted By: midi mouse Re: How to Shift Notation to Left? - 12/10/17 12:43 AM
Thank you, rharv...much appreciated!

Before I saw your reply, I discovered the following alternative method. (Your method sounds easier, though.) In Piano Roll view, right click on the note area and "select all notes". Then hover cursor to the left of any note and you will see the left-right movement arrows. Then, while holding down "Shift", use the left mouse button to drag the ensemble of notes to the left.
Posted By: rharv Re: How to Shift Notation to Left? - 12/10/17 11:06 AM
In Tracks View you can also highlight a selection, hold CTRL and click/drag them around.
Posted By: jford Re: How to Shift Notation to Left? - 12/11/17 05:24 PM
You can also look at the "Slide MIDI Music" command to slide a specific range right or left on the time line a specified number of ticks. There is also a data filter to select which MIDI events get slid (for example, just note values).
Posted By: rharv Re: How to Shift Notation to Left? - 12/11/17 08:53 PM
.. I believe John's suggestion is under the Edit menu, in case you want to try that route.

Lots of ways to do it, depends on your workflow and what screen you are on when you decide you want to move something.

The basic thing to remember is to make sure you select all the data you want to move before moving it, whichever way you do it.
Missing a piece can cause extra work.
© PG Music Forums