PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier Ok, this one really has me perplexed! - 01/12/18 10:56 AM
A little while back I started to noticed while using headphones, tracks were dropping out and an overall decrease in volume in PT 2017. I noticed when I pulled the jack out slightly in my audio I/O device (Line 6 Pod Studio UX1 , where the headphones are plugged in) I could hear them again, but overall still decreased volume. I replaced all cables and the headphone cable. I also replaced my I/O device, thinking maybe the input jack for the headphones was wearing out. Same issue!
When I close PT, and listen to other music, everything is fine! That was yesterday. Today, launched PT and everything is fine!
Anybody out there have ANY idea what is going on?
Thanks as always, Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re: Ok, this one really has me perplexed! - 01/12/18 08:36 PM
If it happens again, open the Mixer and look at 2 sliders.

One is labeled A1 in the bottom right section. Push it up, have a good signal going out here.
The other lies between the Tracks side of the Mixer and the AUX/MainOut side, It's a lonely slider, out there on it's own, I think it's even unlabeled.
Not sure why it is there, but it does affect the output.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Ok, this one really has me perplexed! - 01/13/18 03:36 PM
I think the unlabeled mixer you are talking about is the main that controls all the others at once, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.
Interestingly today, I had the sMe problems. Also, when I closed all of my apps and just opened a movie on the internet, same issue - extremely low volume!
Posted By: rharv Re: Ok, this one really has me perplexed! - 01/13/18 06:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Bernier
Also, when I closed all of my apps and just opened a movie on the internet, same issue - extremely low volume!

Yeah, that sounds like it isn't a PT issue. More likely a Windows setting.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Ok, this one really has me perplexed! - 01/13/18 07:01 PM
I have noticed when I am playing a PT file only certain tracks play. Also, when listening to music or movies, only part of the audio is present. Not sure where even to begin on this one. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Posted By: Teunis Re: Ok, this one really has me perplexed! - 01/13/18 11:22 PM
There have been many discussions on issues with audio particularly after Windows updates. Have you looked at them? Maybe the answer is there. For example the post Re: Sound gone wonky since windows update. However to me what you describe almost sounds as if it is hardware and you a losing a channel.

Tony
Posted By: Bernier Re: Ok, this one really has me perplexed! - 01/16/18 10:09 AM
Last resort - totally restoring my system to factory image. The I'm going to reinstall everything for music step by step and see what happens.
It's a good thing my system is almost new and there is nothing on it but software for making music!
Posted By: Bernier Re: Ok, this one really has me perplexed! - 01/16/18 05:17 PM
Reimaged my system reloaded everything, all seems to be fine now. Not sure what the issue is, I just hope I never see it again!
Thanks all for your help!
Bernie
Posted By: Bernier Re: Ok, this one really has me perplexed! - 01/26/18 10:56 AM
The gremlin has returned after a couple days. Losing bass and overall volume. Did a system restore and no help. Talked to Dell and they think it may be a hardware problem. Shipping the CPU back to Dell. And the saga continues...
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Ok, this one really has me perplexed! - 01/26/18 11:59 AM
Bernier,

Thanks for the continuing the updates. Most forum responses agree the issue is hardware related. So everyone is eager to know what Dell finds out.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Ok, this one really has me perplexed! - 02/01/18 07:59 PM
Update - I tried my headphones with my iPad and had the same problem as my music PC so it is not the PC. I noticed when I jiggled the headphone end of the Jack the problem disappeared. This is what I have suspected from the beginning. I actually had my headphones and associated cable replaced, and had the same problem.. I think it is a design issue in the headphones. Since the headphone cable has a microphone built in the cable, I thought that might be the issue because the Jack for my audio I/O (Line 6 UX1) probably dos not utilize this. I normally plug my headphones into the UX1.
My PC is capable of Bluetooth and my headphones are also wireless Bluetooth capable.
When I look for audio devices in my PC it lists the Line 6 UX 1 as my sound card. Since UX1 is plugged into my PC via usb, now I am wondering if my playback will be routed through the UX1 sound card and delivered wirelessly to my headphones. That would eliminate the cable issue. Gonna give it a try.....
Posted By: rharv Re: Ok, this one really has me perplexed! - 02/02/18 09:23 PM
Yeah, I'm guessing it might work, but not how you are thinking it does.

I think the signal will be routing from the computer to the headphones directly. At that point the UX1 is no longer in the signal path between PT and the headphones.
It then becomes a Windows routing issue.
Posted By: Paj Re: Ok, this one really has me perplexed! - 03/28/18 07:55 AM
Headphone jacks are no longer all created equally. The fact that 3mm/eighth-inch headphone jacks have gradually become non-standard is one of the dirty little secrets of globalization and marketing focusing on cell phones rather than dedicated audio devices. Consumers more readily accept this crappy treatment than do professionals, which might explain why 1/4-inch jacks don't have nearly the same incompatibility issues.

Paj
8^)
Posted By: Bernier Re: Ok, this one really has me perplexed! - 03/30/18 11:37 AM
Thanks for the response. I agree - it has shown itself to be a headphone jack issue.
Do you know where I can get a good replacement?
Thanks! Bernie
© PG Music Forums