PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier MIDI to audio - 10/29/18 09:23 AM
I have a midi track with drums. I go to the next track , play the midi track, and record it on an audio track. While recording, the audio track shows green bars, and the input meter shows volume. After recording, I play the audio track and there is nothing.
I've done this many times before and it's always worked fine. Any advice?
Thanks!
Posted By: Teunis Re: MIDI to audio - 10/29/18 09:35 AM
Can’t you just render it to audio? I normally use a daw but I thought I had a midi drum track in BB and when I rendered the RealTracks to wav the midi drum track also rendered.

In a daw I would simply freeze the track which then renders it to audio.

Tony
Posted By: jford Re: MIDI to audio - 10/29/18 12:01 PM
A couple of things come to mind.

1a. Make sure you have set up PowerTracks to record from the correct source. If your MIDI is going to an outboard processor, you have to have a way of getting the audio back into the computer to record it. For example, on my computer, I can send MIDI data to my Casio Keyboard, which then has audio line-out into my little mixer, which is then connected to line-in on my Behringer audio interface, which is connected to my computer via USB (resulting in both an input and output signal to the Behringer via the USB cable). I then select my "recording" source as the input from the USB and the audio sounds the Casio keyboard generates get recorded to the track.

1b. Another option is to set your sound card to record using "Stereo Mix" or "what You Hear". This works, but make sure you mute all the other tracks (otherwise they get recorded also) and make sure no Windows alerts pop up while record, or you might get a Windows "bing" sound in your recording.

2. If you set up the MIDI track with either a DXi or VSTi sound library (such as the Coyote Forte or Cakewalk TTS-1 or even a Kontakt library), then as Tony said, just render the MIDI track to a blank track. You may need to normalize the track after rendering, depending upon the output of the DXi/VSTi, but this generally works pretty well. As I recall, the render audio to a track (maybe not those exact words) is available via right click on the MIDI track.
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: MIDI to audio - 10/29/18 11:32 PM
Hi Bernier,

Let's go to Options - Preferences - MIDI - MIDI Devices. What's selected as the MIDI Output Driver?

Is Reroute MIDI Playback to Default DXi/VSTi Synth checked?

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Bernier Re: MIDI to audio - 10/30/18 08:40 AM
MIDI device is Juno. Default synth box is unchecked.
Posted By: Bernier Re: MIDI to audio - 10/30/18 08:42 AM
Wow - I've never had to do any of that before.
For years I just played the midi track and recorded it to an audio track and it always worked. Not sure why it didn't this time.....
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: MIDI to audio - 10/30/18 03:45 PM
Hi Bernier,

Let's go to Options - Preferences - Audio next. What's selected as the Audio Driver Type?

Please click Drivers next. What's selected in the window that appears, and what else is available?

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Bernier Re: MIDI to audio - 11/02/18 08:55 PM
I figured out tonight if the audio track I'm trying to record the midi to is mono, it doesn't work. But it works fine if the audio track is stereo! Any thoughts? Thanks!
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: MIDI to audio - 11/02/18 09:06 PM
Hi Bernier,

After recording the audio recording, does it play back through both speakers, or is it panned hard left or right?

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: rharv Re: MIDI to audio - 11/02/18 09:09 PM
If this is true;
In prefs there is an option that if the audio track is MONO, which side do you want to record.
If this is set to Left, but everything is actually coming in on the Right it wouldn't record. Since the Stereo setting records both and seems to work, maybe try changing which side a MONO Audio track records from (Left to Right or vice-versa) .. or set to L&R as shown below, then you get 2 separate audio tracks and can see which one has data on it.

Attached picture stereo-mono_RB.jpg
Posted By: Bernier Re: MIDI to audio - 11/18/18 09:57 AM
It worked! Thanks so much Rharv!
© PG Music Forums