PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier Audio track cut and paste error - 12/31/18 10:19 AM
Had the strangest thing happen. I was doing a cut and paste on an audio track when PowernTracks 2018 shut down. Rebooted and brought it back up. I then received an ASIO loading error. Rebooted again and received ASIO error again, and Ethernet internet connection was gone! Any ideas?
Posted By: rharv Re: Audio track cut and paste error - 12/31/18 11:33 AM
Power Supply OK?
Posted By: Bernier Re: Audio track cut and paste error - 01/01/19 04:56 PM
Weird -except for taking an unusually long time to get on the Internet, everything is working fine!
Is there some way Windows 10'can check the power supply for Issues?
Thanks!
Bernie
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Audio track cut and paste error - 01/01/19 09:40 PM
Don’t you have the virtual multimeter app installed
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Audio track cut and paste error - 01/01/19 10:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Bernier
Weird -except for taking an unusually long time to get on the Internet, everything is working fine! Is there some way Windows 10'can check the power supply for Issues? Thanks! Bernie
Bernie, Unfortunately the answer is not really. However there is an inexpensive solution if your computer is a desktop and you're not afraid to open it up. It's a +++ desktop power supply tester +++ and Amazon sells them for less than $10 US.

You just power down the computer, open the case, disconnect the power supply from the motherboard, apply power and look at the LEDs. All of them lights up if all the voltages are present.

There are some test boxes that apply more of a load and check for noise on each voltage buss but they cost a bunch more.

Attached picture Power Supply Tester.jpg
Posted By: rharv Re: Audio track cut and paste error - 01/02/19 08:34 PM
Many times, booting to the BIOS offers some power checking tools .. not inside W10, but rather before you ever boot to the OS.
Requires a reboot and knowledge of shortcuts keys during the boot.
Large fluctuations here (especially any that dip below the recommended specs) can be a sign.

Working in the BIOS ain't for everyone, but it's another option/tool.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Audio track cut and paste error - 01/10/19 07:29 PM
Hi Jim - thanks for the advice!
I bought the tester, hooked it up, and plugged it in. All of the green lights on the right side of the tester lit up EXCEPT the -12V (second from top) and the -5V (second from bottom). Does this mean there is an issue with my power supply?

Thanks - Bernie
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Audio track cut and paste error - 01/13/19 09:14 PM
Bernie,

Since I don't know the specifics about your computer I can't say for sure but I think so.

I would either get it checked at a repair shop or if you're comfortable with computer hardware buy one and replace it. Power supplies are normally pretty easy to replace in a tower. Just make sure you document where all the cables plug into.
Posted By: jford Re: Audio track cut and paste error - 01/14/19 06:11 PM
I've had to replace flaky computer power supplies before and the new one always fixed the problem. They are not very expensive and are not too difficult to replace (just be careful with all the wires and tie off the extras so they don't accidentally rub up against a fan blade.
© PG Music Forums