PG Music Home
Posted By: Leeky Question and Suggestion - 08/14/19 06:07 PM
I want to do more older style country on Power Tracks Pro. Can anyone suggest a good steel pedal guitar Vsti?

Suggestion to the powers that be: On Power Tracks Pro, I use the notation window almost exclusively for all my tracks. Would be it possible to increase the size of the space where the cursor is located? Or perhaps just make it adjustable? Trying to move the cursor with my mouse is tough and every so often I accidentally add a super-high note as I miss the cursor space.

Thanks y'all!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Question and Suggestion - 08/14/19 09:21 PM
Hi Leeky,

Do you have a full version of Kontakt? If so you may like +++ Pedal Steel +++ by Impact Sound Works.

Another Kontakt instrument is +++ Slide Lap Steel +++ by Orange Tree Samples.

The oldest Kontakt steel instrument is +++ Pedal Steel +++ by Wavelore.

Many people like +++ The Steel +++ by Indigenous for its ease of use. It also requires Kontakt. As the newest VSTi of the bunch the introductory price is $49 US.

Of the three above I'm most impressed with the last link.

Regarding your suggestion, you may want to post the suggestion in the +++ PowerTrack Pro Wishlist +++ forum section so the suggestion will receive the most views.
Posted By: jford Re: Question and Suggestion - 08/15/19 12:27 PM
If you get "The Steel" by Indiginus, it comes with a few sample MIDI files that you can analyze to see how best to get the "right" sound using the various key switches and velocity triggers. It's not a plug and play on a simply notated MIDI track, but by properly using keyswitches and velocity triggers, you can get some pretty cool articulations. There is a demonstration video on the Indiginus site, but yes it requires the full version of Kontakt.
Posted By: Leeky Re: Question and Suggestion - 08/15/19 07:37 PM
Hi Jim and John,

Thank you for your suggestions. I don't have Kontakt or even know what that is, so I'll take a look.

Cheers.
Posted By: jford Re: Question and Suggestion - 08/16/19 12:18 PM
Leeky -

Buying Native Instruments Kontakt for the first time is not cheap, unfortunately, at $399. But, Native Instruments does have sales occasionally and you can save. Also, if you buy one of their lower priced Kontakt libraries (which can use the Kontakt Player), I have usually received an offer to upgrade to the full Kontakt for a lot less. But that is also playing a waiting game, of sorts.

For example, I waited and ended up getting an offer to upgrade my copy of Komplete 11 Ultimate to Komplete 12 Ultimate (Collector's Edition) for $299.50 (normally $599.00 to upgrade). Big savings there.

Kontakt is just a VSTi (an instrument interface that loads as a VST and allows you to load up multiple Kontakt-enabled audio libraries to play in your DAW).

There are Kontakt audio libraries out there that don't require the full Kontakt and work just fine in the Kontakt Player (which is free). So, while it doesn't help with the problem at hand, you should go ahead and download the Kontakt Player (since it's free), and then go out and look for free Kontakt libraries that are compatible with the player. That will give you a good idea and some experience regarding what Kontakt can do for you. Lots of folks on the forum here can help you with it, as well. Kontakt is a good tool to have in your audio arsenal.
© PG Music Forums