PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier Getting Rid of clicks and pops - 02/11/20 06:43 PM
I noticed when doing punch ins (audio) there are clicks and pops associated. How can I get rid of those?
Thanks!!
Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re: Getting Rid of clicks and pops - 02/11/20 11:31 PM
Highlight and cut (?)
Use Resolution settings if you need to get surgical.
I haven't really noticed, but my resolution setting may be higher to begin with.
Posted By: jford Re: Getting Rid of clicks and pops - 02/12/20 12:01 AM
Consolidating the audio track can sometimes remove the ticks and pops that happen at the recording gap points.
Posted By: Tobias Re: Getting Rid of clicks and pops - 02/12/20 03:50 AM
In Reaper I have it set up to automatically put a quick fade in and out at every edit. They are a few milliseconds in and out and can be adjusted longer or shorter as needed. Not sure if that's doable on PowerTracks though.
Also, "gluing" the track tends to rid the rascals. I think that's the same as consolidating but I'm not sure.
Posted By: Teunis Re: Getting Rid of clicks and pops - 02/12/20 04:47 AM
As was discussed earlier this week on the topic of slicing and dicing drum fills the trick is to ensure the slice is made and reinserted at a zero crossing point (ie 0db or right on the centre line). Also it really needs to be going in the same direction as the connecting wave so there is no sharp dip or increase.

As you say the nice thing is the cross fades and the really nice thing in Reaper is you can drag the crossfade to where it has the least affect on the signal. This should result in no artefacts altogether.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Getting Rid of clicks and pops - 02/12/20 10:24 PM
Crossfade audio
Posted By: Teunis Re: Getting Rid of clicks and pops - 02/12/20 11:08 PM
Originally Posted By: silvertones
Crossfade audio

Yep exactly, why not? It is the best way to introduce two parts as I understood it. One part fades in the other fades out. The fade might only be a few milliseconds with the crossing point at a zero crossing.
Posted By: rharv Re: Getting Rid of clicks and pops - 02/13/20 12:10 AM
In Powertracks I think the option is labeled 'Smooth Audio Cuts' .. but it is in the Edit options.
Not sure how this works with the 'Punch In' option.. which was mentioned in the original question.

I usually record the new track to a separate track, then re-assemble it later, and in that case the above mentioned option works well.

Enforcing this behavior on Punch In; not sure

My earlier post was more a solution for 'after the fact'
© PG Music Forums