PG Music Home

so, like everyone these days, being cooped up I thought I'd spend some time sketching songs for our band.
I was using Audacity which works pretty good, but way back I had power tracks and BiAB for XP....thought I'd get the new versions and give is a go. BiAB isn't for me so gonna cut it loose within the 30 days for the refund.

Power Tracks might work a little better than Audacity.

However, I'm at a loss to find any how to get started video tutorials...are there any? Does any one offer online lessons for PT.

I'm not good with manuals. And the PT manual assume you already know a whole bunch of stuff.

(BTW Win10
For example.

How do I configure it for my Focusrite 2i2? Or I have a Berhinger too.

When I create a drum grid, how do I save it and load it into a track

I have a cheapo Worlde midi controller which is recognized but the midi prompt says the input and output are different and to match them up in the control panel.
My control panel doesn't show them? What is that?

If I want to input analogue sound from a guitar or bass....how should I do that if the 2i2 doesn't connect? Direct? Kinda nasty?

Same for vocals?

Any help any pointers...much appreciated. Heck I'd even pay someone to coach me on line via Zoom or something to get some traction here...
I know a little...but I am completely lost here.
Go to Options - Preferences - Audio tab.
Click the Drivers button and select the Focusrite.
It will be in the list as long as it was powered up before launching Powertracks.
You may need to switch from the default MME to ASIO for the driver type in the drop down on the same tab.

I have one and it plays nice with PT.
That should get your sound going.

As for the bit rate mismatch message; that setting is in the same tab. You can experiment to find what works best.

Tutorials start here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmNMZaC8gi4
thank you so much!!!!!!
next related question...got the Scarlett 212 configged but can't record tracks...?
I play, I hear from the 2i2 that I'm sending a signal but nothing seems to appear on the track....there is a small wave but that may be from the click track...but no bass.
I clicked on a track, hit record and played. Nothing.
(strangely enough the old version I had 15 years was a lot easier to use LOL)
Also, looking to lay in a track from the drum grid I made but it won't go says its not a PT file...file is *dg and seems to be saved with all the other drums....
Finally the FAQ says this

Generating your RealDrums Track
You can launch the RealDrums dialog in PowerTracks by clicking the RealDrums button in the PowerTracks toolbar: RealDrums button When you first use the RealDrums dialog, you may need to specify the location of the Drums folder by pressing the [Select] button beside "RealDrums Folder Path". Usually the drums will be installed to C:\bb, and if so, PowerTracks will select that folder path by default. You only need to set your RealDrums folder path once, unless you move your Drums folder or return the program to factory settings.

But I have no RealDrum Icon on my tool bar?????
Realdrums icon:
I don't see one either, but that's probably a lack of updating the manual.
Try right-clicking a track and selecting 'Generate-Select and generate realdrums'
Then navigate to the drums folder in C:\bb to select a style (or wherever your BiaB realdrums folder is located, if it's on the external drive it won't be C .. it might be E or F or T or any other letter)

Not Recording:
First step; when you play into the 2i2, do the dial rings around the input gain knobs light up?
Go to the Audio prefs Driver section mentioned above (like you did before); is the Focusrite also selected for the Input driver on the left side?

Do you see signal on the PT input meters?

Is the target track an Audio track?
This one has got quite a few of us one time or another .. everything appears to be working, but if trying to record audio to a MIDI track, that may be the problem.
Right click below the track name to change the Track Type to Audio.
Yes thanks that solved it...

Man this is frustrating...the FAQ says one thing and the program is written otherwise...
Running like a dog chasing its tail....
The manual is having a hard time keeping up with the new features.

Asking here is usually your best bet when you have this type of issue.
just a word of caution, deleting BIAB will lose all your RealTracks and RealDrums (except drum sets 1-3). You'll also lose all your midi styles and the ability to create a song from the chords in BIAB first. Fine if you record everything from scratch but as far as I can see PT will then give you nothing Reaper (which you can get for free) will do or Audacity.

PT works like RealBand as the finisher for BIAB projects.
© PG Music Forums