PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier Guitar Sounds - 09/29/20 07:04 PM
A little off power tracks topic, but I’m not having any luck finding the information I need.
I am using a Line 6 POD amp modeler as my audio input. They do have a forum for custom tones, but there is really no good way to search it. I am looking for a certain guitar sound and I’d have to go and listen to literally hundreds of tone combos to find what I am looking for.
I am looking to get the sound of the rhythm guitar in the song “Because” by the Dave Clark 5. (Yes I’m an old fart). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Bernie
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Guitar Sounds - 10/02/20 06:06 PM
Recorded in 1964 when Lenny Davidson played Lead / Rhythm, likely using a Strat.
Sounds like a 62 Strat on Bridge pickup with quite a dry sound - not much reverb and very little Middle EQ which would have been typical of the times. Chords played semi-arpeggio.
HTH
Ian
Posted By: Bernier Re: Guitar Sounds - 10/04/20 08:16 AM
Thanks so much!!
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Guitar Sounds - 10/06/20 09:44 AM
If using an amp modeller (like I do) choose Vox AC30TB.
AFAICR the DC5 were Vox sponsored customers.
Smith for example used a Vox Continental organ which contributed to their unique sound and I'm pretty sure the amps were AC30TBs as std AC30s too 'soft' sounding for their style.
Lenny Davison used a Box 'Short Tom' echo unit too.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Guitar Sounds - 10/06/20 07:33 PM
I'll second the suggestion of using a Vox AC30TB model, though your Line 6 might not name it that way for copyright reasons. Which POD do you have?
Posted By: Bernier Re: Guitar Sounds - 10/07/20 09:56 AM
UX 1
Posted By: Bernier Re: Guitar Sounds - 10/07/20 03:25 PM
So where can I find an AC30TB vst?
Thanks!
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Guitar Sounds - 10/07/20 05:51 PM
Ah, UX1 is an AI.
Try Ampitube 4 Free.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Guitar Sounds - 10/08/20 09:33 AM
What is an AI?
Posted By: rharv Re: Guitar Sounds - 10/08/20 07:51 PM
I think in this application sixchannel means Audio Interface
It's not really a device meant to apply affects later.
You asked -
Quote:
So where can I find an AC30TB vst?
Thanks!

The POD is not a VST that would apply FX after the fact.
That said your POD probably does have the needed sound, but you have to find it *before* you actually record the track, as it is an Audio Interface and not a VST. So the original track would have the AC30 sound while it got recorded.
That would mean finding the AC30 Amp Sim feature in the Line 6 (if I recall how that one works; I don't have one).
I'm pretty sure if you look in the various Amp options, the AC30 will be there.

But again, that's different than a VST, however if you can get the right sound to begin with you'll likely be better off.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Guitar Sounds - 10/09/20 09:35 AM
Thanks so much!
When I look at the amp sims, I see things like Jazz, 50’s rock, etc. how can I ever find what I want without loading and listening to all of them?
Thanks!
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Guitar Sounds - 10/09/20 12:58 PM
If you're using the Pod Farm software, you'll want the "1967 Class A-30 Top Boost" amp.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Guitar Sounds - 10/09/20 09:09 PM
Bernier,

You can go to the Line 6 website and download the owner's manual for all of the Pods. The manuals list what amplifier and speaker cabinets are modeled and what name represents each model.

I've attached a page from the current Pocket Pod.

Description: Line 6 Pocket Pod Amp and Cabinet Models.
Attached File
Posted By: Bernier Re: Guitar Sounds - 10/11/20 04:15 PM
I received a message that my POD farm software should contain a preset called "1967 Class A 30 top boost". There is nothing like that in my choices. PLease advise. Thanks!
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Guitar Sounds - 10/11/20 05:53 PM
What choices DO you have?
Please list them
British Class A ??
Posted By: John K Re: Guitar Sounds - 10/12/20 12:05 AM
Then another option is to roll your own from scratch and save as a preset. Line 6 is cool and the Platinum Pod Farm is an unsung gem. Migrating more these days to Positive Grid Bias FX because the response from clean to crunch with finger pressure is more real.

You can create the sounds with your own good ears. Close enough to get the effect you are wanting without going after some amp clone. Beware of plugs that mimic some iconic amp. Most are just eq variations on a square wave. Far miss the mark of the multi dimensional artifacts of pounding down the real amp and cabinet live. Nothing we won't work out 20 or more years from now.

Role your own and can come up with custom sounds unavailable in a packaged preset if the software complies.

Stay safe in these crazy times.

John
© PG Music Forums