PG Music Home
Posted By: ve2cjw Multiple MIDI channels on 1 track? - 10/25/20 09:15 PM
I have a device that outputs data on all 16 channels at the time. How can I record that to one track ? Since I can't record more than one track at the time and that a track is assigned a channel, how can I record more than one channel on the track? It should be available becuse there is a command to extract multiple channels to multiple tracks. I'm really baffled here. Thanks for any help.
Posted By: rharv Re: Multiple MIDI channels on 1 track? - 10/26/20 09:30 PM
Simply record the MIDI from the output device to a single MIDI channel.
It will record all the channels at once, then you can extract them to separate tracks later if needed.

Have you tried it and had an issue? Or have you yet to try it?

Track assignment to a MIDI channel is only for playback, not recording.
See my other post.
Posted By: ve2cjw Re: Multiple MIDI channels on 1 track? - 10/26/20 10:57 PM
Haven't tried it yet, waiting for my keyboard. I was just wondering why Omni wasn't mentioned in the manual. Thanks.
You simply need to record, and any incoming MIDI data coming in will be recorded to the track with the same channel number as your playback device.

Channel zero in Powertracks is selected in situations like this because it doesn't change the MIDI channel on playback - anything you record on multiple MIDI channels will play back on the same multiple MIDI channels. If you set a specific MIDI channel, then all MIDI data on that track will play through that channel, even if it was recorded from a different channel.

By the way, it's usually best to post questions only in one forum, or at least that's standard forum etiquette on most forums on the internet.
Posted By: ve2cjw Re: Multiple MIDI channels on 1 track? - 10/27/20 11:34 PM
Thanks Simon.
You're very welcome!
© PG Music Forums