PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier MIDI Instruction - 11/23/20 12:00 PM
Is there a good online instruction on how midi works? Channels, etc.
Thanks!
Bernie
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: MIDI Instruction - 11/23/20 02:33 PM
Here are eight REALLY GOOD videos that, between them, provide a concise but comprehensive overview of MIDI.

+++ Video 01 MIDI Signal Path +++

+++ Video 02 MIDI Message Types +++

+++ Video 03 DIN (5 Pin) MIDI +++

+++ Video 04 MIDI Protocol +++

+++ Video 05 Channel Messages +++

+++ Video 06 MIDI Clock +++

+++ Video 07 SYSEX And More +++

+++ Video 08 USB MIDI +++

Channels is a label adapted from mixers. Typically each mixer channel will handle one instrument; the same is true with midi, one channel per instrument.
Posted By: Bernier Re: MIDI Instruction - 11/24/20 05:55 PM
Thanks Jim but way too technical for me. I did learn some things. I have a Juno DI synth. From these videos, I believe it contains both the keyboard and midi synth, correct? Also, when I press a key on the piano, the midi signal goes into the DAW, then out to the synth where the actual note is produced. But at that point how does it get back into the pc to go to the headphones?
Thanks ! Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re: MIDI Instruction - 11/24/20 08:32 PM
Quote:
the midi signal goes into the DAW, then out to the synth where the actual note is produced

Depends on how you have it hooked up.
I'm guessing the Audio outputs from the Juno DI go somewhere, which will lead us to how you are hearing it.

FTR, usually the MIDI goes out and the synth creates an actual sound at the same time. In a normal setup, the synth would not rely on the MIDI going to the computer and coming back before it generates sound.

It CAN however generate the sound from the keyboard being played and also receive MIDI from the computer which causes it to generate other sounds at the same time. Perhaps this is what's confusing you (?)

Quote:
I believe it contains both the keyboard and midi synth, correct?

It contains both the keyboard and a MIDI synth.
Question is, is this the synth you are hearing (and how).
You likely have multiple MIDI synths in play (one in the computer and at least one hardware synth)
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: MIDI Instruction - 01/04/21 07:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Here are eight REALLY GOOD videos that, between them, provide a concise but comprehensive overview of MIDI.

+++ Video 01 MIDI Signal Path +++

+++ Video 02 MIDI Message Types +++

+++ Video 03 DIN (5 Pin) MIDI +++

+++ Video 04 MIDI Protocol +++

+++ Video 05 Channel Messages +++

+++ Video 06 MIDI Clock +++

+++ Video 07 SYSEX And More +++

+++ Video 08 USB MIDI +++

Channels is a label adapted from mixers. Typically each mixer channel will handle one instrument; the same is true with midi, one channel per instrument.

My OCD is unable to handle that there aren't 16 videos about MIDI....
(preferably numbered 0-15)

Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: MIDI Instruction - 01/04/21 10:31 PM
Pat,

The first time you watch all the videos is 0 - 7 while the second time is 8 - 15. smile
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: MIDI Instruction - 01/05/21 09:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Pat,

The first time you watch all the videos is 0 - 7 while the second time is 8 - 15. smile

hahahahahahahahaa! You got me!
© PG Music Forums