PG Music Home
Posted By: Skip Ellis Sliders Won't Stay Put - 11/23/20 04:30 PM
This is probably something simple but it's driving me nuts. I took a MIDI file from online (By The Time I Get To Phoenix) and opened it in PT, then, while playing the track, I used the mixer to raise/lower the individual instruments to the volume I wanted - muting the melody instrument and adjusting the others to what I wanted and everything sounds fine......until...I stop the track to rewind and listen to my results and all the sliders go back to their original levels, negating everything I just did. How in the world do I make the sliders stay where I put them? When and if I get a decent track, I output it as a .wav file, then put it into Reaper and record my guitar along with it so it shouldn't be rocket surgery but I just can't get the sliders to stay put.
Posted By: rharv Re: Sliders Won't Stay Put - 11/23/20 08:23 PM
There is likely a Control Change causing this
CC7 or CC11 that can be found in the Event List (and removed)

You'll have to remove these to get back to a good starting point.
If you confirm this is true, a quick way to remove them (and keep the rest of the data on the track) would be to:

Highlight effected track(s)
Use CUT
Enable Data Filter checkbox (!important)
Look at the checkbox options and cut the CC 7 thru 11 events only.

Play the file and make sure it then behaves as expected.
Use - Save As to save this as a copy and preserve the original.
Open the new file, make sure it still behaves as expected and add in your new changes.

To me it sounds like the original file has CC data at the beginning of the song, making it change when you rewind the song .. but not when played from a later point in the song.

You can try cutting these CC changes in just the first measure or two, it might save time having to recreate them later in the song, but the later changes will be affected by the earlier changes, so some erratic behavior my be noticed and sometimes it's better to just start over and get it right once.
Posted By: Skip Ellis Re: Sliders Won't Stay Put - 11/24/20 12:14 AM
tharv - it's not just one track doing it - it's all of them. When I hit 'stop' after adjusting the sliders, the ALL go back to their original settings
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Sliders Won't Stay Put - 11/24/20 09:25 AM
skip.
in order to get the best out of these pg programs, you need to understand midi and how it is used in digital audio.
your problem is a common one on any recording forum.
i would suggest you get a book on midi and/or there is lots of info on midi commands on line.
midi is just a stream of data commands.

whoever created this midi you imported into powertraks has embedded midi commands that are overriding your own slider commands. its not powertraks problem.

as rharv said you need to edit out these commands.
if you NOW have multiple midi traks and each one is doing this, you need to go into the event editor for EACH and edit out those commands.

also read this midi thread.
2nd post down.
links to midi videos.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=624460&gonew=1#UNREAD

best
muso.

Posted By: Skip Ellis Re: Sliders Won't Stay Put - 11/24/20 12:08 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
skip.
in order to get the best out of these pg programs, you need to understand midi and how it is used in digital audio.
your problem is a common one on any recording forum.
i would suggest you get a book on midi and/or there is lots of info on midi commands on line.
midi is just a stream of data commands.

whoever created this midi you imported into powertraks has embedded midi commands that are overriding your own slider commands. its not powertraks problem.

as rharv said you need to edit out these commands.
if you NOW have multiple midi traks and each one is doing this, you need to go into the event editor for EACH and edit out those commands.

also read this midi thread.
2nd post down.
links to midi videos.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=624460&gonew=1#UNREAD

best
muso.

That solved the problem - thanks!!
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Sliders Won't Stay Put - 11/24/20 07:20 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso

Just wanted to mention, the Event List has an option to view multi tracks, so you can see every volume change or piece of MIDI data for the whole song.

Attached picture event list.png
Posted By: rharv Re: Sliders Won't Stay Put - 11/24/20 08:22 PM
The Event List seems like it would take more time than using the Edit/Cut window so the Data Filter could be used. Then you can cut all desired control changes in one pass.

I'm pretty sure highlighting (selecting) all the desired tracks allows bulk Edits like this on multiple tracks.
In the Event List they would have to be deleted one by one, though it is a good way to check for them first.

Anyway, Glad OP got it solved .. guess I should have explained better in my first post.
Posted By: algarve Re: Sliders Won't Stay Put - 12/07/20 06:46 AM
Probably you'll have to erase the system exclusive information (Sysex), normally found in the first or second track. Powertracks provides an editor for that.
© PG Music Forums