PG Music Home
Posted By: Pat Marr looking forward to PT 2021 64 bit - 12/24/20 03:33 PM
looking forward to PT 2021 64 bit, hoping it isn't too far away.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: looking forward to PT 2021 64 bit - 12/24/20 05:03 PM
Pssst hey Pat, guess what ........... its right there inside RB! Hey Mr. Pat, its good to see you around. How the heck have you been?
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: looking forward to PT 2021 64 bit - 12/25/20 10:24 AM
i stopped buying PT now i've got RB but some times i miss the simplicity and speed it has not having the BIAB functions
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: looking forward to PT 2021 64 bit - 12/25/20 01:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
Pssst hey Pat, guess what ........... its right there inside RB! Hey Mr. Pat, its good to see you around. How the heck have you been?

Hey Rob! Good to hear from you again! I hope you are doing well!

Yeah, I know RB is PT on steroids... I have a performance laptop that I use for playing the SEQ files I create with BIAB/RB, and I don't need (or have space for) the full installation with all the real tracks etc. Until now, PT has been a good choice for streaming SEQ files, since it is a simple installation, reasonable price, and it natively recognizes the SEQ format.

In the past I installed RB then went back and deleted all the stuff I don't need. But that's a hassle. It would be easier to install PT, since by the time a song gets to the performance laptop, I will never need to add new tracks.

I wonder if I can just copy/paste the RB.exe file without going through a full installation? hmmmm.... I might have to test that theory.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: looking forward to PT 2021 64 bit - 12/26/20 09:22 PM
Gotcha, I did the same thing. They may be basically the same program, but PT is easier on resources for sure.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: looking forward to PT 2021 64 bit - 01/02/21 03:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
I wonder if I can just copy/paste the RB.exe file without going through a full installation? hmmmm.... I might have to test that theory.

update:
I went even farther than copying/pasting the RB executable. I copied the whole RealBand directory, thinking that would provide everything I need to run RB.

And in a way, that worked. RB did start. But the startup process included a number of messages along the lines of "Oh no! RB can't find the BB directory! Danger Will Robinson! We really need some stuff in that directory, but we can't find it! You must not have installed correctly!"

After clearing multiple such warnings, the program started. But, when I tried to put effects on a track, there were none to be found. Apparently those are shared between programs, and they get stored in the BB folder. There might be more things that get shared, but I pulled up the brakes at this point.

I probably could have copied the effects to a sham bb directory, but I'll wait for Power Tracks to be released in 64 bits
The plugins are installed in a completely separate location from either BB or RB, as they're DX plugins and need to be registered into Windows. They're installed by the main BIAB/RB installer.

It's possible to install RealBand on it's own using the main BIAB/RB installer, and RB can run perfectly fine without BB, just of course will not be able to generate Realtracks.

When installing RB without BB, you need to have the fonts, Coyote WT, and PG Music DirectX plugins installed - please see the screenshot of the setup window.

Attached picture realband setup.png
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: looking forward to PT 2021 64 bit - 01/05/21 01:26 PM
thanks simon!

I followed your directions and got RB set up and working on my performance computer. It may be worth noting, however, that I still had to deal with messages saying that my installation was incomplete and I wouldn't be able to generate songs. Took at least two iterations of responses, including clicking the box "never show this dialog again" before I stopped being confronted with the warnings. But, all is good now!

I am especially happy about mixing and then playing from the same version of RB, because now all my effects will follow the project to the next computer. Before, when I was mixing in RB, then moving the song to an old version of Power Tracks, I had to setup all of the effects again on the new computer.
You're welcome Pat!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: looking forward to PT 2021 64 bit - 03/07/21 01:20 PM
I just saw that PT x64 is available, so I bought it and am using it successfully! You usually have to read about problems in these forums, but in this case I'm just letting you know I'm a happy camper! Thanks again for providing products that add fun to my life!
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
I just saw that PT x64 is available, so I bought it and am using it successfully! You usually have to read about problems in these forums, but in this case I'm just letting you know I'm a happy camper! Thanks again for providing products that add fun to my life!

Thanks for the kind words Pat! Glad you're enjoying using it as much as we enjoyed making it!
© PG Music Forums