PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier Audio device error with PT2021 - 02/06/21 05:41 PM
Just installed ver 2021 of Power Tracks. When I load the program, I get the error message “Could not open audio device. This can occur if another program using the same audio device in Exclusive mode. If this persists, try rebooting the program.”
I tried running the program as administrator, same issue.
I am using the drivers that come with my Toneport UX1 audio device. I reinstalled the drivers, no help.
Please advise. Thank you!
Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re: Audio device error with PT2021 - 02/06/21 07:49 PM
"Could not open audio device. This can occur if another program using the same audio device in Exclusive mode."

Do you have other audio programs open?
Message implies some other program has reserved the ASIO driver.
So PT can't access it.
Possibly even Windows reserving the driver .. ASIO is often a one master dog .. Once one program locks it, others can't access it
Posted By: Bernier Re: Audio device error with PT2021 - 02/07/21 10:30 AM
How can I research this?
Thanks!
Posted By: rharv Re: Audio device error with PT2021 - 02/07/21 11:07 AM
Have you tried other Drivers?
Is it only the Toneport?
Will it work in MME instead of ASIO?
Posted By: Bernier Re: Audio device error with PT2021 - 02/07/21 11:10 AM
Never tried MME. is there advantages or disadvantages to it?
Thanks- Bernie
Posted By: Bernier Re: Audio device error with PT2021 - 02/07/21 12:16 PM
Went to control panel to look at devices using audio.

AMD high definition audio device
FBV Express mk ll
Juno series
Line 6 UX1
Realtek audio

I disabled all of the devices except Line 6 UX1 and it worked. However, I need to have my Juno series device working also. When I added that back in, got the same ASIO error.

I never had this issue with PT 2020. And PT 2021 seems to default to Windows driver on boot up when I look in preferences audio.

Also tried MME and got a message it will not work.
Any other steps appreciated!
Bernie
Posted By: rharv Re: Audio device error with PT2021 - 02/07/21 12:35 PM
I didn't think Juno series driver was ASIO, just MIDI.

They are two different driver types.
The Juno would be used under MIDI Devices (I think) and should not cause any ASIO issues.
What are you using this driver for? (what device)

Looking at this driver, it is finicky about what kind of USB connection it has, Thought I'd mention. If it is a problem may want to try a different USB connection.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Audio device error with PT2021 - 02/07/21 12:44 PM
What I don’t understand is that I didn’t have this problem with PT 2020. Is there something different about how PT 2021 operates?
Also the Juno device is a Juno-DI synth.
Thanks.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Audio device error with PT2021 - 02/07/21 12:54 PM
Here is a weird one - I shut down, unplugged the usb cable on both ends to the UX 1, replugged and booted up - everything is working fine now!
Bernie
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Audio device error with PT2021 - 02/07/21 01:24 PM
bernier.
in case you continue to have problems.
line6 site has a section in support for their products,
includeing legacy ones. ie answers to common problems.

have you checked line 6 support for updated drivers ?
you might also check on the line6 site for other users comments/recommendations/solutions.
lots of user info i found.

frankly i retired my toneport.
in my case (and this might apply to you, dont know) i was useing toneport to lay down rough guide guitar tracks.
instead once i got a new usb interface , i simply hooked up to its line input a zoom guitar pedal i had with various "amps" built in. worked a treat. worked easy peasy for me.
no hassles. thus i can lay down guide traks easy , and then use amp vst plug ins after recording zoom>>usb interface line in. just one of many methods.

the zooms are cheap eg g1xon. and there are many other brands.
just you tube for lots of info on guitar pedals with lots of amp emulations/fx built in. lots of brands.
here are a list of usb interfaces pg users seem happy with.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=635707#Post635707
you might consider a new usb interface at some point.
just an idea.
best.
muso.

Posted By: rharv Re: Audio device error with PT2021 - 02/07/21 02:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Bernier
Here is a weird one - I shut down, unplugged the usb cable on both ends to the UX 1, replugged and booted up - everything is working fine now!
Bernie

So likely wasn't a PT problem at all, maybe you got an update or something .. re-initializing everything is often a good first step to a solution.
Good thing to remember.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Audio device error with PT2021 - 02/08/21 11:18 PM
Manually setting sample rate for your audio interface can help too. Try this:

Right click on the Windows Start menu and choose Settings, then click on System followed by Sound. Scroll to the bottom and choose Sound Control Panel. If Sound Control Panel is not at the bottom, it may be on the right side.

Under the Playback tab, choose your default audio device (with the Green checkmark), then click on Properties. Go to the Advanced tab and choose 16-bit 44100 Hz (CD Quality) and click OK. If there is only the option of 24-bit 44100 Hz (Studio Quality), choose that instead. While we're here, uncheck the option to "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".

Next, do the same on the Recording tab with the device that has the Green checkbox. Click Properties, go to the Advanced tab, and choose 16-bit 44100 Hz (CD Quality) and click OK. If there is only the option of 24-bit 44100 Hz (Studio Quality), choose that instead. While we're here, uncheck the option to "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".

Once that is done, click OK on the Sound window, then go back to Band-in-a-Box/RealBand/PowerTracks and make sure it is working.
© PG Music Forums