PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier ASIO issues? - 08/28/21 05:12 PM
I have PTPA 2021. Downloaded ver 4 update. All kinds of probs freezing, shutting down, etc. did fresh install, same issues but at different times. Was getting ASIO loading errors, which I have had intermittently before.
I switched to MME and issues seemed to have disappeared. I understand MME goes through the OS before output, but is there really that much difference ? I am only a hobbyist.
I have a Line 6 Toneport UX1 as my audio output. As far as I can tell, it uses proprietary ASIO drivers. I checked it and was told I have the latest drivers though they are several years old. I tried to reinstall them and the program that does this does not work. I have contacted Line6 tech support.
I have tried ASIO4ALL in the past and it didn’t seem to work.
My point is, in my situation is there anything diminished by using MME drivers?
Thanks to all!
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: ASIO issues? - 08/28/21 05:30 PM
i ditched my toneport ages ago. its in a cupboard.
ideally you want a proper usb asio interface.
heres a list that pg users find work well......
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=635707#Post635707

MY ADVICE ? rent the device before buying to ascertain
it works well with your pc.
no dont use mme.
best
om
Posted By: rharv Re: ASIO issues? - 08/28/21 05:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Bernier
I have PTPA 2021. Downloaded ver 4 update. All kinds of probs freezing, shutting down, etc. did fresh install, same issues but at different times. Was getting ASIO loading errors, which I have had intermittently before.
I switched to MME and issues seemed to have disappeared. I understand MME goes through the OS before output, but is there really that much difference ? I am only a hobbyist.
I have a Line 6 Toneport UX1 as my audio output. As far as I can tell, it uses proprietary ASIO drivers. I checked it and was told I have the latest drivers though they are several years old. I tried to reinstall them and the program that does this does not work. I have contacted Line6 tech support.
I have tried ASIO4ALL in the past and it didn’t seem to work.
My point is, in my situation is there anything diminished by using MME drivers?
Thanks to all!

Depends what you are trying to do.
Unless you are trying to trigger some softSynth or FX, MME won't matter for sound quality.
It's just Response time that makes a difference really
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: ASIO issues? - 08/28/21 11:06 PM
ASIO normally is the driver of choice for recording. The manufacturer provides an ASIO audio driver to reduce audio playback latency, or speed, during the recording process. A good ASIO driver helps the hardware meet the published audio latency specifications. However, sometimes an older ASIO driver does not work well with a newer operating system or program. It is up to the manufacturer to keep their driver up to date and many do; but unfortunately some don't.

When you want to record and ASIO isn't working too good the next best choice is WASPI. RealBand calls WASPI "Windows Audio" so I suspect PowerTrack Pro uses the same name. WASPI is part of the Windows operating system and is meant to replace ASIO when ASIO is not available or doesn't work well. Some manufacturers rely on WASPI and don't supply an ASIO driver.

If you are not recording the best audio driver choice is MME. MME is the most stable of the three audio driver selections RealBand and (I hope) PowerTrack offer. MME trades audio playback speed for system stability.
Posted By: Bernier Re: ASIO issues? - 08/29/21 10:46 AM
My Toneport is my audio input device and also amp modeler. By using a generic MME or Windows audio input drive, can it still be used as an amp modeler since it comes with its own proprietary ASIO driver?
power Tracks defaults to a Windows audio driver, which I assume is the WASPI driver mentioned in an earlier post.
Thanks again for the advice!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: ASIO issues? - 08/29/21 11:32 AM
Yes, the Line 6 Toneport will work the same as always. However, when you record there will be a time delay between the instant you play and when you hear the playback audio.
Posted By: Bernier Re: ASIO issues? - 08/29/21 12:15 PM
Enough of a time delay to notice?
Thanks!
Posted By: rharv Re: ASIO issues? - 08/29/21 12:21 PM
Try it!
What Jim said may/may not be true as far as the time delay, which is why I asked what you are trying to do.
Depends on your monitor routing; if you can hear the Toneport directly as you play it'll be fine, if it is going to the computer first and then coming back, there will be a delay. It's often called Direct Monitoring or such.

Since the Amp Modeling happens inside the Toneport (not on the computer) it may be just fine.
If, however, you loaded an Amp Sim VST inside the computer and expected to play thru that, ASIO would be much better.

Since the amp sim is 'generated' inside the interface device the buffers in MME may be fine, though you may want to perform any delicate punch-ins on a separate track.
Posted By: Bernier Re: ASIO issues? - 08/29/21 05:50 PM
Yes, there was latency, which won’t do,
Posted By: Bernier Re: ASIO issues? - 08/29/21 05:53 PM
Ok, guess it’s time to get a new audio interface. I liked the Toneport because it also had amp modeler software. I just need to plug my guitar into it.
I also like the custom tones they offered - you could pick out a song or guitarist and there would be lots of plug ins.
So, that being said, I would appreciate any suggestions that won’t break the bank!
Thanks, as always, Bernie
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: ASIO issues? - 08/29/21 07:51 PM
Bernier.
maybe we should request pg build into rb and powertraks a nice guitar amp.
till then there are lots of free guitar amp plug ins if you google that you can test out.
or for pay ive been checking out this...
two notes....lots of clean thru distorted tones...
hardware unit..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTLhWJ9Opvo
and the web site...
https://www.two-notes.com/en/
many different guitar products.
CHECK OUT THE WALL OF SOUND SOFTWARE...!!!
https://www.two-notes.com/en/torpedo-series/torpedo-wall-of-sound/
there is also audient sonos for guitars..dont know how good.
https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/sono/overview/
and the axe interface.
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/axeio/

as i said before either RENT for a testing time to see
if it works well with powertraks. my music store gives me a month to test and return

you tube has lots of demoes of interfaces for guitarists.
rock out Bernier.
oldmuso
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: ASIO issues? - 08/29/21 09:15 PM
Bernier.
ok from all my research last couple of hours and you tube i feel the ik multimedia axe is the best deal at
350 buks as it has so many guitar amp emulation/model features plus its a low latency asio interface also with mic preamps for doing vocals etc.
it seems to cover all the bases.....
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/axeio/
page down the above page for all the guitar features.
(see you tube for demos.)
i'm thinking of tradeing in one of my current interfaces for it.
if were me i would check out the axe first. later you could add the two notes software plug in for even more variety. (note RENT to see if it works on your pc before buying.)
best
om
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: ASIO issues? - 08/29/21 10:50 PM
Does your Toneport have a headphone jack? Plug your headphone into the Toneport headphone jack and there may not be noticeable latency.
© PG Music Forums