PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 08/30/21 03:03 PM
So I broke down and bought a new audio usb interface - Focusrite Scarlett usb 4i4. Installed it. All audio functions work fine.
Loaded the midi drivers Focusrite midi drivers for input and output into PT. Juno Di keyboard/synth L/R output 1/4” cables plugged into Focusrite unit line inputs.
I can see keypresses from Juno on Power Tracks screen but no sound can be heard, and the input monitors on Power Tracks do not show any activity.
Advise appreciated!
Bernie
Hello Bernier, in PowerTracks go to Options | Preference | 6-MIDI | MIDI Device. Make sure that the "Re-Route MIDI Playback to default DXi/VSTi Synth" checkbox is checked. And select Coyote Wavetable Synth in the dropdown menu. Does this help with hearing your MIDI playback?

Attached picture PT_MIDI_Setup.png
Posted By: rharv Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 08/30/21 06:24 PM
If the Juno DI line outs are connected to the 4i4 Line Ins, you should hear sound in the headphones of the 4i4. (first test)

Then you need to make sure you have MIDI out from the Juno Di to the Focusrite so you can send MIDI thru along with the audio (which should already be going from the Juno to PT via the 4i4 judging from your description).
You'll likely want MIDI out from 4i4 to the MIDI In on the Juno also, at least I would.

Audio and MIDI are separate.
Lastly to hear the audio in PT you may need to visit the Audio Driver screen and make sure you have the right inputs/outputs selected for the 4i4.

Once you get it all set up right I think you'll be happy.
I use a 2i2 and 18i20 regularly.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 08/31/21 01:34 PM
Hi thanks for the input.
I just spent several hours with tech support from Focusrite. We could not get it to work correctly. They are on chat with pgmusic at the same time and we could not solve my problems.
Focusrite has audio inputs on the front and back. One jack in the front, two in back for stereo. Using the mono out from my Juno keyboard to the front jack worked fine. When I plugged the jacks in the back of the Focusrite it didn’t work. We saw input on the meters in the Focusrite control software, but very, very weak. The Focusrite rep told me it was a DAW issue and suggested I use a different DAW. I hate to change because I’ve been using PT for 10 years and am very familiar with it. I know how to use the Kontakt horn plug ins, etc. also, if I change, how can I get a new DAW to read seq files as they are proprietary to PT?
Your sage advice is appreciated! Bernie
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 08/31/21 04:50 PM
If the Focusrite Control software is showing you low input levels, that is nothing to do with PowerTracks or any other software at all, it would most likely be a problem with the keyboard, the wiring, or the audio interface itself.

Either way, to use the rear inputs for recording, please go to Options > Preferences > Audio, make sure Audio Driver Type is set to ASIO, then click Drivers. Select "Input 3 + Input 4" on the left side under Input Ports, then click OK.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 08/31/21 05:51 PM
Just got too frustrating so I returned it and bought a Presonus USB audio interface.
I did learn some things though. The audio out jacks from my Juno Di keyboard /synth plug into audio inputs on the audio interface. Midi from the Juno is completed routed through the USB cable that plugs directly into my PC. Since I only record with the keyboard OR guitar at one time, I only need 2 1/4” jacks on my audio interface to record audio!
Posted By: Bernier Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 08/31/21 05:52 PM
Tried that, no luck.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 08/31/21 06:41 PM
How's the Presonus working now Bernier?
Posted By: rharv Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 08/31/21 07:09 PM
Apparently it isn't, which means it is likely something other than the interface.

Bernier, did you at any point plug headphones into the 4i4 or the Presonus and check if you then can hear your keys?
At this point we would know they are getting that far. If not, something is probably amiss with the keyboard to interface connection.
Start at the source and work your way forward finding where the issue actually lies.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 08/31/21 08:08 PM
Presonus is working fine!
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 08/31/21 08:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Bernier
Presonus is working fine!

Good to hear! Let us know if you need any further assistance.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/01/21 10:43 AM
Presonus not working again. Getting Error starting ASIO driver. I had this sam exact isue with my Toneport USB interface that I got rid of because of this constant error. This tells me there is something workkng with Power Tracks. I'm also getting noticable line noise I never had before.
Help Please!!!!
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/01/21 11:10 AM
Bernier.
the fact that you had problems with focusrite and now presonus indicates its possible that windows
and/or drivers and/or settings in ptraks are wrong somewhere that you have set.
(HAVE YOU UPDATED WIN OS RECENTLY ? MY ADVICE I KEEP MY
RECORDING RIG OFF THE NET SO THIS DONT HAPPEN. I NEVER GET A PROBLEM THEREFORE WITH UPDATES CORRUPTING A SETTING ETC.)
(note these devices work well for other pg users... from posts ive seen in the forums.)
SO THIS IS IMPORTANT..
please post pics of the following.
1. in win sound devices your recording and playback settings.
2. i assume like most new devices these days your presonus has a user control panel with various settings...
please post a pic of those settings. it will prolly be a little app installed on your task bar.
3. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT...please post pics of both your audio driver settings in ptraks as well as your midi driver settings.

and thus with the above info support people and other users like myself whove been through the mill with set ups can help you solve the problem. and thus we arent flying blind.

also try this....starting out.
IN WIN SOUND DEVICERS, AND PTRAKS, AND YOUR PRESONUS CONTROL PANEL (IF THIS APPLIES)..
try setting everything to 44.1/16 bit...or 44.1/24 bit...POST BACK IF THIS WORKS...
IE SAME SETTTINGS EVERYWHERE.
just trying to help you so dont kick me...lol. and YES i know set ups are frustrateing... been there done that many times.
best
oldmuso
ps even if you DO get things working please STILL post the pics to ensure other possible problems dont crop
up in a future sessions.
also FINAL RULE....ALWAYS LISTEN TO RHARV AND SIMON.
these guys know their stuff. you posting back pics will help them help you.
Posted By: rharv Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/01/21 07:03 PM
Error starting ASIO driver could mean something else already has it in use (reserved)
Can you screen shot the error? That may provide more clues.

Are other apps open that may be using it (browser, Media Player, etc)?

As OM said above, it could be Windows reset something and you need to set it back.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/01/21 08:00 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
Error starting ASIO driver could mean something else already has it in use (reserved)
Can you screen shot the error? That may provide more clues.

Are other apps open that may be using it (browser, Media Player, etc)?

As OM said above, it could be Windows reset something and you need to set it back.

That's my first thought - I don't think Presonus ASIO does multi-client. Are there any other audio apps open while running PowerTracks?

I've seen a lot of customers have issues with Presonus drivers. Generally speaking the solution for them is to use Windows Audio instead of ASIO, since Windows Audio can be multi-client.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/02/21 11:08 AM
OK Here goes.
1. Looked at task manager to see if anything else was running - no.
2. MSCONFIG services - lots of those, not sure if there is anything grabbing audio
3. Updated Windows OS, video and audio drivers.
4. Reinstalled PT 2021 and tried PT. Also, added updates one at a time trying PT afterward.
Could only post 5 pics so the rest are on my next post.

Attached picture Audio.jpg
Attached picture Error.jpg
Attached picture midi.jpg
Attached picture Playback.jpg
Attached picture Recording.jpg
Posted By: Bernier Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/02/21 11:14 AM
Here are the rest

Attached picture Recording.jpg
Attached picture Settings.jpg
Attached picture Audiobox 1.jpg
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/02/21 01:11 PM
Bernier.
please also provide 2 further pics. in win sound devices.
1. playback tab. presonus hilite and click on properties for presonus.
post pic of advanced dialog settings..
2. recording tab. presonus again , hilite again and clik properties.
post pic of advanced dialog settings.
if you see exclusive ticked...run a test with unticked.

outside of ptraks when you play an mp3 or cd or wav does win play it ?
after youve posted above 2 pics i would let pg support comment as to your settings.
also i would run a test with input monitoring deselected in ptraks drivers dialog.
best
om
Posted By: Bernier Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/02/21 02:21 PM
Pics below. No, regular audio files do not play.
Tried input monitoring deselected, same issue.
Pics show after I deselected exclusivity.

Attached picture Exclusive1.jpg
Attached picture Exclusive2.jpg
Posted By: Bernier Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/02/21 02:23 PM
Hi Simon - can you please review the rest of my posts?
Thanks!
Bernie
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/02/21 02:58 PM
Bernier.
from the presonus site. have you read this ?
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210044653-AudioBox-Family-Record-and-Playback-troubleshooting-

in those advanced tabs note you have 48khz selected.
might not make a diff but change to 44.1khz 16 bit.
also see levels tabs, check to see those levels are up ?
(sometimes one has to experiment.)

if your not getting playback outside of ptraks...
eg are you able to play a song back from you tube ?
then somethings muted somewhere obviously.
are you sure you dont have something muted in audio box ?

if this cant be solved , you might have to try another interface. but...for now forget ptraks ...
lets focus on you not getting regular windows media player playback. therein prolly lies the solution.
keep your chin up ! i'm curious to see what simon says.
but try advanced tabs 44.1 16 bit and set everything as a test to that.
best
om
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/02/21 03:30 PM
BERNIER.
please also read previous post.
this is important addendum.
bernier in windows sound playback >>>properties >>>advanced
SEE THE TEST BUTTON ? DO YOU HEAR SOUND WHEN PHONES ARE PLUGGED INTO YOUR PRESONUS box ?
om
Pics below. No, regular audio files do not play.
Tried input monitoring deselected, same issue.
Pics show after I deselected exclusivity.

These screenshots show that you are using 48k Hz. Please change it to 16-bit 44100 Hz (CD Quality) and click OK. If there is only the option of 24-bit 44100 Hz (Studio Quality), choose that instead. RealBand, PowerTracks, and Band-in-a-Box all uses 44.1K Hz, so having anything along the audio chain be a different sampling rate can cause issues.
Posted By: rharv Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/02/21 06:50 PM
I agree with Chantelle above ^^
PT is set at 16/44 and Windows is at 24/48

Even if it DID start you'd have other issues with crackles, pops and noise.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/02/21 07:01 PM
Bernier - if regular audio isn't playing through the Presonus, I'd suggest talking to them to get it up and running. If Windows can't even play sound through it, PowerTracks definitely won't be able to.

As others have mentioned, the device is set to 24-bit 48khz, while I'm noticing that Universal Control says it's set to 44.1khz - that indicates to me that something in the Presonus driver/Universal Control is not working properly. Try manually setting the Windows preferences to 44.1khz (16-bit if possible, or 24-bit is fine) and see if that helps any.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/03/21 10:25 AM
Failed to play test tone - no sound
Posted By: Bernier Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/03/21 10:26 AM
Changed in advanced properties to 16 bit 44.1, still no sound
Posted By: Bernier Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/03/21 10:30 AM
No sound - “failed to play test tone”
Posted By: Bernier Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/03/21 10:41 AM
I believe my problem is not with Presonus because I’ve had intermittent cannot load ASIO driver with every audio interface I’ve had. The only difference with Presonus is that it happens EVERY time I open Power Tracks. I’m really getting down because now nothing audio works. I’ve made so many changes described above that I don’t know where to go now!
Posted By: Bernier Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/03/21 10:50 AM
Contacted Presonus tech support. They asked me to upload a system information file, which I did. We’ll see what happens next.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/03/21 10:55 AM
Bernier.
be patient please. its process of elimination.
SEE THE LEVELS TAB ? NEXT TO ADVANCED TAB IN WIN SOUND ?
click it for both recording and playback for presonus...in win sound ....
and post back 2 pics again. ie recording level tab/pic and playback level tab/pic.
something is prolly muted.
om
Posted By: Bernier Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/03/21 11:03 AM
Btw, I have also been getting blue screen of death “reference by pointer” errors while not doing with Power Tracks - browsing the web, looking at pics, etc.
Posted By: Bernier Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/03/21 11:05 AM
They are both at 100%, nothing is muted.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/03/21 11:26 AM
Bernier.
re bsods. search in google "win 10 bsod problem reference pointer"..
please do this now, and youll see a number of possible reasons come up.
i dont have space to list them all.
i would suggest you get your pc checked out by a qualified pc tech.

ok so levels are good.
how old is this pc ? one drive ? processor ? amd ? intel ? ssd ? ram good ? plenty of free ram ?

now lets turn to the presonus device. i assume your seeing an on light on it lit up ? are you ?
do you have other devices also attached via usb ? external drives etc ?
give as much details bout your pc as possible.
i gotta go now to do a mixdown.
om
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/03/21 01:09 PM
Bernier.
please read last post first then this one.

Bernier.
ok ive been thru the presonus manual in detail.
have you done this test ?
1. plug in headphones.
2. set mixer control to playback.
3. gradualy "carefullly " bring up headphone volume while clicking on TEST in win playback.
STILL NO SOUND ?
1. i assume you installed presonus drivers.
2. NEXT THIS IS IMPORTANT...
PLEASE POST A PIC OF YOUR WINDOWS DEVICE MANAGER DISPLAY THAT LISTS ALL DEVICES ON YOUR PC.
this will show any flags //potential device problems.
be patient please, i'm just trying to help.
om
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/03/21 04:27 PM
I believe my problem is not with Presonus because I’ve had intermittent cannot load ASIO driver with every audio interface I’ve had.

That usually happens if another program is using the ASIO driver. Typically ASIO only allows one application to use the driver at a time, and all other applications will have errors like this.

I know that the most recent Focusrite drivers allow for multi-client use, but I'm fairly certain Presonus does not.

Contacted Presonus tech support. They asked me to upload a system information file, which I did. We’ll see what happens next.

Great! Hopefully they'll be able to help you get your interface going! Once it's working in Windows we can do more to help here if it doesn't work in Powertracks after that point.

Btw, I have also been getting blue screen of death “reference by pointer” errors while not doing with Power Tracks - browsing the web, looking at pics, etc.

That's not good. BSOD's are not a good sign of a healthy computer. Typically they happen for driver errors, but also can be related to faulty hardware (RAM, CPU, etc). Like OM said, probably time to call a computer tech.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/04/21 08:58 AM
Simon.
by any chance have you come across a list on the net of multi client capable audio interfaces.
i did a search yesterday , and could not find such a list. it seems so many manufacturers dont state if they are MC.
might i suggest , if pg have one, they post the list as a sticky, cos this multi client need where people are useing multiple music software at the same time, is not going away.

i know rme are MC. but obviously too pricey for lots of project studios.
i "think" at the budget level NI komplete is , please confirm.
what about maudio's ? or the nice motu m2/m4 ?

lets see if bernier has more info bout his pc.
best regards.
oldmuso
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 issues - 09/07/21 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Simon.
by any chance have you come across a list on the net of multi client capable audio interfaces.
i did a search yesterday , and could not find such a list. it seems so many manufacturers dont state if they are MC.
might i suggest , if pg have one, they post the list as a sticky, cos this multi client need where people are useing multiple music software at the same time, is not going away.

i know rme are MC. but obviously too pricey for lots of project studios.
i "think" at the budget level NI komplete is , please confirm.
what about maudio's ? or the nice motu m2/m4 ?

lets see if bernier has more info bout his pc.
best regards.
oldmuso

I do not have such a list. If you would like me to create one, please buy one of every audio interface ever made and mail them to me here at PG and I'd be happy to test them!

The ones I know of are Focusrite, RME, MOTU, Native Instruments, and possibly Steinberg. Don't take my list as canon though, as I know not all interfaces from those brands do multi-client, and not even all the recent ones!
© PG Music Forums