PG Music Home
Posted By: lobster using Soundcraft MKT 12 [Resolved] - 02/08/22 07:52 PM
Hi:

Recently I got a console of Soundcraft Mkt12, with the intention to record audio and workout all channels separately.
I have the option to use Ableton, but I should have to learn it, instead I have also PowerTracks 2020 and think it can manage to do the job.
Soundcraft uses a Asio driver and I'm not clear how to implement it, or if the are some experience in the Forum.
Would be happy to here some information about this.
Posted By: rharv Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 02/08/22 08:42 PM
If you enable the ASIO driver in Powertracks, what shows up in
Options-Prefs-Audio-Drivers?

In the Audio window you can enable ASIO, then click the Drivers button to enable/disable the available inputs.

If you could post an image of your Drivers window, that would help a bunch.

Do you want to use the Soundcraft for just an input?
Are you using other monitors for listening, or do you intend to use it for both In/Out?

The ASIO device has to be connected to the computer and turned on before launching PT. If not, close and reopen PT after doing so.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 02/08/22 08:58 PM
guys.
i seem to remember i looked at a used mk awhile back.
if i remember one can record on multiple channels.
but of course be aware that it all has to be set up correctly in not only windows audio devices but also
in ptraks drivers as rharv mentioned as well as like most mixers of this ilk...setting up the traks one wishes to record on.... in ptraks.
it will be the same whatever daw is used. ableton or reaper or any other daw. correct set up is of primary importance.

ideally also if were me i would make sure i was recording the traks to a decent pc rather than some old clunker
of yore.
to the op...tech details on your pc would help others assess the situation better.
i would also suggest one records and plays back from
a fast ssd drive "different" from the one that is used
by the win os.
otherwise win might interrupt recording processes running.
...is this alaptop or desktop. ?

another point is ...i keep my recording pc off the net otherwise there is a possibility that anti virus and
net tasks/processes and other win tasks can interrupt the primary recording daw task.

the above is what i recommend...ie dont load the pc with lots of tasks running at the same time primary recording process is takeing place.

feel free to disregard the advice and run ones own tests.

to the op , please confirm that the mixer comes with its own control panel...and please post pics of your win recording n playback settings as well as a pic of your ptraks settings and the mixer software user control panel.

frankly a LOT of people get frustrated settings things
up properly. be aware there IS a learning curve often.

also if i remember you tube has videos on setting up a mk to record to multiple traks in a daw on a pc.

hth/ymmv
om
Posted By: lobster Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 02/10/22 08:34 AM
Hi:

Well I try it, as regularly used in PWTR, and there I saw also the Soundcraft own Asio driver: see added files.

In the second files I could see and anomaly, that in case of Soundcraft mkt12 recording procedure has to choose channel 14 as input, or in my case I try channel 7/8, and as output would be channel 11/12 (each as mono, monitoring of played), the result shows in the second file : PWTR. didn't get any input, even there was indicating channel 7/8.

I try it in Ableton, for the first time ever, and there was no problem.

So I'm not sure if there is somehow an improvement of adapting the Asio driver of Soundcraft for the use with Powertracks necessary.

I hear any comment, thanks

Attached picture PWTR-Audio driver selection.png
Attached picture PWTR-Recording.png
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 02/10/22 09:11 PM
Lobster.
heres the pg faq.
re recording multiple audio traks.
https://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq65.htm#21

per the above faq it looks like you have not selected
multiple input ports ?

have you seen the above faq ?
if i remember also if you familiarise yourself with
ptraks classics view ...notice the Pt setting meaning port assignments. like you can in tracks view.

are your ports assigned properly ?

failing above hopefully rharv will jump in as i
dont want to misinform you.
also you can always contact pg support.

best/hth
om

Posted By: lobster Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 02/20/22 10:06 AM
That's exactly the point! smile
Soundcraft MTK12 uses a specific Asio driver which outputs all the recording tracks trough Channel 14, so is the USB driver setup, for example for Ableton, and others.
That's why I did so in PWTR.
At this point, I thing that there is not a possibility if PWTR. don't have accordingly Asio capability to interpret that input from USB Channel 14.
I may be wrong! the Asio driver that I used for other records from my Technics KN 3000 in PWTR., which worked fine, was the Asio for all.
But this don't apply to the Soundcraft MTK12.
Today I try it again, and got an anwwer about he Asio driver:

The report of Asio refer to a MAC driver

Attached picture PWTR-selection channel-error Asio.png
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 02/20/22 01:10 PM
Lobster...i assume your on pc.
only the message suggests your trying to load a mac driver in ...make sure your useing a pc driver not mac.
in ptw..traks view.
1. right clik over a trak eg trak 1 and a long menu comes up.
what does menu say for "PORT".??
on other traks what does port say ?
2. have you tried asio4all instead of the mtk asio driver ?

i know one can record multiple inputs to different traks
as people like rharv do it.

its prolly a set up issue somehow.
please elaborate...
you said...
outputs all the recording tracks through Channel 14.
do you mean playback of stereo mix via 14th input on mtk ?
each input should be recording to its own trak.
best
om
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 02/20/22 03:36 PM
LOBSTER.
ADDED INFO.
ive gone through the soundcraft manual in detail.
1. make sure you read the pc sections.
2. go to the reaper pc set up part of the manual and read
the instructions. its similar for ptw...
ie select soundcraft asio, and IDENTIFY WHAT INPUTS AND OUTPUTS (via usb) you wish to utilise.
so if say you want to record mtk inputs 1 thru 4 then hilite them in the drivers section.
AS A CHECK IN WINDOWS check the asio driver has been installed per soundcraft manual instructions.

if above dont work load up asio4all and see if the mtk
is listed as an option. it should be. IF mtk has been
registered in windows.
once again in asio4all you will need to identify the routing you want. youll notice the soundcraft manual goes into detail re routing....

failing above i would contact pg support and/or soundcraft support.
NOTE CAREFULLY IN THE MTK MANUAL the section bout setting up mtk as default sound device.
but also note the wrinkle this will allow you to play eg wav/mp3 outside ptw. BUT this will also send win sounds
to the mtk...thus you need to turn this off in win.

posting pics of your win recording n playbck settings would help people help you further.

the above is about the only help i can give you.

hth
om
Posted By: rharv Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 02/21/22 01:49 AM
om, and OP (lobster) ..
'MAC based' may mean something completely different than what you are thinking
https://techterms.com/definition/macaddress
It's a different way of addressing devices (in Windows, not an Apple induced thing)

My question would be does does this unit have software that comes with it?
Some devices have a separate software that allows routing inputs to outputs, but if PT can't talk to it in the first place, that is not going to help.

As OP noted; previously he was able to use a third party driver (ASIO4All) to make his previous device work .. maybe Windows WAS driver can be a workaround for this issue, but it does appear to be a much more fundamental driver problem from lobster's posted image of the error.

This is a new thing to me for an audio device (being MAC based) .. wish I could help more, but maybe I added some sort of clarity to the issue
Posted By: lobster Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 02/21/22 06:23 AM
Hi:

Well I'd recorded in this PC-Windows already on Ableton, with the Asio driver provided (latest) by Soundcraft, so it's this report of been using a driver MAC isn't somehow typical software (I don't know!).
I will look of the options you mention from Reaper, if this is a way, but there suppose to be the use of the Asio driver of Soundcraft trough USB Channel 14 ( collects all inputs), the output channels goes back to the Console trough Channel 12, for to listening or tweaking.
You know as soon the driver is installed, there is an icon placed on Windows , where are all the channels, inputs and outputs, are shown, and the volumes can me prepare. As in PWTR. choosing the Soundcraft Asio driver, the channels have to be choosen. I my case using PWTR, I just could see just one input channel.
I tried also with Asio for all, as normal did other times, I said before by recording my Technics KN 3000.
This driver can't see all the channels, just 1 & 2 (left & right).
Appreciate you help, thanks, probably I will contact Soundcraft and hear what they say, depends on that I'll do a request by PG.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 02/21/22 06:07 PM
Lobster.
Please run this test.
1. In ptw drivers hilite the first 4 channels in the input drivers screen.INSTEAD OF 13/14 .
ie INPUT PORTS 1 and 3...1/2 and 3/4...per your drivers graphic up thread.
2. Make sure you clik on trak 1 in the traks view per pg faq.
3. Now in line input 1 of mtk attach a drum machine or whatever and hit record in ptw…for a few seconds….and stop. DO YOU SEE in ptw trak 1 a waveform ? ..IF YOU DO…proceed to next step..
4. Attach drum machine to mtk input 2…and repeat.
ie Same steps…DO YOU SEE A RECORDED WAVEFORM ON TRAK 2 in ptw.
Repeat for attaching drum machine to input 3 of mtk…etc etc.

This everything on 14 you mention i dont see in the user manual of the mtk.
What page do you see that on ? cos it doesnt make sense to me, but i’m prepared to be proved wrong.

Please run the drum machine test BUT NOT AT HUGE LEVELS TO START and get back to me...also tell me if you see levels on the ptw recording and playback meters.

NOTE THIS FROM THE PG FAQ !!

Note: Multi-port audio recording will only work if (1) the current audio track is a Stereo audio track -or- the current audio track is Mono and the input channel is set to L+R (Options | Preferences | Audio) and (2) there are multiple audio input ports selected in Options | Preferences | Audio | Drivers. BUT YOU HAVENT SELECTED MULTIPLE INPUT PORTS.
please read faq above.

Best
om
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 02/22/22 03:52 PM
I downloaded the Soundcraft MKT-12 recording manual (there is also a user manual available for download). The recording manual clearly states:
Quote:
For PCs, Soundcraft multichannel USB ASIO/WDM drivers are required (available for download on the Soundcraft website) and are used to adjust settings such as buffer depth and streaming mode.
MAC® computers do not require these drivers as the Signature MTK USB audio interface uses Apple® Core Audio drivers
+++ HERE +++ is a link to the model's webpage on the manufacturer's website.

The newest manufacture supplied USB driver is v3.20 released March 25, 2019. The installer includes both WDM and ASIO drivers.

Quote:
* USB Interface Compatibility:
PC: Supports Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10.
Mac: Supports Mac OS 10.7.x Lion through 10.11.x El Capitan

USB outputs per the recording manual:
Quote:
USB Send and Return channels are numbered according to console channel ledgering, so Signature 12MTK’s input channels 1-12 for example are patched to USB audio channels 1-12. The 2-track (Master Left/Right) output uses the last 2 USB channels on each console and is always actively sending post fader level down the USB stream.

Lobster, the recording manual provides step-by-step set up instructions.
Posted By: lobster Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 02/23/22 01:41 PM
Hi Jim:

I had read that manual indeed,thanks, and all the time been using the lastest driver from the start, there is no problem with the software they propose.
However I had just consulted an expert from Soundcraft, an the way the driver operates is considering the Console (MTK) as Hardware, so the driver is matched for Ableton, Reaper and MAC and so on.
The Asio driver for Soundcraft MTK 12, probably could be surely adapted to be used in PowerTracks, that's would be sure nice!!!
I try Asio4 all, but the expert say it can't handle the Console!!
So I'm stucked, will have to use Ableton for Audio recording in this case.
Posted By: lobster Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 08/28/22 08:56 AM
Hi guys:

After updating from version 2020 to 2022, I have good news for me regarding the use of this Soundcraft 12 MTK, the fact is that even though is not possible to record all channels separately (get only 2 channels output from Port 13-14), the midi options works, so for me in the case of audio, I keep Ableton for that and work with PTW64 for the midi. Of course, after recording audio, those files can be transfered to PWT each one, when needed.

Posted By: rharv Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 08/28/22 11:15 AM
Originally Posted By: lobster
Hi guys:

After updating from version 2020 to 2022, I have good news for me regarding the use of this Soundcraft 12 MTK, the fact is that even though is not possible to record all channels separately (get only 2 channels output from Port 13-14), the midi options works, so for me in the case of audio, I keep Ableton for that and work with PTW64 for the midi. Of course, after recording audio, those files can be transfered to PWT each one, when needed.

Yes using Ableton is a possible work-around.
However your previous screen shots show multiple 12MTK inputs available to PTW.
Have you tried holding down the CTRL button and selecting multiple inputs?

Attached picture MultiInput.jpg
Posted By: lobster Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 08/29/22 07:28 AM
Hi:
Yes, they appear to be available, but the input is resume to the full OUTPUT Channel 13-14, which is the way it works for Soundcraft 12 MTK-in recording mode, however they really will be shown in Ableton, in my case,or any other software related, separately, which I couldn't get in PWT.
I will try what you propose, who knows, might be the solution.
I will write back.
Posted By: lobster Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 08/29/22 08:32 AM
Hi:
Yes, they appear to be available, but the input is resume to the full OUTPUT Channel 13-14, which is the way it works for Soundcraft 12 MTK-in recording mode, however they really will be shown in Ableton, in my case,or any other software related, separately, which I couldn't get in PWT.
I will write back.

Well I try immediately and the results follow as:

In the first , you can see that I chose the inputs,and the following :

Attached picture driver setup-29.8.22.jpg
Attached picture recording.jpg
Attached picture recording-1.jpg
Attached picture recording-2.jpg
Posted By: lobster Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 08/29/22 08:50 AM
[quote=lobster]Hi:
I will write back.

Well I try immediately and the results follow as:

Posted By: rharv Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 08/29/22 06:17 PM
Well this is confusing.
Your reply at 7:50AM doesn't show any results.
But the thread is now marked as resolved.

Can you share what worked for you, if it is indeed resolved?
Posted By: lobster Re: using Soundcraft MKT 12 - 09/05/22 12:27 PM
Hi:

Resuming: I found that there was every channel recorded, however at first this looked like very low input, almost that for my eyes (I did in my laptop) nothings were there, so couldn't see well and my impression was that that were no inputs.
Then I wrote immediately what appears, but I did corrections of findings also writing the final results, apologizing for my error. I move every wave out and amplified so I saw them rightly.

All this doesn't appear in the tread, don't know why!! I could see it, after I did write it.

I hope this enough to clear it up.

Even though I did close as resolved, I will keep informing how is going and eventually new experiences, that would help anyone to be able to use it in PWT.
© PG Music Forums