PG Music Home
Posted By: Paj Bugs and Shrugs - 05/23/22 03:26 PM
The bugs: When entering a note in notation mode, sometimes the right click places it on the staff, sometimes you have to use only the left-click (PITA) menu. In any event (pun intended), if the note entry is on the downbeat of the very first beat (first gridline), it usually does not display in edit mode. In other words, note entry is not consistent. Things get even worse in Piano Roll.

Shrugs: "Snap to Beat?" It used to be obvious but obviously not any more. In "Snap to Beat" mode I can place the vertical edit/timeline anywhere in between a beat and not always on the beat. Maybe the button is just not named/highlighted correctly.

Paj
8^)
Posted By: Jerry - PG Music Re: Bugs and Shrugs - 05/23/22 07:34 PM
Hello Paj,

When you enter Editable Notation mode, are you able to see the vertical dotted lines denoting the beat resolution? The beats will be set in groups of whatever your current beat resolution is set to, but the first dotted line of each grouping will always be on the beat.

Hope this helps!
Posted By: Paj Re: Bugs and Shrugs - 06/15/22 02:59 PM
Yes, I'm in the right mode and the lines are visible. The entered note on the very first beat of the very first bar sounds but does not display in Edit mode. If I leave Edit mode, it displays.

And again, in Track display: It used to be obvious but "Snap to Beat" obviously means something different now. With the "Snap to Beat" button selected I can place the vertical edit/timeline anywhere in between a beat and not always on the beat. Maybe the button is just not named/highlighted correctly.

Paj
8^)

Posted By: Jerry - PG Music Re: Bugs and Shrugs - 06/23/22 12:17 PM
Which version of PowerTracks Pro Audio are you using? You can find this information in PowerTracks by clicking | Help | About PowerTracks |.
Posted By: Paj Re: Bugs and Shrugs - 07/14/22 09:27 PM
Version 2022 [2] [64-bit]

Paj
8^)
Posted By: Paj Re: Bugs and Shrugs - 07/22/22 10:11 PM
Ping.

Jerry?

Paj
8^?
Posted By: Jerry - PG Music Re: Bugs and Shrugs - 07/26/22 05:51 PM
I'm sorry for the delay in my response, Paj!

The [Snap to beat] button causes the time indicator to snap to the nearest beat when changing the time location or when highlighting a
region for editing. When the Snap to beat option is selected, the arrow will turn green and the button will read [Snap to grid]. You can then set the grid in which you would like the cursor to snap to by right-clicking on the track in the Tracks view, selecting | Grid lines | and setting the desired subdivisions of gridlines you'd like to set per beat.

As far as I have been able to test, this function is working as intended in the version you currently have installed. Is the Snap to beat function selected when experiencing this issue? What is currently selected in your | Grid lines | option?
Posted By: Paj Re: Bugs and Shrugs - 07/27/22 04:27 PM
Snap To Beat is a complete, incomprehensible joke. Why can you select in between beats when it's set to Snap To Beat? It snaps to nothing, and that's probably a third option that you should reference on said button. Snap to Grid does everything that the Snap To Beat banner claims. However, Snap To Grid is very unreliable when selecting beat/gridlines, depending on how much the view is expanded or contracted in the track view. Some gridlines will just not select and this is without rhyme or reason. Expanding the view often lets you select it but then other gridlines/beats become unselectable. In the newer versions of PT, this whole process has become flakey. I've tried varying all the options in the Grid Settings menu. I've been using PT now for going on two decades and do you think that something that changes your workflow as noticeably as correctly selecting a desired section is imagined?

Snap To Beat/Grid needs to be improved or, displayed/set up correctly, or, better still, restored to the way it used to be.

When you say it's functioning as intended maybe you could further explain (beyond the manual and the help banners) exactly what Snap To Beat and Snap To Grid means to you.

Sincerely,
Paj
8^(
© PG Music Forums