PG Music Home
Posted By: Ryszard Vocal Tricks of the Stars, Part I - 04/27/08 02:16 AM
This technique is used by those divas who can't sing, but make a fortune at it. You know who I'm talking about. It's also good for those who have reasonably good voices but not such good pitch control, and in live situations where you cannot hear yourself well. It requires a DAW or sequencer, and a harmonizer or multieffects unit with a 'harmonize' function.

Sequence the melody of a song into a DAW on a MIDI track. Run the MIDI Out of that track to the MIDI In of a harmonizer. Set the Harmonization interval to 0 (no offset). Then run the vocals through the effect at 100% 'wet'. As long as the singer's phrasing matches the sequenced melody, and the part is sung reasonably in tune, the output will be in tune.

Hey, it works for Brittany!
Posted By: MikeK Re: Vocal Tricks of the Stars, Part I - 04/27/08 05:14 PM
In Sonar, there is a nice plugin called V-Vocal. It does the trick quite nicely. Not very complicated. The only trick is to adjust pitch of the vocals before you apply any effects, such as reverb, etc.

Edit to add: you can edit the vocals straight from the WAV file. Very convenient. And you hear the results as you make changes to pitch, etc.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Vocal Tricks of the Stars, Part I - 04/27/08 05:51 PM
I should have specified that this is for realtime correction, and useful in live situations.

Raises a question, though. Wonder what out-of-tune reverb would sound like against in-tune vocals? Interesting, if not musically useful . . . hmmm . . . what if it could be made musically useful?
Posted By: WienSam Re: Vocal Tricks of the Stars, Part I - 04/28/08 01:26 PM
Can we achieve this with PowerTracks?
Posted By: Mike sings Re: Vocal Tricks of the Stars, Part I - 04/28/08 08:55 PM
Why Sam, do you want to sound like Brittany?
Posted By: WienSam Re: Vocal Tricks of the Stars, Part I - 04/28/08 11:09 PM
NO! God forbid!

Just interested in any little tricks that go. You never know, eh?

Give me live anyday
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Vocal Tricks of the Stars, Part I - 05/01/08 03:23 AM
Quote:

Can we achieve this with PowerTracks?

Yes. You can do this with any DAW or sequencer in which you can devote a MIDI track to melody--which should be any of them. It is the same technique BIAB uses to drive a harmonizer, only monophonic.
Posted By: WienSam Re: Vocal Tricks of the Stars, Part I - 05/03/08 11:38 AM
So where's the harmoniser in PTPA or is it a separate piece of software?

Quote:

Sequence the melody of a song into a DAW on a MIDI track. Run the MIDI Out of that track to the MIDI In of a harmonizer.

And then presumably run the harmoniser back into PTPA for recording?
Posted By: John Conley Re: Vocal Tricks of the Stars, Part I - 05/16/08 12:43 PM
Check 'pitch correction'. Isn't the pitch correction the same in PT as Biab? It's in there.
© PG Music Forums