PG Music Home
Posted By: Noel96 How to: add images to posts - 08/05/12 02:01 AM
Recently, some people have asked me how I add images to posts. Just in case others are interested, I thought I'd outline how I go about doing it.

BACKGROUND
For an image to be able to be posted, it needs to have a web address. This can be accomplished in many ways: for example uploading an image to your homepage or using Flickr, TinyPic, Photobucket, etc. The URL below is a list of picture hosting sites; some are free, some are not.

... link to a list of photosharing sites

Once an image is uploaded to the web, it has a web address and this makes it possible to link the image into a PG Music forum's post.

WHAT I USE
I personally prefer to use Dropbox (found here) as a way of making images available to the web.

I like Dropbox because …
  • It is free (up to 2 GB storage)
  • I do everything in a Dropbox folder on my computer's desktop and Dropbox does the rest. I don't need to worry about uploading or anything. That's taken care of in the background by Dropbox.

MY PROCESS
  • I use Windows snipping tool to crop a section of the screen that I want to post.
  • Next, I save the clipped image as a jpg file in a PG Music subfolder of the Public folder found by double-clicking the Dropbox icon on my desktop.
  • When Dropbox is installed, it adds options to Explorer's right-click menu. I right-click on the image and then select “Copy public link”

• I now paste that link between the html image commands in a post, as shown below.

• That's it.

A WORD OF CAUTION: The PG Music forum window has a limited size so it's important to ensure that images fit within the space.
Posted By: pghboemike Re: How to: add images to posts - 08/05/12 03:08 PM
Thank you
very clear instructions
Posted By: Mandolin Mike Re: How to: add images to posts - 08/05/12 04:05 PM
A test: Couple of pics...

My recording gear:

The Rokit 6's are new. Just bought them last night. Now I can hear just how bad my recordings really sound...;)

My instrument wall:

I'm more fortunate than I sometimes deserve!

Thanks for this tip as well as all the other tips, Noel!
Posted By: MountainSide Re: How to: add images to posts - 08/08/12 12:51 PM
Thanks for posting Noel. This really helps others here on the forum to "see" the issues others are having and to post some great learning tips.

Jeff
Posted By: MarioD Re: How to: add images to posts - 08/10/12 09:48 PM
Thanx for such clear instructions. Now I know how to do this!
Posted By: Shastastan Re: How to: add images to posts - 08/16/12 06:50 PM
Another thank you, Noel. For screen shots, I use a little program called PrtScr. It saves as .jpg and you can crop before you save. I've copied lots of helpful posts from various forums, file lists, or what have you, to the desktop. Oh yeah....it's free.

Stan
Posted By: Noel96 Re: How to: add images to posts - 08/18/12 04:27 AM
I'm glad the information was useful to some

Stan: Thank you for telling me about PrtScr. I've just installed it. It's brilliant. Up till now, I've been using a combination of the keyboard button "Print Screen" and GIMP to get images of the multi-level menus. This little program that you've recommended is much more efficient

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Shastastan Re: How to: add images to posts - 08/19/12 05:19 PM
Noel, You do so much to help us out. You've made my day by letting me know that I was able to do something to help you.

Stan
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: How to: add images to posts - 08/19/12 06:15 PM
Yikes, watch out for hazards with PrtScr:

Don't click on the advertisement for a competitor, Snagit

Do a Custom install and uncheck all the add-ons like Yahoo toolbar

Decline more options for Games & Save Children

Don't install Yahoo toolbar that was downloaded anyway!

Uninstall 7-Zip

Then you're ready.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: How to: add images to posts - 08/19/12 08:01 PM
Hi Matt,

I didn't have any of those issues. I got the program from

http://www.fiastarta.com/PrtScr/Download.html

Your warning is well heeded, though, and it's great you posted this reminder to all. These days I find that it's imperative to do Custom installs and deselect all the optional extras.

As an example: Recently, I recommended 7-zip. I downloaded and reinstalled it before recommending it just to be sure it was safe. All went well for me. There were no added annoyances rearing ugly heads so I told them about the program. The person to whom I recommended software, though, had a 64-bit system (mine's 32-bit). They ran the 64-bit install and were confronted with similar to what you list above. I also suspect it depends upon where one gets the installation file from on the 'net and how some of the host sites "dress up" these freeware programs to make money from advertisers.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Shastastan Re: How to: add images to posts - 08/19/12 10:53 PM
It must depend on where you get 7 zip from because I have 64 bit win 7 and no problems. I mainly use it because I had used RAR for many years to access Allanah's files. I didn't want to buy rar again when I changed to my current desktop. There are a lot of programs that try to force stuff on you though. As Matt points out, you have to be careful. What really ticks me off is when I try to buy something online and they try to force you to set up an account first. I do have an account at Amazon, but I buy lots of stuff there. However, I've just done without some things because I didn't want to open an account with some rinky dink outfit.

As to PrtScr, I think that I downloaded an older version since I was already satisfied with the version I had prior to the crash. No ads or new toolbar issues that I recall.

Stan
Posted By: joden Re: How to: add images to posts - 02/04/13 04:43 PM
Of course one can simply use the included Snipping Tool that comes with Windows 7

No downloads, no registration, no anything - juts use it

It works really well and allows saves in the usual internet format pics. If you want to crop and do other stuff there is always the Windows 7 paint program...also comes with a windows 7 install.

Just offering some alternatives here is all

Cheers,

Dennis
© PG Music Forums