PG Music Home
For those users here new to songwriting. I found this short - approx ten minute - video from a successful Nashville songwriter/publisher that includes a great checklist to improve your songs.

The video is aimed at beginning country songwriters but the suggestions apply across most genres. I think it will be helpful for those writing original songs just for fun to post on the users showcase and helpful for those wanting to get started really learning the craft.

Disclaimer: This video was obviously originally made to promote a book. I have no association with this company. I’m sharing this link only as a helpful tool as stated above. There are lots of great books and videos available from other sources.

What I like about this video is that it covers many common mistakes beginning songwriters make. Good info. And it’s short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE-XNmvcS7E&feature=related
Nice find Josie,

It's little things like this that may get me back to writing.

Thanks,
There is a lot of good information here.

Thanx Josie
You're welcome!
Pretty dang good video. I'll have to post this at a couple of songwriting forums that I belong to!
Great info. I've written the 10 tips down and now need to rewrite (if not, all) of my songs.
Josie,
Thanks for posting these tips. I've thought about all those concepts but it's nice to have a checklist.
SD
Dear Ms. Sundance...

That was one of the most useful "advice" about songwriting presentations I've seen. Mr. Cupit is down-to-earth and relaxed, not hyped-up and talking a mile-a-minute, for one thing. Also, most of his advice concerns literary values that a good writer upholds: avoiding repetition, maintaining a conversational voice, and eliminating words that don't "move the song forward". He could be an English instructor.

I write "jazz" songs mostly, but, as you said, Mr. Cupit's advice is useful across all genres because his focus on how to improve our songs emphasizes strongly the literary standards that help to refine and enhance the way we communicate with each other.

In another way, the video was a "wake-up" call, too. I would not have sought out an opinion about writing jazz songs from a country/western songwriter, but now I think I can safely say that genre isn't necessarily an obstacle to sharing ideas.

Thank you for posting the video. Sincerely,

bluage
The secret to writing a good song is to REWRITE.... and not just one time.

Many of the songs I have written were re-written 6 to 8 times...some almost 2x that. I write with a co-writer and we often bounce the rewrite back and forth many times before we are satisfied with the results.

Is anyone here a member of the Nashville Songwriters Assn? If you are not a member, and write country primarily, you might be interested in knowing that as a member, you have access to a remarkable "private" library of videos and seminars conducted by the best of the best in Nashville.... not counting the detailed evaluations you get and the networking events they hold every year.

The best advice I can give is to learn all you can in every way you can about writing. For most of us it is not a natural talent but it is an acquired skill that can be learned and improved with time and mentoring and work on your part.
Posted By: Rick Hansen Thanks for the link - 12/19/12 12:51 AM
One of the few like this I've watched all the way thru.

Good Stuff !

R
Posted By: mglinert Re: Thanks for the link - 12/20/12 11:22 AM
the tattle? the tattle !??!

oh, I get it, the title !!!
Posted By: fiskenjaxon Re: Thanks for the link - 12/22/12 11:10 AM
This is a must watch for all those who are just starting out. Sometimes we ran out of ideas on what to write, but with these tips we can get going. Thanks for a great share.

Regards,
Jaxon
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Thanks for the link - 02/07/13 12:22 AM
If you are a country writer... or aspiring to be, check out the Nashville Songwriters Association.

As a member you have access to hundreds of video's in their library on every aspect of the business.
Posted By: av84fun Re: Thanks for the link - 03/03/13 05:35 AM
Quote:

If you are a country writer... or aspiring to be, check out the Nashville Songwriters Association.

As a member you have access to hundreds of video's in their library on every aspect of the business.

+1

As a publisher in Nashville for 15+ years I can tell you for a FACT that the NSA is a fabulous resource for all country songwriters...aspiring or otherwise.

Best,
Jim
Posted By: Dazzman Re: Thanks for the link - 03/03/13 05:10 PM
Quote:

The secret to writing a good song is to REWRITE.... and not just one time.

Formula writing IMO is the quickest way to copycat ideas and to a contrived song that sounds the same as everything else.

Whilst I agree its fun to write and re write a song over and over and I have done this too i.e make a balad into an uptempo and vice versa , you don't necessarily end up with a better song just another version that some people might like better than the original idea. If the original idea isn't up to much then write another song.

George Micheal had not even written the songs on his 1987 "Faith" (Double Grammy Award Winning Album) when he went into the studio, in fact he wrote the lyrics in front of the mic as they were recording the lead vocals for the record, there were no demo tapes at all.

Writing is a feel you either have it or you don't, also its not what you do but the way you do it and the groove you create, atmosphere etc.

Nice video with perhaps some useful insight but this wont be why you write your next hit song.

Regards
Darren
Posted By: Sundance Re: Thanks for the link - 03/05/13 05:02 AM
Thanks for input everybody.

I believe anything that furthers learning the craft only adds more tools to a songwriter's creative toolbox. It doesn't take anything away.

The more "whats" you know, the more "ways" you can do your own thing and create your own groove.

BTW, if you haven't signed up already, you might want to check out the free songwriting course from Berklee.

https://www.coursera.org/#course/songwriting
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Thanks for the link - 03/05/13 06:28 PM
Here's another good video I found on that same page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wBOUJ5Mbrk

It's long, but there is some great stuff there.

Regards,

Bob
© PG Music Forums